The Sokha hotel is what you'd expect (in a good way) from a hotel in this star and price range. I definitely recommend it as a splurge stay in Sihanoukville.
The room was big, beautiful, and well-air-conditioned; the bathroom was lovely and had a separate bathtub and shower.
The hotel is on its own big beach, which is big and beautiful and not very populated. You can also walk to the public beach (there's no obnoxious barrier between them; seems to be some kind of honor system) and to a small fishing village at the other end (with painfully adorable kids who like saying "hello!"). The beach here is pretty flat, so I think it would be great for kids; it was definitely great swimming for us.
What I also liked is that the place was pretty understated. It was big and fancy and had a nice pool and all that, but it wasn't overly opulent.
Breakfast was a huge buffet with lots of western and Khmer food, and it was included in the price. The hotel also has a couple restaurants; we ate at the one on the beach, and while the food wasn't amazing, the view and atmosphere were.
The service was fantastic, no problems at all and everyone was very helpful. My boyfriend wasn't thrilled with the high numbers of tourists, but hey, it's a hotel. And I was more bothered by the sex-tourism ambience we came across at a restaurant in town than by the non-sex-tourists at Sokha.
Our only complaint was that they charged a huge amount for bottled water. You can't drink the water there (as they explicitly note in the room), so it seems like bad form to charge as much as $4.50 (!) for a 1.5 liter bottle of water. But really, that's the only negative I can think of.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sokha Beach Resort is set amidst 23.5 hectares of beautifully landscaped beachfront and garden with its own 1.5 kilometer pristine white sandy beach. Voted amongst the Best New Hotels in the World in Condé Nast Traveler Magazine's Ninth Annual Hot List 2005, this resort is certainly a top choice when vacationing in South East Asia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Sokha Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sokha Beach Hotel Sihanoukville
- Sokha Beach Sihanoukville