“Not impressed at all” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 36 Activities in Sihanoukville
Type: Amusement
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Scuba dive center We offer fast boats output. On the islands of Koh Rong, kon koh koh tang. Groups of 4 person maximum per instructor CMAS and PADI We teach PADI open water to divemaster Possibility of accommodation on the island of Koh Rong Sun Samloem eco village
London, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
“Not impressed at all”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I was diving with Frogman on Koh Rong Samloem and was not impressed by the safety, the service or the value for money. They happened to be the most expensive dive school on the island.

With just 15 dives, I consider myself a beginner. The dive master who was going to do my buddy did not do any safety checks with me or let me check his stuff. I expressedly asked him if he could have a look at whether I did everything correctly.

There were 4 divers and 2 snorkelers on the little dingy with the dive master. This meant that everyone left the boat. I don't even want to imagine what would have happened if there had been a strong current or a problem. There was no one on the boat to pick us up.

The first dive was ok. The coral was nice and the dive master pointed out sting rays, nudibranches, etc.. After a dive of a little under 60 minutes we climbed back into the boat and after a 5 minutes ride arrived at our second dive site. The dive master was in a hurry because he was responsible for the shuttle service for one of the day-tour boats. So after a surface interval of 10 minutes we went under water again. After 45 minutes we had to resurface again to hurry back to the island. The large boat was already waiting for him to take its passengers to land.

He dropped us at my resort: the lunch that was included in the dive trip was to be had at the resort, because there was not time to do anything else. There were talks about lunch in the fishing village when I would. In the end, we could order anything up 5 USD: which left a huge choice of fried rice or fried noodles. Haha.

The already expensive dives became more and more expensive with the short dive times and the most minimalistic lunch I ever had on dive trip.

What I found also very odd: under water, rather than using his fins for swimming, the dive master, on many occasions, grabbed the coral to pull himself forward. I much prefer no-touching policies I have to say. There was no current or anything that made it necessary to hold on to something.

All in all, I wasn't impressed with the experience with Frogman. For the remainder of my stay on Koh Rong Samloem, I dived with a different dive center and was much happier and felt much safer.

I did complain but that fell on deaf ears. The dive master said he was leaving too and basically he started a rant. Great. Oh well, a problem shared is a problem halved I guess....

Visited April 2014

Sheffield, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“Great discover dive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Very good first time dive. Nice and reassuring instructor and a very safe place to learn and to dive. Also Eric's boat journey home was very entertaining

Visited February 2014
Brisbane, Australia
“What I expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

After talking to a French guy at a place up the road "Koh Rong Diving" and being treated with arrogance like I was an amateur diver, I was pleased to be greeted politely by another French guy, Damien who I believe co-runs the shop. He was very informative about the whole operation of the boats and diving so I gave it a shot.

All in all, I am honest in saying the dives themselves were the least exciting part of the day. 5-10m visibility (as expected) and not a lot of live coral or interesting sea creatures. The water was a lovely temperature so I was just happy to go for a frolic.

Hold on tight if you take the "commando" out though (8m rubber inflatable dingy) because there were a number of times I thought I was going to get thrown out!

Also be prepared to not be included in their conversations unless you are fluent in French.

The boat trip back was fun on the big boat. I was rather thirsty by this point so consumed a number of Angkor draft beers!

To conclude, very average diving but an interesting adventure. Only for confident divers and those willing for an unusual diving experience!

Oldenburg, Germany
“Better know what you do...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

I booked the one day / two dive trip through Erics business partner via phone couple days ahead.
The evening before I happen to walk by the shop and wanted to introduce myself. No reservation in my name. Somewhere lost in the action.
Friendly as he is, Eric organized a spot on the zodiac for the next morning.
Normal business hour 08.00 am but asked me to be there 07.45 am. No problem.
Only that he arrives ten after 8... No
Once the 4 divers and dive guide arrive at the dive spot, guide tells us, that he can't dive -> terrible cold stuffed his ears and nose.. If we would mind going by ourselfs.
Luckily the four of us got along very well and had the same level of experience. We would manage.

Between the two dives the guide served very good lunch and cold soft drinks on a nice beach. Chance to go for a swim or a quick snooze.
Once asked about return time to port he responded that we would join the "Sun Tours"- boat and get towed back to Snooky because he only had 10 l of gas in the tank. It's an 80 hp - Engine and we had 1,5 m waves on the way out.

If you are an experienced diver and you can deal with the chaos, the outfitter is ok.

Visited February 2014
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“racists and unsafe boat trip”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

they were the worst French I ever met,really racist,we were there for try diving as we already planned for a long time as we work in PP rarely have a long holiday.So the staff in the shop told us no problem,sized up for gears ect. without any medical forms to filled in.(I dont think it's a right way to do as I read on Padi).so i asked,and they said"no problem",ok then.The next day,we have been told that we only can dive around in Sarason Bay when their big ferry drop off there,because they have french customers want to go further with their speed plastic boat.We were pissed off,but ok we were on holiday.The diving was terrible,we saw nothing but sand,is it really a company for diving?

Visited January 2014