“Deceptive "Hotel Amenities"” 1 of 5 stars

Otres Beach, Sihanoukville, Cambodia   |
Melbourne, Australia
“Deceptive "Hotel Amenities"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My friends and I paid considerably more to stay at White Beach Bungalows based on information listed both here on the TripAdvisor website and the Sihanouk Ville Visitors Guide. Note that there is no fitness centre or swimming pool as listed on TripAdvisor and definitely NO air conditioning, DVD or even hot water as clearly stated in a number of locally printed Visitor Guide books.

On the positive, it is in a lovely secluded location - right across from the beach and the rooms were impeccably clean with comfortable, firm beds. If you can sleep without air conditioning, go for it but I still believe it is extremely poor value for $35 a night.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Shah Alam, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights.
On the morning of the third day, my friend woke me up and said "We got robbed". I look at the side table and the floor, i realised nothing is there. It took me awhile to process that in my head. I can't believe that all my valuables are in the bag and the bag is gone. We woke up the person in charged and caused a scene. Luckily, we found our passports and some ID cards in the bag that was left at some dirt behind the place. After some hassle dealing with the police officer which is pretty much pathetic and useless, we decided to leave that place as soon as possible. We were advised by the police officers to stay a few days more to "process" the police report and we couldn't wait that long because we have a flight to catch the next day. So, we requested the person in charged to make a police report in our behalf and email to us but we never received that email.

Room Tip: Avoid the sea view room if you're planning to not get robbed.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Kong C, Manager at White Beach Bungalows, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
I was very happy that you come to stayed in my place, also feel sorry about bad thing that happen during your last day.

To be honest ,I try to contact the police in order to make a report . I called them many time a day,but they just told me to wait .beacause it may take long time to do this work. Anyway I can not do anything beside waiting. Until now cambodia have a national election , also it still not steady in political side. And I still not receive their respond yet!.

Sorry about that problem ,I also try to guard and protect my customer veluable thing ,same as to my place also ,but mistake still happen during the rain was serously fall down and the short time of my security carelessness. In the end I have no other word ,I just want to tell that I will try all my best To avoid the problem and we are sure that there no problem like this anymore .

Thank you for you come to stay here!
Sihanoukville, Cambodia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Ater a long search on Otres beach we discovered White Beach Bungalows, here we found our room with a view, the view of the nearby islands and tropical storms so typical at this time of the year. The sea was a short walk from our balcony and we spent many hours swimming and walking on the near deserted beach. The staff helped us in every way possible, Ratha and her brother were so friendly and helped with travel arrangements, understanding the culture and what to see and do in Sihanoukville. The bungalows are secure, spotlessly clean, well kept and staff on hand 24 hours. They really can't do enough for you. The restaurant catered to our every need and ensured we had a wonderful 8 days at this Cambodian seaside resort.
So glad we found it, sorry to leave it.

Room Tip: The 2 bungalows facing the sea display a wonderful view of the beach and nearby islands
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Kong C, Manager at White Beach Bungalows, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
I am very happy and grateful to you. You know I was very pleasant during the time you were here I fell warm fell like you are my warmest relative, you were very kind and always opened mind to us, however my staff or other customer making sound or noisy disturb your relaxing or sleeping, but you were never ever complaining to our mistaken.

I don't want you to leave from here. And hope you will come again on your next vocation , come to stay here again and again, come to make us fell warm and hopefully.

So, on the day you see this message maybe you will already arrive home , just the wish for you , I wish you good luck , safety and healthy.dont be sick as the time being ,please!. Especially go far a way from the dog , too.

Nice time was while you were here,
Ratha
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stayed here in April 2013. The accommodation was lovely for the price. Stayed in the upstairs wooden rooms rather than the concrete bungalows. The facilities were great. Lovely cold beer and very friendly staff. The beach is accross the road and the staff put some loungers on the shore for guests to use.

When we stayed there the beach was incredibly dirty. I've read that this is because of the seasonal currents but where is all the rubbish coming from? Old sandals, instant noodle packets, toothbrushes, cement mix bags and even a baby porpoise/dolphin and dead sea bird!!! It was pretty rotten. Up on Otres 1 just outside a beachfront bungalow there was even a dead rat lolling around in the surf. People were swimming nearby. It made the whole place unappealing to me. I asked the staff at White Beach if I could have a rake to clean their beachfront but they sent their staff out to clean it up which was really sweet of them. However I think it would have taken hours if not days to clean the beach up so maybe choose a different time of year to visit as I think Otres would be wonderful and White Beach bungalows were terrific for the price.

Room Tip: The concrete bungalows face the restaurant so don't really have a sea view except for the 2 VIP...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello , how are you? Were you arriving to your country .were you safety with your travel or not?
Thank you for everything , for staying here and Riviewing my place here.
Please come to stay here again or come to visit me at anytime you are in Cambodia .

Hope you are fine and will be fine as the time forever .
Wish you good luck , good health and safer for your all traveling in Asia .

See you next time ,

Ratha.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

I found this newly built set of bungalows on Otres 2 beach (south of Otres 1 and quieter) after looking at The Secret Garden bungalows which were nice but more expensive. I walked 3 minutes and found White Beach Bungalows. The owner, Tay (pronounced "T"), is smiley and nice and easy to chat with. His rooms are all $15. There are two rooms at front that face the ocean with concrete walls and tiles, thatch roof and sliding glass front doors. There are about six others in the same style. Upstairs is more rustic style made of all wood with front balconies where you can sit and look at the sea. Depending on if you like rustic or modern, you choose. However, all are newly constructed and the place is very clean!! Either choice is good. All have fans which is all you need and good bathrooms. The owner is funny and fun to talk to and very helpful. The food is great and a nice ocean breeze as you sit on your comfy chair. For now, there is no development on the beach side so it has an open, straight view of the water from White Beach. Hopefully it stays this way! He has beach lounge chairs on the sand. I stayed in Otres 1 beach as well in a different bungalow but White Beach in Otres 2 is so much nicer for the same price. Cost $6 tuk tuk from center of town Sihanoukville. Laid back, very chill here. I'm reviewing it because the owner is so great and I've been traveling for a month in Cambodia and this is a good deal and relaxing vibe.

• Stayed May 2013
Kong C, Owner at White Beach Bungalows, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
I am very gratefully for your coming to stay here.
Also very thankful that you like my place . However my place is still new and I think sometime maybe many mistake or coincidence occurred , but you understand and always forgive us .
And I hope you will come to stay in my Bungallows again sometime or your next vocation .
I am sure to develop my place getting better soon as possible .
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

These bungalows have recently opened, around a month ago (March 2013). Overall I would stay here again but if you are looking to come stay at Otres Beach you have to realise most (not all) of the accomodations are fairly simple and suffer from the same issues such as power outages and using water from a pit dug down in the sand (so water has brown hint of colour and and a little smell, but like i say all the hotels in this area are like this from what people have told me from other accomodations, its all they have available to them. The water is fine for showering and washing hands etc, but for all else use bottled water. There were a few ants and some small flies etc in the room we stayed in due to the facet not being secured properly to the wall but the staff moved us to a new room no problem. The bed is adequate and rooms are clean enough. The bathroom is a simple wetroom, floor stays wet a little while so best to shower after you are done with brushing teeth etc to avoid wet feet constantly. The fans in the room are alright, wall mounted so blow onto you and there quite strong and not too noisy. No air con. Rooms are not overly hot, as there is a breeze from the water but they are on the warm side for sure. If the power cuts during the night as it did for us it can get very hot in the rooms, they do have a generator but it can be a little noisy so they try not to use it too much too late.
The bungalow look very nice from outside and the whole accomodation grounds and bar area is nice too and they play relaxing music in the evenings. The food is ok, not great, not bad. Cheap dishes around 2.5 dollars and go up to about 6, beer is around 65c to 1.50.
The staff help you book trips and travel arrangements etc and there english is quite good, especially one girl who is very good, she takes care of most of the issues.
WI FI is good and works great in the rooms.
Overall I would stay here again, I would say the King VIP rooms are the best as they face the ocean and get more breeze, all rooms have a small area for sitting outside.
The accomodation is right on the beach literally, you just walk 20metres. Its on Otres II Beach which is the best you will find around Sihanoukville unless you go to the islands, nice whiteish sand, pretty clean beaches (all beaches have things wash up onto them) and I saw local people trying to collect any rubbish items from the beach and get rid of them but there isnt too much anyway. Water is clean and a lovely temperature and it faces the sunset and they have put lounge chairs there for you to watch it , its a great way to end the day. There are some other accomodations nearby and some places to drink, its all quite low key and relaxing so its good. There is Elephant Bungalows with really great unique food and pretty good cocktails and Tamu is excellent for watching sunset and for food, club sandwhich was pretty good and very big too.
To get to White Beach Bungalows here from say sihanoukville bus station by tuk tuk cost us 13 dollars and takes around 20 minutes but it cost us just 6 to go back so maybe we got done although it was lateih at night (9pm) but i dont think thats too late to affect price?
You can do a boat trip which goes to 3 of the island for $15 and included breakfast and lunch and some snorkelling and chilling on the beach, was pretty good fun.
. To walk down the beach to sihanoukville from white beach bungalows is around 1hr -1.30 mins. So finnally White Beach Bungalows is new and at the moment its fine and can hopefully only get better . Keep up the good work :)

Room Tip: The King VIP are really good and have awesome view !
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to White Beach Bungalows? Share your experiences!