“Beware & Avoid!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 54 Hotels in Sihanoukville
Melbourne, Australia
“Beware & Avoid!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

This was the worst place I stayed on my trip of Cambodia. And the most expense! This place is a sham!

I arrived and discovered that there is construction going on next door. The noise then continues on during the night with people living there at night.

I was allocated a bungalow that was in front of the staff area and interconnecting, that has no soundproofing!

I could hear everything next door including them sitting on the toilet farting!

When I arrived sheets where dirty, bathroom was dirty and air con didn't work. Room was dusty. Water coming out of the tap brown.

After getting no sleep I decided to leave the next morning. I was told no problem and was asked if I was leaving because of the construction noise.

At the time of check out I was told I would be charged a cancellation fee which had never been mentioned. When I explained the reasons for leaving I was told bad luck. To contact booking.com

Management are rude and just out to make a buck. AVOID this hotel, you can do much better and avoid the stress.

I changed hotels and found an amazing hotel at half the price!

So disappointing

• Stayed February 2014
dora m, Owner at The Secret Garden at Otres Beach, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
We are very sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us as much as our other guests do.

We always do our utmost to ensure our accommodation is of the highest possible standard, and I'm sorry that your room did not live up to your expectations on the particular day of your stay. Therefore, as soon as we received your complaint, sheets were changed, sink was cleaned and the A/C unit was serviced.

We do advertise clearly on-line that the room you stayed in is semi-detached, and our cancellation policy is stated on all of the booking sites we use.

Again, I'm sorry that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations, and I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your time in Cambodia.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Whitstable, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

We ate breakfast here and although the food was good, the service by the manager was poor. I ordered a toastie to which I then added the potato wedges for $1.25 as advertised in the menu. My toastie had tomato instead of onion- I didn't mention this as I wasn't too bothered. When the bill came, the manager snapped saying that he had given me a full portion of wedges and tried to charge me $3.75. I explained that he had got the order wrong but he was insistent that I would have to pay for his mistake as I ate the bowl of wedges. The rest of the staff were lovely, but he was just rude and needs to learn his menu!

• Stayed February 2014
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Went here for lunch. WOW. Great beach side setting. Attentive staff and a very warm welcome. Powder white sand laps up to the start of the restaurant. A mix of local and western food listed on a glass covered menu. I went for snapper with rice. (Pictures on the photo roll)
It was truly one of the best meals I've ever had. A whole fish totally bursting with flavour and taste. This could easily grace a five star place's menu without doubt ,probably even as a signature dish . My girlfriend had tomato soup with a toasted sandwich. As much care with preparation and presentation had gone into the dish. We would highly recommend this place for food. We also had a look at the accommodation which looks equally as good.

Highly recommended by us and we can't wait to return some day

• Stayed January 2014
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

One of the best beach frontages around with views of three little islands, torquoise waters and white sands. Sea is clean and warm, great for cooling off. Food is fresh, and reasonable quality. Drinks prices are ok $4 cocktails & $1 draught beers. Wifi was fast enought to stream NetFlix and it's available on everywhere including the rooms, bar and beach. Staff are fairly casual but attentive and keen to do a good job. Rooms are basic but are detached and have all the essentials. Quaint straw beach umbrellas with deck chairs you can reserve all day.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

First rate service by very friendly attentive staff.
Loved the beach bar and beach area. Food good although I agree with previous reviewer that it could have been a better breakfast choice considering the room cost.

The hotel is in Otres 2 rather than the main Otres (1) Beach. We considered this an advantage as it's even more chilled and undeveloped than Otres 1.
Otres 2 is a short strip (5 mins to walk the length) of bars, bungalows and restaurants. It's a nice 30 min walk from the main Otres Beach or a $2 tuk tuk fare at night. Secret Garden is probably the most hotel like of the whole if Otres 2.

The only downside is the price, $100 a night is a lot for this kind of place. There is a nice pool area but this was almost always deserted because the beach bar area was so inviting. Maybe you're paying for a pool you don't need.

Would totally recommend if you don't mind the cost!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

After the hustle and bustle of Saigon and Phnom Penh we were in need of some well earned relaxation. Otres 2 beach is the perfect place and The Secret Garden the perfect place to stay.
The rooms are well appointed and clean, ours had an al fresco shower which was a nice touch. We spent most of our time relaxing by the pool but the beach is idyllic with clear, luke warm seas and golden sand. The expert massage ladies help dispel any lingering signs of stress.
The owners and staff are super friendly and attentive and the food was excellent and very fresh (particularly the spring rolls).
The extended family of dogs and cats led by Monster, added to the charm of this wonderful hotel and any pet back home who thinks they lead the life of Riley, hasn't seen these guys!
There is absolutely nothing to do in Otres 2 other than relax, which is perfect during the day, but if you are looking for a bit of night life, Otres 1 is just a short Tuk Tuk ride away.
We would definitely come back and look forward to Ken opening his cricket bar!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

We did not stay at The Secret Garden for our one week stay in SihanoukVille but we sure hung out here a lot. We stayed a few properties down on Otres 2 but everyone at the Secret Garden was so friendly and welcoming. The food is wonderful, taken from their garden and cooked fresh. Hanging out in the bar is so relaxing, they play great music at a perfect level and the owners and staff are great to socialize with. We were greeted by name every time we visited and felt so at home. The beach is spotless, kept clean all day and the cushions for the lounge chairs are brought in when it rains so they are not soggy like other places in the area. They have great bathrooms right by the bar with a lovely sink and towel for easy access for guests on the beach and at the bar.

Mama Claire nursed my husband back to health (he got food poisoning before we stumbled across The Secret Garden) with fresh coconuts for breakfast daily. If we had our way we would have never left!

We will definitely be staying at The Secret Garden the next time we are in SihanoukVille.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Secret Garden at Otres Beach? Share your experiences!