“Perfect ! And best food in Sihanoukville!!” 4 of 5 stars

Makara Guesthouse
Ochheuteal Beach, Sihanoukville, Cambodia   |
Ranked #37 of 183 Sihanoukville B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“Perfect ! And best food in Sihanoukville!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Perfect for what we needed. Extremely affordable, partnered with a clean and friendly service. Location is great, with only 10 minute walk to main restaurant and pub street. Could hire bikes but as it was raining we just used our 2 nights to relax. Pool is great as well. The restaurant food was the best we had in Sihanoukville. Would definitely stay here again with absolutely no hesitation!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Bangalore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed here for 4 days.... Clean Rooms, Excellent Location, Courteous Staff and owner and extremely affordable.
Conveniently placed between Ochheuteal beach and Otres Beach, hire a bike, and every attraction is a 5 minute ride...
Restaurant serves excellent continental and Khmer Food...
free wifi, Hot water, Room service
I am definitely going back there again....

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights and were overall pleased. The bathroom was clean and functional but the shower water pressure was low and made showering a challenge. The location is at the beginning of the beach but we found this quieter and with the pool an added bonus for a guest house within this price range. The staff were welcoming and wanted to please, we would defiantly recommend for a short stay.

• Stayed June 2013
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

This guesthouse in located at the very end of Toal / Mithona St at Ocheurteal Beach, Sihanoukville. It is about a 15-20 min walk to the main backpacker area of Serendipity Beach and is close to Ocheurteal Beach. There are plenty of tuk tuks willing to take you into town or you can walk along the road or beach (beach is far nicer, but both are straight / flat walks). Don't recommend walking at night-time as it feels a bit dodgy walking along the road or beach, and neither are particularly well lit. Catch a tuk tuk - $2 well spent. I arrived with Mekong Express mini-bus and they dropped me off outside the guesthouse.

The welcome I received when I arrived was quite 'interesting'. There were a bunch of guys all standing behind reception chatting away and they pretty well ignored me (I was the only guest standing there) until I interrupted and asked if it would be OK to check in (I had a reservation). Even then there seemed to be confusion about what I was actually requesting and a lady who was sitting down finally intervened and helped me out.

The room itself was lovely. Two double beds in a large room which was modern, clean and very well appointed. Could not fault the room as it was very comfortable and well furnished. The bathroom was also well set up and great shower pressure.

The room overlooked a small swimming pool and had a little balcony area. The pool was clean and well maintained and great for sluicing off the litres of sweat I seemed to accumulate when walking around. They closed the pool at 8pm so it was quiet at night. There is free wifi and small restaurant which served reasonably priced, tasty meals. You could also hire bikes and I hired one to cycle to nearby Ortes beach. The bike was old but fine.

In fact the only thing that marred an otherwise stellar stay was the attitude of some of the staff. Most of the staff were very friendly but I found the reception and restaurant staff particularly to be apathetic at best and downright rude at worst. They sold drinks at reception and when I asked to buy a large bottle of water the guy behind reception couldn't be bothered serving me or filling out a room charge docket. So he tried to palm me off to the restaurant. In the end I paid cash for the water and he reluctantly served me, but I always felt I was interrupting or being an inconvenience every time I went to reception. The same guy even asked for a tip on check out - which was nothing short of amusing !

Some customer service issues in the restaurant also. When I arrived it was about 8pm so I decided to eat in their restaurant. I gave my room number and ordered a meal. The meal was fine and when I finished they took away the plates and I got up and left for a short walk. When I returned about 20 minutes later the restaurant guy was really angry with me because I hadn't signed the room charge docket. They already had my room number and knew which room I was in. Plus they never explained their room charging system during my meal so I didn't realise I had erred when I got up to go for a stroll. His reaction was out of proportion to the situation. The next morning I asked for a small quantity of milk on my muesli and this created a bit of a drama as well as it seemed an alien concept to the restaurant staff (who has muesli without milk ?) I received it in the end, but at an extra charge which seemed a bit petty for a little bit of milk.

However not all the staff encounters were negative ones and the porter who took my bag to the room, the security guards and the housekeeping ladies were particular welcoming and friendly. Just the reception and restaurant staff need to polish their customer services skills somewhat.

Overall this is a fantastically appointed guesthouse and has a lot of potential. Certainly worth the price. However I would suggest the owners invest in some basic customer service training for the staff as my experiences detracted from the enjoyment of the overall stay and left a bad taste in my mouth. It was the only time in my SE Asia travels that I encountered overtly rude staff in the places I stayed, so this was a bit disappointing. But it is easily fixable with proper training and supervision.

Overall value for money scores: Guesthouse, room and amenities 9/10, customer service 4/10

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
in your heart ;p
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

my friend and i didnt book accommodation in sihanoukville so we grab a tuk tuk and looked for several places to stay, and we ended up here at Makara Guesthouse, it wasnt that bad at all, just a walking distance to the beach, and the price is cheap, but u have all facilities that a budget hotel can provide. everything meets the standard. personally, im picky with accommodation but i had no problem with this hotel.

the pool access room looks much better than the room behind the building, by its view and more fresh air

wifi works well in room.

it's kinda far from the central area and beach bars on Serendipity beach, where people hang out, 5 mins from the hotel by tuk tuk.

this is one of good budget accommodations i've ever stayed.

Room Tip: try to get the room at the front of the swimming pool, fresher air, bigger room and bathroom. only t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Durban, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This was recommended by our tuk tuk driver on arrival so we were a little concerned. We had another place in mind but no booking. Rooms at Makara face onto a lovely pool - well used and welcome in the heat of the day. Popular with guests - some been there before and will return. The bathroom is an all in one with shower and loo together, no divider. Not a huge deal. Rooms clean. All in all it is VERY good value for money and when you look at what else is around / on offer with TV, Aircon, pool etc it is up there & is a great option. Beach not amazing here so rather take a tuk tuk or walk to Otres beach for the day. Accommodation however is not great at Otres so Makara is a good in between-er with good facilities for what you pay. Aircon is a must in March. Breakfast not included but available from the restaurant and reasonable. You can walk to the main area at Serindipity in about 10-15 mins. Wouldn't stay here as lots of construction and as it is the "main drag" it's very noisy and goes on until late. Tuk Tuks available everywhere if you are not up for walking. Can recommend Makara.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for afew nights & loved it! Pool is on the small side with only 2 loungers but its quaint & has plenty of room in the restaurant / dining area to relax.

Food was fantastic & slightly higher than other b&bs but definitely worth it! Everyone couldn't do enough for you & I'd recommend to anyone, great little hotel.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Makara Guesthouse? Share your experiences!