“Fairly average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #81 of 170 Sihanoukville B&B and Inns
Aarhus, Denmark
“Fairly average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The Golden Rooster Resort is run by the owner Keith and a manager. Both seemed quite friendly. I had the family suite, which was spacious, although a bit dark. The entrance to GRR resembles a bar, which it is, and you go round the back down some steep stairs and come to the pool area, where the family suites are. I never tried the pool, as I prefer the sea. The price for this was 65 $ a night, which is a bit pricey for Sihanoukville and this area, which is far from the town center. Tuk tuks are 5 $ to go to town, which is a lot more expensive than Phnom Penh. The beach is advertised as a short 2 min walk from the resort. Maybe it's the time difference and Khmer time, but even at a brisk walk it would take closer to 10 min. to walk to the closest beach, Victory beach, which is quite tiny and crowded with tourists, though not as much as the other beaches. In many ways I second Sally F's review, which pretty much says it all.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

By far the best place I have stayed since i have been travelling around SE Asia. The room are very spacious, clean, comfy with balcony seaview. What made the experience where the many nights i spend in the hotel bar with owner Keith and managers Shane & Alex. Straight away i was offered a free shot & then the stories & good times began. The owner Keith is a real character & has all the experience of the local area. In fact all the guys where happy to take me out & about at some stage. Not really recommend for families & if your a backpacker and want a step up for hanging with the tourists then this is the place for you. Anything goes! If older and travelling SE Asia again this place perfect. The area Victory Hill is alive & out there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Warrington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I normally base my review on everything including the surroundings in the area, however for once i will just concentrate on the hotel itself.... Or maybe not!

Firstly it is ran by 2 retired blokes, who to be fair are quite friendly, but the owner lacked knowledge of anything around us, upon arrival we were told 'visas, trips, anything you need just ask us' and we did and he had no idea what to do, however that being said they did recommend a few places to eat which were good.

It's advertised as a resort with room service, a tour desk with a guide, and a restaurant. This is NOT the case. They do have a bar which is where the owners practically lived, which has a pool table and they have a tiny cooking area which was never used, I'm not saying these things made it bad, but if your expecting what has been advertised then its a little bit of a let down.

Now the rooms... Huge plumbing problem ( however I think this is the case across Cambodia ) our bathroom ended up like a swimming pool after 2 showers. Stains on the bed sheets, although the bed itself was very comfortable. Our towels had crusty stains on them so we used them to wipe our feet. Very spacious rooms, bit of a balcony, good air conditioning and a fridge/freezer. Complimentary water and coffee - no tea, or teaspoons for that matter. Cobwebs in all the corners and behind the bathroom door, you could tell it had been surface cleaned to appear nice, but if your quite picky about cleanliness like myself you will notice these things.

Very nice swimming pool area, again a little let down by no sun loungers or chairs, they do have a bar down there which was never open, but still it's clean. Good speedy wifi.

Victory Beach itself is beautiful, it's a 10 - 15 minute walk down there and it's stunning, but be prepared for the walk up the hill on the way back, surrounding the hotel is a few restaurants and bars, a mini mart, travel desks etc - the usual.

Overall it wasn't a bad place to stay, I just think its important to be brutally honest on reviews because that's what's I look for myself, a young couple would be fine here, wouldn't recommend it for a family, or the older generation. It's a perfect paradise for a retired elderly man who is after a bit of 'something something' with the ladies.

You might wonder why my review is quite miserable in comparison to some - this is because there is a sign in the room that states if you give a good review on the web you get a free drink, but for the sake of saving $2 I'd rather be honest so you don't get mislead here like we did. There are nicer for cheaper but as always the choice is yours.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Warrington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Just for starters, a shoutout to Shane and Keith! Sorry fellas that my review took so long, I just haven't gotten around to writing this. And also, the 5-star rating is the overall rating for the whole experience, not just the property or the service etc. It just means that I had an awesome time there!

I guess it easier to first tell about the negatives. There's really not much bad to say about this hotel, at least I don't have anything bad to say! I'm the kindof guy that's happy, when you have a cleaning lady daily at your room, when the employees are kind and friendly to you and if you need help with anything, you will get it. That being said, I had ZERO complaints when I was staying at Golden Rooster! there was a few blackouts, but what can you do? That's in no way the hotels fault, it happened all over Sihanoukville.

People here complain about poor service, dirty bar, poor wifi and the closed gates at night. People, seriously? The service one of the best, if not THE best that I've got anywhere in my travels! OK I understand that some people like the employees to be brown noses, so in that case Golden Rooster isn't the place for you. They never felt like the kind of people that would pretend to like you or anything like that. At the end of our 10 night stay, they felt more like new friends to me! Friends, who can talk bollocks and party with you till the wee hours of the morning, who will help you if you need some help. Now that's a 5-star service in my opinion.

Well, what else... Oh yea, the closed gates. People should understand the reason to this before they start complaining about it. If you're that dumb that you don't understand the reasons, then ask and you shall recieve! In my opinion it was completely ok that they closed the gates sometime after midnight. There always was a night guard, who knew that we were out, so he was expecting us. No problems there.

Also, the dirty bar and poor wifi comments... Well, that's just [--], no complaints in my opinion.

Location was also good. Basically, in Sihanoukville, there was two places that I liked personally. Serendipity Beach and Victory Hill. Well this hotel is in the middle of Victory Hill, so that's pretty good location in my opinion! Yea it's not near the beach, but hey, 5min walk doesn't kill you and a 4 dollar tuktuk ride to serendipity beach is OK too.

Ah well, I really don't know what else to say. Not a place for little kids in my opinion, but for anyone else its great. Especially if you like to hang out with a couple of great guys, drink beer, play pool and have a good time!

Cheers to you Shane and Keith for your exellent hospitality and you can be expecting a few of my friends there in august, I recommended your place to them! And maybe next summer I'll come visit you again myself! Take care guys and say hello to Lin :)

- Joonas

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

It has been a great stay in 'The Rooster' and am sad to leave, The room was spacious and had everything you need. The bar area is massive and it was hard to get away as was such good company and an excellent pool table and music. Shane and Keith are great down to earth guys and always available if anything needs doing, and they pointed me in the right direction more than once if a bit naive to the area. So if you want a place out of the way but doesn't compromise on quality this is your place. It's also worth saying that the restaurant 10 yards across is delicious and they will deliver to you and is so cheap for the quality. Excellent facilities and very safe as well. Great stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Stockholm
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

Back on "the Rooster" in Sihanoukville after 4 years was a pleasant surprise.
Now it's more of an upscaled guesthouse with a sportsbar in front where you get and leave your roomkey. Though there is no restaurant on the premises the closest one is only 10 yards away cross the street. Based upon Victory Hill a bit away from the beaches with a beatiful view it's more the place for peace and tranquility by the poolside (a smaller but, deep pool).
It will only take you some day to get part of the family on the badly paved street outside with staff & guests at the restaurants, laundry services, mini-mart and the tuk-tuk drivers.
The Sportsbar is also the perfect place to either start or end the evening - or both :-)
We found the room large, clean with a big refrigerator and good air conditioned. DVD-player (movies for loan in the bar) and free wi-fi if it's rainy day helps to spend time. We'll be back!!!

Room Tip: Try to get room number 3 or 4 sharing a really hugh patio with a stunning view. Perfect for a suns...