“Worst experience ever” 1 of 5 stars
Review of GBT Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sihanoukville
GBT Guesthouse
You added GBT Guesthouse to your Saves list
Mithona Street | Ochheuteal Beach, Sihanoukville, Cambodia   |
Ranked #92 of 168 Sihanoukville B&B and Inns
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Worst experience ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

we arrived at the hotel early in the morning after long journey from Siem Reap. Just pass by the hotel & decided to give it a try. They show us a room in a dark, narrow alley while the cleaning lady cleaned up the room.

The condition was pretty bad, u can see the bed sink in. But we were too tired to look around & decided to give it a try. The worker seems a bit stunned when we say yes to the room.

The rest of the day seems pretty fine since we decided to stay outside & walk arnd. There's no wifi inside the room so you have to sit at the restaurant to get one. It kept logged out after some time so its quite annoying. And be ready for some mosquito bites.

The nightmare comes out at night when all sorts of bug started coming out from their hiding. My friend jump out of the bathroom when she saw a big fat cockroach crawling on the floor heading fast towards our bedroom. We quickly ask for the staff to help get rid of it and they come later with broom & repellent. They spray the whole room & managed to kill it.

We settled down after 20 minutes and checked out every possible hole (they cover the ventilation hole with net). Yet another cockroach crawling in from the wooden ceiling of the next room and fly into ours. The supervisor seems annoyed when I reported this & brushed me off saying that he's busy. After we complaint for refund, he show us a better room (also dont seems promising) & says that we have to pay extra for upgrade. We decided to check out the same night hoping to get a peaceful sleep elsewhere. They dont even apologize or help us out. And we didnt get the refund anyway.

• Stayed November 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
St. Petersburg, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Arrived into sihanoukville by bus and asked a motorbike driver to take me somewhere near the beach for about 10-15$ a night and he showed me some places. Took me to GBT4 and room was huge, clean and staff friendly. Restaurant looked super clean and food was nice there. Only a 5 min walk to main part of town and right opposite the Beach. Rented a motorbike from hotel to explore. Really enjoyed my stay there

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We got into sihanoukville without a hotel reservation. Our tuk tuk driver dropped us off at GBT guesthouse and it ended up being a perfect spot. For $5 we got a great room with a fan and a private bathroom (tho no hot water). The room was very clean and big. There wasn't wifi in the rooms, but they had it in the restaurant which also had great food. And, most importantly, the guesthouse was in a great location around 2 blocks from serendipity beach. So, we got a quiet night's sleep but were right near all the action.

• Stayed September 2013
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This review is about GBT4 which is down the beach road away from the cluster of bars, restaurants and lodges but an easy walk.

GBT4 has some very old, dark and smelly rooms as reported in other reviews however, they do have a relatively new building where the 2nd floor rooms are all clean and bright. These are the only rooms to go for.
They have a big restaurant which was convenient for breakfast but our evening meals we took outside at one of the many beach eateries (which had enthusiastic and fun staff).

Despite the downsides we stayed for 6 days for $13 per night in a room good for 4 (2 x double beds) with AC, TV, fridge and hot water. Clean and comfortable.

Now, the downsides.
1) The WiFi is only good for 20 minutes, after which you have to re-login. Totally disastrous if you are trying to get any work done or banking or make onward bookings, whatever. It was a constant source of frustration to us and pushed me to breaking point many times.
2) I am sure that the young general staff are lovely people outside of their work environment but I suspect that there is something rotten about their work conditions which makes them sad and wooden. We did manage to force a smile out of some them from time to time but it was an exception.
3) The manager, in my opinion there is something sly and untrustworthy about him . . . I don't know, it is just the way he made me feel.
I rented a motorbike from him which was a piece of crap. When I went to review the bike with him before riding off; he just turned his back and walked away, naturally that left me wondering about his motives, as I say, I thought he was untrustworthy. Anyway, it all ended okay.
But I did not give him any more business than I needed too.
Which is why I booked our bus tickets to the border at another agency.
And I guess that is why he was totally uninterested when our pick up was late and I asked him to contact the bus company.

GBT4 offers a good nights sleep but do not expect anything more.
You will experience so much better as I have during my travels in Cambodia.

Room Tip: Only book if you can be guaranteed of a new 2nd floor room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Barcelona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

In low season we paid 5$ for a double room. The place is not extremely dirty but it's not clean, and the mattress was old and stinky. They have rooms around a small garden, where we were, and another rooms, same price, in some kind of dark narrow alley. Of course at first they offer you the creepy rooms in this alley. If you complain, they finally show you the ones in the garden. It's not an amazing place, but just a few steps away from the beach. I guess for 5$ you can not expect a better deal in that touristic area.

The worst for us was the attitude of the staff. In general they don't even look at you when you arrive to the reception and try to ask them something. But today we had a problem with the bus we booked to Koh Kong, but as we didn't booked it in their guesthouse they just laughed when we asked for help, and ignored us. Twice. And we where just asking them to do a phone call...

The restaurant they have is pretty expensive considering what you get for your money, the coffee is one of the worst on earth, (cheese sandwich is probably the best thing they have though) and while you are eating you have less than two meters away from you one or two of the waiters staring at you, completely immobile. So if you like to be observed while you chew expensive-cheap stuff and then have a receptionist that doesn't look at your face while you ask him anything, under any circumstance, then this is your place.

Oh, by the way: if you try to pay your room on a regular moment of the day and he doesn't look at your face 'cause he's mucking around with other staff, don't worry: he will come to ask you for the money the first second you sit to eat your breakfast the next morning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Budget hotel for the average backpacker. So don't expect much. USD15 for an air-con room.
Good location, just so close to Serendipity beach & the beach night life.

Yes, sometimes staff's service not so good.

But so far they treat me ok, as I go there quite often.

Room Tip: No Fitness Center & Room service.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Cambodia on a whole is a very cheep place to stay but I found GBT have very good rooms for the price and the beds were more than big enough, couldn't be much closer to the beach and the night life, only downside is the staff. They tried to be a 5 star hotel which it clearly wasn't, I was a budget traveller and it was perfect for just that. I would go back but not for the flashy over dressed miserable staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to GBT Guesthouse? Share your experiences!