“Amazing Song Saa” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in Sihanoukville
London
“Amazing Song Saa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

My wife and I visisted Song Saa at the end of February and stayed 4 days and nights. We travelled down from Siem Reap to Sihanoukville where we had been visiting the ruins at Angkor Wat. That was a short 1 hour flight and then a 45 minute journey by speed boat to the Island. We stayed in an over water villa (I think it was #18) and as soon as we stepped though the door we knew we were going to enjoy our stay. It was spacious, glorious views, and very tastefully decorated and the most amazingly comfortable bed and soft linen. Outside the room there is a decked verandha with the pool overlooking the sea and a really enormous outside day bed. Truly magical and very peaceful. I would dispute the review that says the villas or island lack privacy. The villas are completely private and certainly far enough apart. In fact, our only disappointment was that we did not get to mingle with the other guests as much as we would have liked as the Island has so many different locations to eat, drink and swim that guests can remain completely private if they choose, and many of the honeymoon type couples naturally did choose to remain secluded. Whilst the resort was not yet quite finished (they were just putting the finishing touches to the 2nd bar - there is already one in the restaurant) we were not at all disturbed by the little work that was being done. I think the reviews here speak for themselves and it seems a shame reading the poor review LavendarLondon left that they did not even stay more than a few hours - I am sure that had they done so the Island and its staff would have won them over.

My wife enjoyed yoga and the spa treatments and we went kayaking in the mangroves with the Island's resident Conservationist which was very interesting. So much thought has gone into making sure this resort not only provides a wonderful experience for it's guests but benefits the local community. I would have gone on a dive trip, but my wife is pregnant and I did not want to leave her on her own for the day. It was very reassuring to know that the resort also has it's own resident Doctor. Mostly though we simply wanted to lie by our pool, or the main pool, or swim in the bath temperature sea and EAT.

No review of this place would be complete without mentioning the food. It really is 5*. I believe that the Chef came from North Island Seychelles. The plates are delivered with real style and originality and the in villa dining menu was amazingly extensive. Nothing was too much trouble for the charming staff and you really could eat to your hearts content at any time and pretty much anywhere. We spent our last night having a candlelit meal under the stars (which are staggering due to the lack of any light pollution) on the beach and the courses just kept coming. How they achieve all of this on an Island in the middle of nowhere is very impressive.

We will definitely be returning to this truly magical place and to the person enquiring if it would make a good honeymoon location I would answer with an emphatic yes!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Sentosa Island, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

We had a 2 bedroom over water villa, which was a jewel itself! We just wanted a place to relax after our meetings in Siem Reap and PP. And could not imagine a better place to do so... Not too far from PP. The place was so peaceful. We enjoyed every single minute of our stay! Staff very friendly and service minded. Very luxury.. Food excellent! Accommodation, very tasteful decorated. We just loved everything...

Room Tip: Over water villa's highly recommended!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

I will be a little lazy and cut and paste what I wrote to the owners after my short stay in Feb 2012 :

"Well - what do I say. You have created something very special. A really peaceful place. Your staff have a genuine affection for the island and their work (they are great at the names ! this makes a big difference and makes it all seem like one big family ). The food last night was right up there - to produce that standard in the middle of nowhere is amazing.

I am not really a breakfast person but the special this morning of "egg and chips" was masterful - I didn't need to have it to enjoy it ..
The room - well the room is superb. I had the "radio" going on wifi as I enjoyed my homemade hand cut chips and diet coke yesterday at sunset. Clearly that room is made to be shared. Next time ! Great views. A really pleasant active view - with the boats and the island.

I could go on but I will aim to come back as a longer staying next season - perhaps even later this year"

I would give 5 stars - but being reasonable - the resort wasn't 100% finished in Feb so I have to give 4 !

Room Tip: overwater was great.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

Having traveled the world for pleasure and work I am always very excited to go somewhere that I have never been before...having a stressful career, finding a relaxing destination is always a very key component to figuring out the next vacation spot! I have always been of the opinion that it takes about a week to really wind down and relax...This is not the case when you arrive at Song Saa! Honestly, after 1-2 days at Song Saa I felt more relaxed than I had been in years!! I was completely at peace. Now granted it was a bit of a trek to get there and part of the island was still under a little construction, but the vision and level of quality of all amenities and the staff were of the highest level. I love the mix of adventure, authentic Cambodian surroundings...in fact even though the trip from Phnom Pehn was a little long, it allowed me to take in the "real" Cambodia...even if just a small part of it...I like to remind myself that it's not just the destination, but the journey, that is part of the adventure...and in this case they were all part of getting to Zen!;) The cabins, the food, the surroundings, the weather and the location are one of a kind. I have to make special mention of the food as it was amazingly beautiful both in presentation and in taste...I am a health fanatic and all the food was high quality and very healthy! Overall I cannot recommend Song Saa enough. If you do not feel completely relaxed after your trip there, I am not sure you would be relaxed anywhere. Great work to the owners/developers. I will be back....hopefully in the not-too-distant future!

Room Tip: All rooms are great...but the ocean front rooms are my pic of the bunch, because you can swim out in...
Zurich, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

We were due to spend 2 weeks at Song Saa just before the resort opened in February. We were very disappointed with the state of Song Saa at the time of our visit.

Firstly, the resort is really very difficult to get to at the moment – 3 hours drive from Phnom Penn on a rather dangerous road, followed by 30 – 45 mins by speedboat, although arguably this will improve once the resort’s private plane to Sihanoukville become available.

Although we had checked several times and had been assured by the sales staff that all construction would be complete before our arrival, we found the resort very much under construction. We were met by heavy machinery working away on the beach, loud hammering and drilling, as well as probably around 50 workers on the (really) small island. Although the resort website boasts ypga pavilions and other recreation on the big island, construction on the big island had not even begun at the time of our visit, the gym had not yet been built and not sure that the spa was ready either, since at the time they were using a small bungalow for treatments (since this was under 2 weeks before the official opening, it is very doubtful that these would be completed for the official launch).

The villas themselves are very nicely decorated, however finishing touches are lacking – the water in toilet and sinks was brown, we had a little lilly pond in our room, which was full of dead water plants and murky water. Prior to arrival we had also been asked to fill out a questionnaire with (amongst other things) our favourite champagne, robe and slipper sizes, however upon arrival these were both XL, and the bottle in the minibar was an Australian white wine. If the devil is in the detail, then Song Saa is not quite there yet.

Another minus is that although there is only 27 villas, they are all very close together, which limits privacy.

Because of the raw state of the resort, we decided to leave almost immediately. To their credit, management offered us a full refund for our stay.

Overall, Song Saa will probably be a nice enough resort once it is up and running, however the prices really are quite steep, even with food and drinks included. Pricewise this Resort is well above any of the Amans, and most of the top Islands in the Maldives and we left certain this was hardly justified. And again as one of the previous review mentions, it is not really clear what is included in the food and drinks price and what isn’t.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Rory H, Owner at Song Saa Private Island, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave such detailed comments. We are obviously very disappointed that Song Saa did not meet your expectations, although we do believe that if you had stayed more than a few hours with us, Song Saa's charm would have won you over.

We acknowledge that there were still some finishing touches taking place when you arrived and this was the reason we were happy to offer the substantial Soft Opening discount. We would also like to assure you, and other visitors, that this work is now nearing completion and that resort is rapidly taking shape and that we couldn't be more proud of what we've created.

Many guests have commented that the car ride to Sihanoukville is a good opportunity to see the Cambodian country side and what the area is like but we understand that the time it took was a concern for you, which is a shame as Song Saa's remoteness is part of what makes it so special.

We pay particular attention to our guests' privacy though, and we are quite surprised that you believe privacy might be an issue at Song Saa. Every one of our villas is extremely private, and we have gone to considerable lengths to ensure that guests feel this so they and can enjoy their stay in a peaceful setting.

We take a huge amount of pride in our resort and the experience we provide our guests, which is why we provided you with the full refund and additional assistance for your onward journey. We sincerely hope that you will give Song Saa another chance.

Sincerely yours,

The Team at Song Saa
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

What a fantastic place Song Saa is. It's an island with an amazing peaceful nature and feel of isolation.It's definitely the place to revell in your tropical island fantasy, with the beautiful colours of the water and white sand.

The fantastic villas have a unique view of the ocean, the best matrasses ever, black out curtains, reclining matrasses on the balcony with your own 'infinity pool'. And features that continue to amaze like a log shower, stunning (interior) design and wood carvings. And that is without even mentioning food and the staff who are wonderful, there's truly no superlative to describe the atmosphere that all of this creates. The only thing missing is a hammock :)

Song Saa truly is the ideal place for a honeymoon. One day over there feels like ten in real life. This place could be the primary reason for a couple to go visit Cambodia. The place rocks!

Athens
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

We stayed on Song Saa for 5 nights with my husband in late January for our honeymoon.
The place is amazing. Rory and Melita (the owners) have done an amazing job, all the villas are fabulous, the restaurant-bar area is surrounded by the sea, overall this is an amazing place as it concerns the infrastructure. Most importantly, what you see in the pictures of the villas is what you get: no photoshopping here. The staff is very friendly and attentive and the food is excellent. The chef has interesting ideas and the food is top quality.

Before arriving on the island, we made it clear that we wanted peace and quiet and privacy. The villa we first stayed in was overwater villa 15 (currently next to the port) with very limited privacy since all the workers were coming and going from that port. At first we were very disappointed as this was not what we had asked for nor was it what we expected. We had a chat with Rory and he immediately settled the situation including a move to a jungle villa and a refund of the difference in cost. We were satisfied with the solution. It would have been better if the extent of the works going on had been communicated to us correctly beforehand. After the "fresh start" that Rory offered us, we put it all behind us and had an amazing time.

Overall, the infrastructure and villas are of top quality.
The food is amazing with an inspiring chef.
Works are still going on on the island and not all of the facilities are ready. Also, make sure you make clear what is included in the price and what isn't, as we didn't feel it was very clear from the description in the brochures.

In conclusion, once everything is ready on the island, it will be a fabulous place, although maybe it's overpriced for Cambodia.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Song Saa Private Island? Share your experiences!