“Very unique - loved it!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Mushroom Point to your Saves list
Mushroom Point
Otres Beach | Port de Sihanoukville, Sihanoukville 3000, Cambodia   |
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very unique - loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We loved this little place on Otres Beach, which is, in my opinion, the best beach in Sihanoukville. Mushroom Point is very unique and quirky - single and twin rooms are little mushrooms! We stayed in a mixed dorm, which was clean and spacious, and we loved the round beds. The showers were also clean and hot, and the bar/restaurant area was great - an excellent place to relax in and meet other people, with cushions, hammocks, books etc. The food here, although not that cheap, is very good indeed, and overall we thought that Mushroom Point was excellent value for money.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

Folks - you'll never find a 3 stars spot on Otres Beach. It's a low-key, mini-paradise, off-the-beaten-path location where you'll savor the remoteness, quietness and raw. I'll tell you that Mushroom Point's the best to offer than any spots on Otres Beach - clean 'rondavell-shaped' bungalow with towels, best and price for price kitchen and smooth service. In fact, it won awards such as best accommodation voted by 1000000 hostelworld.com customers. I'm gonna shut up 'cuz I've said enough. :-)

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We arrived there for a couple of nights. Nice room, clean and good facilities in the room. The environment was great with the mushroom-like bungalows.
Maybe a bit pricey for what you get, but its a nice place to stay. More quite than other places around Sihanoukville.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bromma, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

My initial plan was just to stay here for 3 nights but now it has been more than a week and I am still here - doing work-exchange just because I am oh-so in love with this place!!!

It is just few steps away from the beach. One of the reason I chose Mushroom Points obviously because of its mushroom-ish design and the round bed. Sexy. Might be pretty pricey for a budget traveler like me but once in a while or if you like it very much, why not eh?!

Basically at first, I think I made a wrong choice to stay here because Otres Beach is none like Serendipity Beach. It is relatively quite, chill and too relax for party people like me but after spent 3 days here, especially on this awesome Mushroom Point whereby the owners and the staffs treated you like a family, I got the calmness vibes and I like it!

Well, going to town/Serendipity area is not a problem as lots of TukTuks and MotoTaxis around. The f&b provided might be a little bit pricey but actually it is just the same like any other restaurant or guesthouse everywhere around Sihanoukville. That's not the question. Is the price worth the taste and the portion? YES is the answer. They might serve you your food kindda slow but they were slow because they prepared everything fresh from scratch. Nothing ready-made. Even the French fries.

While no guesthouses or hostels clean up your space and made your bed every day, Mushroom Point does. They even provide (change) the towel everyday. This is the extra point of Mushroom Point.

The Chill-Out point where the guests hang out together pretty much a cool place to lazy-ing around. Lots of cushions, bolsters, hammocks, magazines, books for your comfy. Big LCD TV for you to watch movie of your choice, too! This area will be really busy at night although at low season.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Mushroom Point is an amazing oasis within an oasis. Great fresh food, wi-fi, music, movies, books, and friendly staff who clearly have a family closeness. Wandering across to Mushroom Point Beach makes it all the more enjoyable. The architect and interior designer of the buildings is a genius.

The only thing that marred my stay was that the grievances of the staff were aired in a very public manner. More than once I witnessed a staff member yelling at local (Cambodian) staff. Aside from this being unpleasant, it is also not in keeping with Cambodian culture and I would imagine the staff felt they lost face, as well as feeling bad that the yelling staff member also lost face. Arguments between the foreign staff were also aired publicly with seemingly little regard for the customers sitting just a few feet away.

At other times we were made to feel uncomfortable by being the cause of someone else getting in trouble - instead of discussing the matter in private, staff and management at times reprimanded others right in front of us. For some, the rules seemed unclear and, in my mind, the rules of the guesthouse seemed to change based on who was in charge that day. It led to a couple of awkward moments between me, my friends, and the staff.

Also, it was raining a lot when I was there and no blankets were offered for the beds to supplement the single sheet. True, I didn't ask for one either! But perhaps this is a tip for MP to keep in mind in the future.

All in all I would stay at Mushroom Point again...if they'd have me after this review!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Sihanoukville, Cambodia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I spent some time hanging out at both Mushroom Points the other day. Both of them are at Otres Beach. One's on the beach and the other is just across the road. My personal preference is for the one that's not on the beach because I love its garden setting. You can always wander across the road and hang out at the beach when you feel like it, but since I can do that any time, it's no novelty to me. Since you can have the best of both worlds in a unique setting at Mushroom Point, I give it 4 stars.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Utrecht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012 via mobile

What a little gem! Huts shaped like mushrooms! Not only is this place quirky but also fantastic too! There are two locations - one next to the beach, the other nottoo far away. The food is great here and value for money. Location wise is a matter of preference. We were looking for a place secluded and got it. Its just a grand place to chill out after the city life. Highly recommended especially for large groups. Chill out lounge is ace. Love this place!!!

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Mushroom Point? Share your experiences!