“Could of been so much better” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Traditional Khmer Cooking Classes

Traditional Khmer Cooking Classes
335 Ekareach street | Near the Vietnam Consulate on the Opposite Side, Sihanoukville, Cambodia
+855 92 738 615
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: The Cooking school was opened 8 years ago. The Teacher is a very experience Cook/Teacher who loves to teach Cambodian food to others so they can learn to cook great Cambodian food and take their experience away with them. Its the day the weather cannot spoil.
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Could of been so much better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

We took the cooking course in January 2014

We wanted to do the half day course at $15 but were told this wasn't available and they were only doing a 10:30 till 1pm course for $24? so fair enough still keen to give it a go.

We arrived at 10:30 and were joined by another pair and one other person so nice small group, we were left to ourselves to chat until 11 then the course started, the lady was
very pleasant but no explanation of what we were going to cook. We produced a simple battered shrimp starter, a nice main and watched her cook a desert. My partner
wasn't a fan of shrimp so didn't enjoy the starter and there was no alternatives on the courses.

All through the course we were left to eat our food by ourselves and after cooking the desert at 12:15 the lady and couple of staff disappeared, we could hear were having their own lunch out the back! At 12:50 I went to find her to see if that was it and made an early exit

I may be biased as we did a similar course in Thailand which was superb.

More information about the place, cuisine, where the food came from anything really would of been good, a shame.

Visited January 2014
StefanM394, Owner at Traditional Khmer Cooking Classes, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
I'm terribly sorry about your experience at the school. The teacher is always very helpful and loves talking to the customers so I don't understand why this happened. I have spoken to the teacher about this and the teacher told me that she did arrive late that day. Also you mentioned it cost $24 we only charge $23 there must of been a misunderstanding about the change or wot-not. I wasn't there that day so it's differcult to judge what happened.

Best regards

Laveen
18 attraction reviews
“Nice teacher, good food, clean place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

My wife and I took the class. 3 other people attended, making a good group of 5. I understand the classes get no larger than about 8. The class is located on the roof, covered, and airy. There are working stations for each participant. The teacher was a nice woman that is also a chef at one of the local restaurants. Our cooking class was half-day, from 10 am to 2 pm. The teacher's English was satisfactory. We paid USD$23 for the class. We cooked three items: fried shrimp cakes, lok lak (beef in a Khmer sauces), and fried bananas with ice cream. We learned a lot and had a good time. This class did not have you go to the market as part of the class. The cooking class we took in Phnom Penh took us to the local market first, which was a lot of fun. The class in Sihanoukville has you prepare one dish, then eat it, then move onto another dish. I liked doing it that way. At the end we were given recipe cards for each dish that we prepared. I think the class was slightly overpriced, but fun nonetheless.

Visited January 2014
StefanM394, Owner at Traditional Khmer Cooking Classes, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are glad you had a nice day and thank you for coming.

Des Moines, Iowa, United States
“Best thing to do in Sihanoukville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I took this class with class with Sinoun in December and it was wonderful, very informative and I learned a lot.

I had contacted Stefan about taking the class and even though he was out of the country at the time, got right back to me. He was able to arrange going to the market with Sinoun prior to the class and though I've been to plenty of markets I learned a lot from that experience.

While at the market I told Sinoun how much I had enjoyed banana flower salad, so we substituted that for the planned salad in the class, it was delicious, and so easy to make. I cook quite a bit, but always learn something new when taking a class and this was no exception.

Make sure you also go to Nyam, the restaurant that Sinoun cooks at in the evening. It was one of the nicest places I went to in Cambodia and the food was delicious. I had the carmalized fish, and green mango salad both great.

Thanks Sinoun and Stefan.

Visited December 2013
StefanM394, Owner at Traditional Khmer Cooking Classes, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Thank you for coming to the school. We are very pleased you had a lovely day and enjoyed learning how to cook Cambodian food. We try and aim to please all our customers who attend.
Thank you once again for taking the time to review us.

Vancouver, Canada
“Best experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Sinoun will make your day! She picked me up at Hotel and we went to Market together. It was so interesting having her explain anything I asked and more. She taught me techniques for cooking and a few tasty dishes. This was a highlight of my visit to Sihanoukville.

Visited January 2014
StefanM394, Owner at Traditional Khmer Cooking Classes, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review, we are glad that we could arrange the market trip for you also and delighted you enjoyed the whole day.

“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

My family and I really enjoyed this, the classes were small, easy to follow and we have been able to cook everything at home. Also recommend the restaurant the chef cooks at, excellent!

Visited December 2013
StefanM394, Owner at Traditional Khmer Cooking Classes, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Thank you very much for your very kind review. We are both delighted that you enjoyed the class and thank you for coming.

Best wishes