“Great view - but loud and overpriced” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Above Us Only Sky Bar & Bungalows

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sihanoukville
Above Us Only Sky Bar & Bungalows
You added Above Us Only Sky Bar & Bungalows to your Saves list
Serendipity Beach | 40m from "Coasters", Sihanoukville, Cambodia   |
Ranked #18 of 168 Sihanoukville B&B and Inns
Fitchburg, Wisconsin
“Great view - but loud and overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

It is absolutely true that you will have a beautiful view from the rooms and the porches. I picked this spot thinking it was a little out of the way from main bar area but I was wrong. If you don't like going out late at night, you should not stay here. While not necessarily the fault of this establishment, you will hear loud music all night long until 5 or 6 am. I had ear plugs in and still couldn't sleep. Don't get me wrong - I like to go out and have fun, but when I return to my hotel room, I want to be able to sleep. We left a day early after staying one night.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Above us only sky has great staff and excellent cocktails. I have never stayed in any of their bungalows, but every time I go to Sihanukville I go for a couple of cocktails. Nice place to chill and admire the view after a lazy day on the beach!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

They get 2 stars one for the view the other for the staff. They have one of the best views in Sihounckville. great place to have a drink and relax listening to the ocean. The staff have great local knowledge for restaurants and beaches. The bungalows however need a bit of TLC. The cushions on the lounges are absolutely shot and need replacing. The shower barely dribbles water. The roof leaked directly on the bed. The music from up the beach goes until 6am. No room safe however you can leave your valuables with the bar in a safe. We didn't want to keep asking the bar staff for our camera, iPad etc... So had to carry them all the time. No fly screens on the windows. No tea or coffee in the room. If they were charging $25 a night you could kind of expect this but not at $65 a night. Very happy to leave.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else and drink at the bar
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
BrianTipspig, Manager at Above Us Only Sky Bar & Bungalows, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Brian,
So sorry that you were 'happy to leave'!
The balcony cushions have now been replaced with new ones, and the maintenance man has sorted out the shower. If you had let us know, we could have done this while you were still here, to make your stay a more comfortable one.
Our safe is not actually in the bar, but in a secure location, and it is accessible from 6.30am until the reception closes at midnight, and it is never a problem to remove or place your valuable items there. It takes a matter of minutes for you to retrieve/place your belongings.
The reason we have not put mosquito screens over the windows is that we did not want to obscure the ocean view from the bungalows, although obviously there are mosquito nets for each bed in the bungalow, and also a can of mosquito spray provided if required.
We are more of a 'Beach Bungalow' establishment rather than a hotel, which is why we haven't put tea/coffee facilities in each bungalow. You can of course, get drinks bought up to you, or even put in an order for a regular morning 'wake-up' with tea, coffee, fruit shake, or breakfast, if you ask the staff in advance.
The roof leak is a bit of a mystery still, as we are unaware from which point there was a leak.
We are waiting for the next time it rains.
Kind regards.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Was there last weekend for a few days and had so much fun. Great drinks music and setting. Special thanks to Sammy and tony. That pair are quite the double act and still give the best service on Serendipity. See you all next year!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Fremantle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Very relaxing area !! The dance music later at night ruins the serenity !! Most of the staff are fine, but one non Cambodian guy appeared to be on some heavy drugs !! Spilt food on our table !! Apart from that it was great !! Drinks are nice and so is the food !!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Craboo,
I did email you personally regarding this, as I don't like to think that any of my staff are on 'heavy drugs', and you replied that the staff member in question was a blonde 30 year old gentleman. I did reply to you that we don't have any blonde staff, and that our food is served only by Khmer waiters, to which I've not yet received a reply.
I am glad that you enjoyed your drinks, although they may not actually have been at our establishment.
Kind regards.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

Our 5 nights at Above us only sky was fantastic. Big clean bungalows with an amazing sea view. Great Staff and a very cosy bar just a few steps from the bungalows and from the sea. Thx Ben, Mary and Toni !!!

• Stayed July 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at AUOS for three nights with a friend in June 2012. It was overall quite a disappointing and grotty experience.

The room is reasonably sparse, but that's alright as we didn't expect much from a bungalow. My problem was with the lack of aircon. It didn't work for the entire 3 days. Now there is a note explaining that when the power is cut (which happens a bit in Sihanoukville) the aircon and hot water system won't work, but the fan and water will because a generator kicks in. This was not the case. Our fan worked only sporadically, and on several occasions I went to have a shower to find there was not only no hot water, but no water at all! I do understand power cuts are a way of life here, but for $40 a night I expect to get air con and hot water, as advertised. I spent most of my time hot, dirty and frustrated.

Another issue is noise - the main party bars are quite close, and as a result you can make out every word to every song blasting from the speakers till 5am. if you are one of the people dancing till 5am, it won't be a concern. On the nights we didn't go out, we found it impossible to sleep.

A final negative - on the last evening our bungalows roof started leaking. We came home from dinner to find one of the beds soaked. The barstaff moved the other bed to the other side of the room for us. But then the whole floor was dirty and wet. A minor whinge maybe, but I think it was all compounded by the lack of shower/air con situation!

There were a few good things - the balcony had great comfy chairs to relax on, and the bar is in a nice position over the rocks. But overall I was disappointed with the room and would not stay here again, or recommend it to anyone else. Staff seem nice but were pretty dopey.

I'd advise you to look elsewhere for a better place.

• Stayed June 2012
BrianTipspig, Owner at Above Us Only Sky Bar & Bungalows, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Broomegirl,
Unfortunately there were power outages during your stay in Sihanoukville, and as you've written, the air-conditioning and hot water are too consuming to use while we're on generator power. However, the fan, water, fridge, lights, and wi-fi are still fully operational at that time.
As the power cut was not for the entire 3 days you should still have had use of the a/c and hot water. Had the staff been made aware of your predicament they would have done their best to find a solution, and if you had no a/c for the duration of your stay you would have been charged at the lesser rate.
Please accept our apologies for your bad experience, I hope it didn't spoil your travels of Cambodia.
And yes, our staff are nice, and although Dopey has since left us, the 6 remaining dwarves are an asset to the business.
Kind regards,
S.Johnson

Been to Above Us Only Sky Bar & Bungalows? Share your experiences!