“Good value air con rooms with the added benefit of a decent pool!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Beach Road Hotel

You added Beach Road Hotel to your Saves list
Beach Road Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Serendipity Road, Mondul 4, Sangkat 4 | Khan Mittapheap, Sihanoukville, Cambodia   |
Ranked #31 of 60 Hotels in Sihanoukville
“Good value air con rooms with the added benefit of a decent pool!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

We came to the beach road hotel as we were in dire need of air con after staying at the big easy! After reading mixed reviews we were a bit wary, but we were definitely pleasantly surprised!

We had a twin room with air con, hot water and tv for $17 a night. The property is clean, seems well run and the pool is a great place to avoid the circus at the beach!

As previously mentioned there are a few marks on the walls that could do with a paint job, but it was nothing to worry about and the room felt clean overall. The removable safes are pretty
funny!

After a few days in koh rong we came back here. So I'd recommend it!

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Bit of a dive. Constant electricity cuts and sketchy wifi. Walls of hotel room filthy, in need of refurb.mcenal location. Rooms not serviced daily. Old stained towels etc - over priced go somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Basel, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Of course the rooms are not $8.-- but in our case $33.-- for a poolside one which is definitely overpriced. Let me point out to the various pros and cons:

Pros:
-the location is good for nightlife, restaurants and entertainment
-the pool is nice and clean
-internet access performs well
-aircon works reliably

Cons:
-rooms are run down, mattresses old and very uncomfortable. BED BUGS did bite me, mosquitoes get in through cracks in doors, mould patches on the wall and ceiling, not all lights did work, big hole in cabinet, no coat hangers
-the bathroom was also completely run down. the shower head was half missing, leaving only a small concentrated water jet. the table on which the sink is attached to is totally rotten and full of cracks, furthermore did the water barely drain off.
-the tv didn't work, so I asked them to change it during the day. when i got back the room wasn't cleaned and no tv changed. after protesting at the front desk, they came to make up the room and change the tv. the second one was also broken!
-a hilarious thing is that the safety deposit boxes -there is one in any room - is not attached to the cabinet, so if somebody wants to take your valuables he can just take the entire safe. since it isn't very big nor heavy, you could pack it into a box and just walk away. I doubt that anybody would be suspicious since nobody seems to care here anyway.

We never saw the manager/owner, only a few uninterested khmer staff and a few barangs. Both were equally disinterested in what the guests were doing!

There are many very good hotels in Sihanoukville, especially since there is quite a season going on, so you may find quite a few hotels with pool etc and with either new or well maintained rooms.

This hotel has definitely known better times and doesn't seem to be well kept.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

this is very senter hotel.if you stay there you are close to everything.2 min walk to the serentipith beach,monkey republik oposite(nice bar meeting point for back packers),atms,laundry,everything there.
also security,information,swimming pool ,.........and everything you need.
the food was ok.
very clean hotel.

Room Tip: i stayed on first floor with swimming pool view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Broadbeach, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We staying in this hotel for few night, it's very central close to everything. cross the road Monkey Republic serving great meal. on the last day of our stay we decided to hop on the island boat when we get back we really need a shower, we asked the front office if we can use shower they won't give it to us, even tho we offer to pay for using the shower. at the end we decided to go to the spa cross the road and have massage and use their shower while we waiting for our bus that will take us to Siam Reap.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My primary guesthouse of choice was fully booked, and the Beach Road Hotel turned out to be the cheapest available choice in the same general area. The existing TripAdvisor reviews were worrisome, but in the end this turned out to be a fairly decent hotel.

I stayed in a standard room without a view to the pool, and it was not at all fancy. However, the air conditioning worked well and without undue noise, and the television provided almost 100 channels in various languages, including 4 movie channels in English. The room has also a fan, which I used a couple of nights, since the weather was cool enough. There was a largish in-room safe, but it was so cubical that you could not fit a 15" laptop inside. There was no fridge and the hotel did not provide any free drinking water. The double bed was comfortable enough. There was plenty of storage space with a cupboard and a hallstand. There seemed to be only a single free available electric socket in addition to the one used by the television. The roof had a black stain, which probably was mildew but there did not seem to be a particularly nasty smell in the room. The room rate is actually the same for one and two persons, since no breakfast is included.

The Wi-Fi signal was good and strong, but Internet access was impossible from time to time. I suspect that their DHCP server was crashing from time to time, and unfortunately the staff at reception was totally unhelpful. Problems were eventually fixed probably when someone knowledgeable finally noticed by himself that there was a problem.

The bathroom was rather large but very basic with a toilet seat, wash basin and a shower equipped with a very well working water heater. Next to the toilet seat was the typical hand shower for cleaning your private parts, but unfortunately there was no wall fixture where you could have stored it properly - you just had to had it flop around on the floor or lodge it precariously behind the toilet seat cover. The bathroom amenities included two toothbrushes and two small pieces of soap.

In my eyes the pool area seemed tidy enough, but I never used it, since I preferred to swim in the sea.

The hotel seems to be constructed so that the only route into the premises goes through the restaurant and the reception desk. However, one morning I went out 5am to get drinking water that I had forgotten to buy and the night porter was fast asleep and the security guard sitting outside did not appear that alert, either. It cannot really say if the security is good enough or not.

Check-in and check-out was quite smooth. Payment could by done with credit cards and their terminal even used chip and PIN. The reception was also quite good at organizing bus tickets. They asked for a $0.50 mark-up for a Sorya bus ticket to Phnom Penh, which is not bad when taking a motorcycle taxi to the bus terminal would have cost at least $1.

The hotel does not really have a laundry service. I believe they accept the laundry, carry it across the street to the Monkey Laundy and charge a mark-up. I rather did that by myself. The place charged about $1/kg.

The prices in the hotel restaurant seemed to be on par with the other tourist restaurants where I ate. It had CNN and Fox sports on two televisions and provided also a free pool table. The service provided by the Cambodian staff was quite slow and indifferent. It took some five minutes to get a cup of coffee, and the main reason seemed to be that nobody got onto the job although they were not doing anything else, either. However, the hotel is owned by Estonians and part of the time they had a few Estonian women working at the bar, too. They were quite responsive and effective - a cup of coffee brewed from scratch arrived in two minutes.

During my stay there were even two reasonably short blackouts per day. I heard that Sihanoukville has problems with the electric supply, and clearly this hotel has not installed a backup generator or is quite slow at getting it up and running.

The hotel is located on the slope of a small hill and there are hotels much closer to the beach, but the services available within a 300 meter radius were quite good. In addition to the laundry there were several other restaurants, a combined minimart and snack bar open 24/7, spas, travel agencies, a dive shop and several ATMs, etc. However, these closest ATMs charge a $4 fee for transactions. The Canadia bank in front of the casino on Ekareach Street some 600 metres away had no such charge and dispensed also the more convenient $50 bills instead of the $100 bills. On the other side of the signature Lion Traffic Circle is a night market area where the restaurants are open also in the daytime. These are not fancy at all being just sheds without any air conditioning, but the Khmer food was good and cheap and the beer was even cheaper. I got no stomach problems, so that became my favorite place to eat. On the other hand, the hotel is quite far from the terminal where the Sorya bus from Phom Penh arrives. I had to pay $3 for a motorcycle taxi ride and a tuk tuk would have been twice the price. Fortunately the moto driver was miraculously able to squeeze my smallish suitcase in front of him.

You pay extra for the swimming pool so I'm not sure that I would stay again in Beach Road Hotel, since I had no urge to use it and there are quite posh looking guest houses very close or even closer to the beach.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed with my husband and 10 year old daughter only because it had a pool and we were trying to save some money. It was a very average room, although the air conditioner worked quite well. I didn't like the atmosphere of the place - mainly men seemed to have stayed here during our visit, but that is my fault because I knew the area wasn't really family oriented. The staff weren't great and when we were checking out, they tried to charge us for a range of mini bar items which we didn't use. We hadn't even opened the fridge! Luckily the room hadn't been cleaned in the two nights we were there so I pointed out that they could check our bin for evidence of whether we had indeed raided the mini bar. Overall, I think this would suit the non-family budget traveller.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Beach Road Hotel? Share your experiences!