“Kernville Relaxation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Kern Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kernville
The Kern Lodge
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Kernville
Evansville, Indiana
“Kernville Relaxation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

We were very pleased with the service and friendliness making our reservation and registration. We were given suggestions on things to do and where to go. We used the barbeque pits, built a fire and enjoyed the bright stars and friendly people. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

We spent one night at the Kern Lodge as we were passing through on a little roadtrip from San Diego. We decided to make our stop in Kernville, as we are quite the beer geeks, and Kern River Brewing Co. is close by. On our way in from 14, we made our turn onto 178 and our jaws just dropped. The drive up to and through the Lake Isabella area is just stunning. We compared it to some of our drives throughout Glacier National Park in Montana, and also Ireland (by Lake Isabella). We stopped into Kern Lodge, and Sue and her cute dog Rocky greeted us and provided us with a nice room for a discount. She was great and provided us with directions to Death Valley, etc. Our room was great, it reminded us of staying in the Adirondacks in NY. There was a nice sized kitchen, and everything was clean. We spent the night at the Kern River Brewing Co., which was literally right behind the Lodge. The food was great, the brews even better, and the nice conversations we had with the bartender (Beth) and co-owner (Eric) were a welcome surprise. We've decided to come back to the Kern Lodge in a few weeks so we can see the Sequoias and Death Valley. Would recommend this as a place to stay to family and friends.

Yuba City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

I agree with all the previous positive comments and would only that the establishment provides an abundance of tourist information. It is was very evident that the staff truly cares about their customers.

Los Gatos, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

We stumbled upon Kern Lodge by accident while traveling down 178 to Death Valley, but it couldn't have been a better accident! The first night we ended up there the owners got up late to let us in and rent us a room. It was the off-season so they gave us a $150 room for about $85! The room was great- wood paneling, flat screen TV, Tempurpedic mattresses, with a gorgeous little kitchenette and nice bathroom. We enjoyed our stay so much we decided to stop in at the Kern Lodge on our way back from our desert destination.

When we checked out we told them we'd be back in a few days. The super-nice owners/ staff said "no problem! We'll give you the same room for the same price!" Great! We come back a few days later and check in, and we find out they didn't give us the same room- they upgraded us to the Master Suite, just because. The Master Suite isn't a room...it's a 2 bed/ 2 ba house! Again, tempupedic mattresses, big flat screen TVs, an AMAZING shower/ bathroom, amazing views, and walking distance to great food. For UNDER $100 for the night!!!

I seriously have never been happier with a hotel experience, Kernville is a gem of a town and the Kern Lodge is a gem of a hotel. I'm now planning vacations just to go back to this awesome town and hotel!

As my title says, Great rooms, Great service, and great people.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms have Tempurpedic mattresses, but the Master Suite is AMAZING...especially the...
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

This place got really good ratings, so I decided to go for it. I have relatives that live in Kernville, and I was attending a family reunion with my mother. We stayed for 4 nights. The place was exactly what I would have expected from a motel that was built in 1955. I spent a lot of time in Kernville during the 70's, and this place so reminded me of those times. I mean this in a good way! The manager (I think it was Sue) was so nice on the phone about taking care of things. My mom and I got rooms next to each other. Each was perfect. The rooms are what some may consider a bit over furnished, but they are extremely practical in what they give you. Plenty of places to put things away (if you are into unpacking), lovely furnishings, and that shiny type of walls like they did in the 50's (like sha-lacked wood). I LOVED it! My room had a recliner chair that I could put my feet up in and watch TV or read. The king size bed was perfect, and each of our rooms had a small kitchenette in it that had a small fridge and microwave. Each had heat/air. This place was SO CLEAN, I dare you to try and find ANY dust. It was also amply stocked - extra towels (should I have needed them) already in the room, extra toilet paper, and the kitchen even had paper towels - can you imagine? Now to address the only bad things that were stated in other people's reviews. Yes, the show is incredibly small when you are big. I weigh around 300 pounds, but I was able to take a quick shower in it. Yes it was a tight squeeze, but how long do I need to stay in the shower anyway? Water is a resource, and this shower certainly encouraged me to remember this (lol)! As for the comment about the Brewery (restaurant/bar) that is right behind the lodge, yes it can get a bit loud with people in the parking lot. I would like to however say that I called Sue about this on the phone as soon as I got to my room, and she explained that they usually stop about 10pm, and she was right. Before 10pm, the noise (music playing in the cars) had stopped and they had left. I heard noise a bit the next night, but only for a short while. So, these two things to me, did not deter from my wonderful experience of this place. Sue is on sight, so if you are going to arrive late, she can not only let you in, but will also turn the heat on for you! There is a pool for you to use during the summer months, and Rocky the dog is friendly....I would HIGHL recommend this to anyone that can appreciate a good old fashioned but CLEAN AND FRIENDLY motel!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
San Jose, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

To say that my stay at The Kern Lodge was extraordinary would be a vast understatement.

After driving past Bakersfield (where we'd intended to stop for the night), we ended up near Lake Isabella after 10:00 p.m. It's off season, and everything was closed. But an attendant at a local gas station was kind enough to phone up to the Lodge and ask about a vacancy. We were in luck, and we couldn't believe our good fortune.

We were met by Sue and her gorgeous labradoodle Rocky. And they made us feel like family. We absolutely loved the room. It had a small kitchenette, a spacious single room with two very comfortable memory-foam mattresses, and a big screen TV. The shower was a little small, but the ambiance of the room (rustic wood paneling all the way around), not to mention the incredible views to wake up to, more than made up for it.

We only stayed the night, but stopped in and chatted with Sue and Patrick at the front desk before heading on to Death Valley. We felt such incredibly warmth there, that we decided to alter our travel plans to come back through a day later and spend another night at the Kern Lodge. Yes, it was that good of an experience!

When we arrived, Sue showed us to our new room. They'd upgraded us to the Master Suite, which was absolutely ridiculous. It was a full house, and if there'd been a way to buy the place, we would have. We spent the evening exploring the downtown area, and spent a lot more time enjoying the luxurious spa/bath/jacuzzi tub. Later, we enjoyed playing games in front of the enormous TV and gas fireplace, before sleeping soundly in a king-size bed that has to be the most comfortable motel bed I've ever slept in.

It being the off season, there weren't many guests staying at the Lodge, so we got an absolutely astounding rate on both rooms.

Kernville was a beautiful place. But The Kern Lodge was our gateway into that town. Sue, Patrick, and Rocky were our first friendly faces greeting us, and their charming lodge made us fall in love with the place. We simply cannot wait to go back.

And often!

Room Tip: Close the blinds before you go to bed! The sun rises brightly there!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

Our 2 night stay at the Kern Lodge was great! I was a bit surprised when we walked into the room, as the two queen beds were actually bunk beds! But it was actually lovely - the beds were sturdy and the mattresses were extremely comfortable. (Would not recommend for 4 adults. Fine for 2.) The staff was super nice as well, there are dvds at the front desk and dvd players in the room And if you are a dog lover, Rocky will love you back! Our room was not made up during our middle day, not sure why. Didn't really need it anyway! Our room had rustic decor, by which I do not mean old or dirty! Everything was nicely deocrated, clean - new flat screen tv, free wireless, lazy boy sofa and in-room thermostat and stove with gas fire. We loved it!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Kern Lodge? Share your experiences!