“RECOMMEND TO ANYONE THAT WANTS QUIET AND A VIEW,” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maple's McCambridge Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kernville
Maple's McCambridge Lodge
13525 Sierra Way, Kernville, CA 93238   |
Ranked #4 of 6 hotels in Kernville
WALNUT CALIFORNIA
“RECOMMEND TO ANYONE THAT WANTS QUIET AND A VIEW,”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

OK i READ THE REVIEWS, BUT NOTHING COULD BE SO FAR FROM THEN TRUTH.
I checked in at the office and was greeted by Althena the owner, she was booked up for the Kernville Festival that weekend, but offered me the cozy cabin to the side of the lodge for the same rate as the rooms, Very cool. it has the vintage touch but the place was clean and the bathroom looked spacious as with the cute second bedroom for another friend if need be.
The price was lower than all the motels in that area and it was off the road so i did not have to hear every car driving up and down the highway like the other hotels. very secure parking away from the street.
My bed was clean, the bathroom was clean and the toilet was new, the room came with fresh cut flowers every day, a bowl of assorted candy, microwave popcorn and clean microwave. Thats the free stuff , A small refridgirator that kept some beer very cold.
a store right next door well stocked with Deli food hot and cold, the Kernville Brewery was awesome for dinner and a fine ale, one night, Kernville BBQ was another 50 yards away.
All this and more within walking distance from MC CAMBRIDGE LODGE, If your used to the Hilton than go to a Hilton, There your another overpaying piece of meat.*** I was treated with respect and warm hospitality during my stay at MC CAMBRIDGE LODGE.
Any singles or couples would fit right in with this cozy enviroment, if you have kids than take them to a hotel with a fence to keep your kids under control, this Lodge is open to the landscape and foliage to hike and wander with out borders. I was there to raft and riverboard for 4 days, and the Lodge was the retreat I needed when the day was done.
don't believe all the Negative reviews. Althena and Dan were just like FAMILY and any question I had or need was addressed right away. Motorcycle touring riders will like this Lodge for the easy in and out as well as the security of having their bike parked away from criminals on the highway looking for oppurtunity. I met alot of new friends in my 4 days in Kernville and the Lodge owners were 2 of them, I will be back and the
MC CAMBRIDGE LODGE is my home when I'm there. By the way I am 53 years old and have grey hair, Italian back ground dark skin . So race or age is not an issue here at the lodge like some reviews claimed. Give them a try,You will be happy!!!!!!! I was \ @..@ /

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2009

We love staying at the Lodge! We travel with a group every year (sometimes 2 or 3 times a year) and always stay with Dan and Althea. We stumbled upon the Lodge about five years ago when it was recommended by a local resident of Kernville. We would never think about going anywhere else. In 2008 our group numbered 18 and the year before I think we had every room in the lodge except one ( booked six months ahead with that trip). I can tell you that in August 2008 we brought a "new" group of friends consisting of our daughters' college friends and assorted parents for hiking and rafting and sitting out and enjoying the view. (We never come with less than twelve because we always raft and the discounts start on groups of twelve or more.) Our base is always the Lodge and the memories of the river, the barbecues and our weekends there are all treasured. The Lodge is the home of Dan and Althea and we are honored that they have opened it to us.

• Liked — Clean, close to town, kitchens, pool, owners are great people.
  • Disliked — It isn't always available when I want it.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
long beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

Myself and a few friends stayed at the McCambridge Lodge on a trip through the sierra's. The view of the river from our room was beautiful and the sound of the water flowing was very therapeutic. The room was not huge, but they were clean and really exactly what i expected for the price. The owners were very friendly and knowledgeable of the area and helped us with directions to a few local hiking spots. I would definitely make a return visit to the McCambridge as it's one of the only places in Kernville that offers a view overlooking the river.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Cambria CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

While this isn't the Ritz, it is a cute little mountain motel. The owners were very nice, and even upgraded my room. The room was large and spacious with an amazing view of the Kern River and the mountains. The view was so spectacular that my friend and I woke up early Sunday morning & sat outside it the freezing cold just to enjoy it! The rooms are very cute and the decor attractive. I would recommend this motel to others. Keep in mind that it is an older motel, but its cared for nicely. It would probably be classified as a 2 Star Hotel. Stay! You'll be pleasantly surprised.
TIP: Try the Brewery up the street! Awesome!

• Liked — The amazing view and the nice accomodatons
  • Disliked — The first impression from outside the motel. Don't let that fool ya though.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Northern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

Well I want to set the record straight here. I read all the good and all the bad reviews.
First let me say that all the motels in Kernville are small motels, most with the owners running the place. No big chains, no Hiltons here. So expect every place in town to be a bit rustic and simple.
The owners were very nice people that care about their motel, we spent time talking with them a few times during our 2 day stay there and they were most helpful....great folks.
The three rooms we had were all very clean. One room had a great view and two of them had nice kitchen areas, one in a cabin was a little more simple.
All of them were nice rooms in different ways. There was candy in a dish, coffee and popcorn in all the rooms, along with refrigerators and microwaves.
all four of us would stay there again.

• Liked — great view
  • Disliked — the outside could be a littel neater
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Simi Valley, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

The motel is run down and dirty. There were beer bottles and trash dumped in different planter areas on the property. The rooms were awful. The beds were uncomfortable, bedding was hideous, T.V. Remote was broken, and the bathroom toilette seat looked like it had been used one to many times. The only thing nice about the place is the view from outside the room and the candy and popcorn left in the room for the kids. The neighbors were noisy until about midnight and had no concern for others. We will stay somewhere else next time we are in Kernville.

• Liked — View of river
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

My wife and I recently had the distinctly unpleasant experience of spending three nights at the McCambridge Lodge in Kernville, California. We were in Kernville to attend a festival which resulted in the complete occupancy of the town’s total complement of fairly modest motel accommodations. Knowing that rooms would be tight, we booked our room via telephone months in advance based on the information presented in the motel’s website. A major claim of on the website is that the rooms have balconies and views of the Kern River. We booked one such room. When we arrived at about 7:00 PM, we found a note on the office door informing us that our room (No. 6) was open and the key was inside. The “office hours” are from 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM only. The room turned out to be in a separate building adjacent to the main motel with no balcony or river view. But, that was of only very minor concern compared to our experience with the condition of the room and the overall appearance of the property. We can’t speak for the other rooms, which apparently have river views, but the entire property was shabby, rundown, and cluttered with junk. Our two-room accommodation was furnished with old, worn furniture, the window blinds were broken, and the bathroom should have been replaced about 25 years ago. The toilet seat was truly disgusting. With no other accommodation available in Kernville or in the immediate area, we were stuck there for three nights. That such a place can remain in business in the 21st Century California speaks to the age old economic law of supply in demand. With so few other accommodations in what is apparently only a seasonal tourist area, they can get away with something like this. My advice to any would be visitors to Kernville is to avoid the McCambridge Lodge like the plague.

• Liked — Absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — Toilet seat from hell, shabby room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Maple's McCambridge Lodge? Share your experiences!