“Food great - service very poor” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 12 Restaurants in Kernville
Cuisines: Mexican
Bodfish, California, United States
“Food great - service very poor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

No greeting, no welcome because the server was too busy talking on her cell phone. Just tossed down three menus in front of us. Finally she came back out to take our drink order - sans phone. This was not the first time we felt unwelcome by the server. Food was delicious!! Wonderful chicken taco! Would I go back - I would check to see who is working in the dining room first!

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Wofford Heights, California, United States
“Best Mexican food anywhere !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I love Carnie Asada tacos. El Rios are the best I've had. The food is always good, the service is friendly and quick. Prices are good. We go almost every weekend and they are not too crowded on Holiday weekends. Nice family owned business.

Visited August 2012
Bakersfield, California
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stopped by for a quick bite while we were out and about and rafting the Kern. From the outside and looks like nothing special and the inside looks like a little hole in the wall. But from the first bite I seriously could not believe the amazingness of this tiny little restaurant. My enchilada sauce was so flavorful, and the shredded beef taco was full of flavorful, tender beef. The chips and salsa were plentiful, and the waitress was attentive and kind without being overbearing. I will for sure be back to visit, even if it is out of my way to visit Kernville!

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
“Excellent Mexican food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Mexican food is a favorite of mine and I am always looking for great places to pick some up when I travel. El Rio is on the top of my list, which is absolutely surprising to me-I didn't expect to find such a hidden gem in this part of the state.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Caliente, CA
“Great place...........”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

If you enjoy good Mexican food then you'll truly enjoy El Rio. This place is "hidden" from the main part of town and it's what I'd call a "hidden gem". When you walk in your first thought may be that this is sort of a "hole in the wall" but don't let the fact that it's not on the main drag of Kernville. Food is excellent and there is no doubt that we will return on our next visit to town.

• Visited February 2012