“Family Favorite” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rivernook Campground

Rivernook Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kernville
Rivernook Campground
PO Box 8, 14001 Sierra Way, Kernville, CA 93238   |
Santa Clarita, California
“Family Favorite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

My family has been coming here for about 7 years. We have never experienced any of the negative issues mentioned by other commenters. Our spots have always looked clean upon our arrival and have never had rowdy neighbors. My only complaint is that some of the graffiti in the bathrooms has been there since I have been going there.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

14 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Foothill Ranch
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We have just returned from camping here in a travel-trailer. Our family had been there in the past, so we went with a larger group this year. We stayed in the full hook-up spots and will NOT be doing that again. You are not very close to water, and the walk is not so great when you have rafts, coolers, etc. Two of the couples we were with have been going there for 30 years and noted that there was a negative difference in the way the grounds were maintained.

PROS: Right on the Kern River, and down river from the Hatchery, where fish are usually stocked into the river. There is a neat little creek that runs through the camp, large enough to swim in.

CONS: Literally no management. They were there when we checked in, and that was the last I saw anyone in the office. The sites are EXTREMELY dusty (I am an avid dry-camper, so I don't expect a lot, but this was BAD) and none of our group's sites were cleaned prior to check-in. In addition, there is trash littered all over the property, including near the water. This isn't entirely the management's fault, as campers should take-in/take-out. I was pretty disgusted with the amount of trash...broken bottles, plastic cups, etc. People seem to have no sense of courtesy either, as by the second day, we were listening to mariachi music come from the tent sites at 7 am (this would be something that management could do something about). We had campers also come in and set up at 3 am, blasting music and running around in a golf cart.

I would not recommend this campground, but if you HAVE to go, stay in a site near water. If you have small children, the river usually runs quite fast, so you won't be able to just 'relax' in the water.

We did go next door to Camp James, which was like the Ritz Carlton compared to this place. But, their water sites are not as numerous and the non-water sites are much smaller.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ontario, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I have been comming to Rivernook for the past 20 years and have seen a huge drop in campers. There was a time when people worked and cleaned up the campspots before new campers arrived when bathroom were cleaned on a dailey baises when toilets and showers were fixed in a timely fashion. There used to be managment on site that were strict and sometimes heavy handed but made sure that everone had a good time. Now managment is non existint. I met a man named Steve who said he was the owner and that if i didnt like the way it was then leave . Some customer service Believe me in the future I will be staying next door at James Camp

Room Tip: Go to James Camp!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

I love this campground! It is very clean, the showers are warm and pretty clean. There is no crazy wildlife waiting for your food. I've been to other campsites where the raccoons are practically sitting on your lap asking to be fed. Not this place! Rivernook is an all-time favorite of ours. We go at least once a year.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Corona, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

It seems Eric L. from Redondo Beach needs to stick to a campground more his level.

Perhaps the KOA - Beverly Hills is more to your liking? I'm sure they will even heat up your Toilet seat before using it if his Majesty so pleases?

I've camped there more than a few times over the past 10 years and not once have I seen Diapers on the ground NOR Dog-poop-land-mines scattered around as he suggested.

Sure... there are trailers that have full-timers.... but they are near the front.

The point of going there is to be near the river.... not up front. They are however very clean as I remember.

I don't remember the Bathroom conditions NOR do I recall seeing any "Tweekers". I do think that had the bathrooms been as bad as suggested that I would remember that. (We use our Trailer bathroom for convenience though).

I'm going to chalk his review up to being (possibly) a competitor from "a much better spot downstream".

Look up Yelp reviews to see what people on average really think.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Hesperia, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

We stayed in a pull thru site toward the end of the camp area. When we pulled a group of deer were walking thru our campsite! The river is within walking distance of the camp area (some camp site are right on the river). They provided us with a cable hook however I couldn't get it to work. The staff wasn't overly friendly but still helpful when needed. The park is occupied by permanently resident as well as vacationers. The weather wasn't too great when we went in April but its awesome in the summer time (very busy, and more of party atmosphere in the summertime). The town is a less than a mile away from this camp area, which is very convenient. Down the rod, less than a mile is a boys detention center , where we often seen the boys working outside (monitored by guard), which creeped me out a little.

Room Tip: campsite a good size, full hook ups available, very scenic, good priced!
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Redondo Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Very disappointed. I just came home from a trip to Kern with some friends and we stayed at Rivernook campground. It was so bad we stayed only one night and left the next day and found a much better spot downstream. First of all, it is not a campground. They may say it is, but is more of a low class trailer park. They have people living there, and the spots that actually are for camping are more like dusty parking spaces. Pets roam the property unattended looking for food handouts. Overall the cleanliness of the whole place was poor at best. Dog poop litters the grounds like land mines and even dirty diapers were left by the water. The bathrooms were some of the worst I have ever seen or smelled. It really was shocking to see how little management cared for the needs of the campers. Don't even try to go complain about the conditions, we were rudely cussed at by the management who refused to refund any portion of our money. If you like tweeker trailer parks, this is the place for you.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Rivernook Campground? Share your experiences!