“I fell in love with River View Lodge.” 5 of 5 stars

River View Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Sirretta St., Off Kernville Rd., Kernville, CA 93238   |
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Kernville
West Hills, CA
“I fell in love with River View Lodge.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

River View Lodge has been a cozy, homey, and relaxing escape for my family and me. My husband, 2 sons (8 and 18), and I were trying to find a rustic, peaceful retreat after camping in 65 mph winds. You know, a place to hang out with my family in the sun (with no wind), fish, and relax. So, while enjoying breakfast at Cheryl's diner, we asked our waitress where we could find such a place. She immediately suggested River View Lodge, right across the street. So off we go to see if 'there's any room at the Inn"....2 rooms left......thank you Lord. The coziness of the room struck me.....incense cedar walls and ceiling, lace curtains, and a WONDERFUL pillow-top bed. My husband and I actually awoke pain-free in our backs for the first time in ages. The landscaping is lush with bird-feeders beckoning the various birds in the area.
The beach off the lodge is spacious and calm......perfect for my 8-year-old son to fish independently, while still being in sight and close by. My 18-year-old loves to walk around town, meet new people, and fish on River View Lodge's beach.
John and Annette are wonderful hosts and are always generous with lots of fishing tips!!!!
I get weepy when we leave to head back to the LA area......then I plan the next trip and feel much better.
Just know, if you are at River View Lodge and we are not...... we are very jealous. :)

~The LaGorio Family

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Bellflower, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

This is a great family location! You can watch the kids from the Lodge playing in the river. The fishing was awesome!!! My husband and I caught our limit with in a couple hours on the lake and enjoyed our catch for dinner that night! The fireworks show was so much fun! The rooms are clean and the hospitality is second to none! We will be return guests for years to come! Thank you Riverview Lodge staff!!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Pasadena, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

I knew better than to expect anything more than basic comfort but when we got into the room and saw the bedspreads had disgusting stains on them and then, to top it off, the toilet seat was broken, that was it. Unfortunately, we had to stay for the two nights we booked but will never recommend or stay there again. If the price had been $50/night I would have understood but at over $100/night, that was ridiculous. We were promised the seat would be fixed while we were rafting but, NO - the only good thing was the location to the rafting - that was perfect. Camping would have been much better (& cheaper)

• Stayed June 2010
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

Lowest value room we have had in years---we paid $89 for the threadbare sheets and paper-thin walls that did nothing to shield our ears from the roar of the road and the late-night babble of the inconsiderate owner and his friends as they chattered and smoked outside our room. There was no alarm clock in our room; fortunately, the owner and his friend returned to within earshot at 6:15 to resume their nonsensical chatter. Asking for silence turned out to be little more than a snooze button; a gas powered saw and backhoe showed up at 7:15 AM. Carpet stains in our room are extensive enough to elicit speculation over what small animals may have been slaughtered here in recent times. All in all, a fantastic experience. Be sure to tell them we sent you.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
lakeisabella
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010

I have come to find this treasure in the Kern River Valley. The Riverview Lodge is a warm and comforting place to stay. And it’s right on the river! How cool is that. I have come to get to know the Owners. They have always showed the warmest regard to my family and I. Their lodge is a true reflection of the owners. If you are looking for a great place to stay with your family choose the Riverview Lodge. You will not be disappointed. Check out their website at www.riverviewlodge.net

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2008

I have stayed here twice in the past 6 weeks. This is an appealing and slightly funky place that is worn but charming. The folk who run it are very pleasant, the rooms comfy and quirky and in my experience, slightly tired, but very clean. The prices are a little high, but I enjoy it and would recommend it to those who like older motels and inns with some character and history, A little sprucing up could be done at minor cost, and a few repairs would help, but I would not change this little lodge much for the world.

• Liked — friendly, charming
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Placentia, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2008

Very disappointing…..

This is not the cozy, quaint, clean place they portray on their web site. In the lobby area the blinds were thick with dust and dead bugs. The room was somewhat clean, but lots of things
were broken. The door lock was not secure, one window screen was torn out at the bottom, and one of the windows wouldn’t even stay open. The rooms are dark, dingy, and musty smelling. They
have security lights in front of each room that shine into room at night because the window shades don’t fit properly. The long porch unfortunately is covered with cobwebs and the chairs have
dirty cushions. Not an inviting place to sit and watch the river, which is a shame as it, could be a great spot. All in all, this place is in need of major clean up and renovation. Will not stay there again.

Been to River View Lodge? Share your experiences!