“Another Pleasant Surprise in Kernville” 5 of 5 stars

Whispering Pines Lodge
13745 Sierra Way, Kernville, CA 93238   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Kernville B&B and Inns
Texas
“Another Pleasant Surprise in Kernville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

The end of a long day on the road with nowhere to stay we were very lucky to find the excellent Whispering Pines Lodge. It was a Sunday night, getting late and most places in Kernville weren't answering their phone. My lady had tried The Kern Lodge as their roadside sign said "Vacancy" and was yelled at by a rude night manager who said " read the sign - we are full"! Anyway, we drove back along the road and found Whispering Pines. Louise, the owner, was just locking up for the night but she was very friendly and insisted we would "...like our room. Everybody like our room.." And indeed, we did. Large room, clean, decor "eclectic" shall we say. Nice big balcony where we sat and watched the stars and listened to the river. In the morning, the breakfast was one of the better ones we had on the road, freshly cooked by Louise, including some excellent quiche. Main building decor definitely folksy! After breakfast we had the pleasure of watching a young deer from our balcony. A beautiful little spot run by a very friendly 78 years young lady. Price was okay for the area - $135 if I recall - and for the quality. Would definitely stay here again if ever in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

60 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Stanton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We had a great time staying at the Whispering Pines Lodge. They have a nice pool and kids enjoyed it very much. The breakfast they provide was delicious. In the afternoon my husband went to buy some meat at the local grocery store and we used the grill on the property to make some barbeque. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We would definitely come back again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room 111. We had a king size bed. The bathroom was large. It was very convenien...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I had the pleasure of visiting Whispering Pines. The scenery was priceless, the complementary breakfast had everything you could imagine.

Prices are fair. I enjoyed my stay and I will be sure to tell all my friends and family.

Room Tip: Tips: The rooms with the river view or The suite where you can BBQ it's like a one bedroom apt w...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Came here with friends for a getaway weekend. All the staff was very nice. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. The breakfast was good. We requested rooms 107 & 108 which we got. They have great views and balconies. We really enjoyed our stay we just all agree that the price is a bit high. We do recommend this place though, it was a great time!

• Stayed April 2013
Malibu
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The property is right on Sierra Way, but runs down to the river. We had what must be the honeymoon suite, as it had a jacuzzi tub. The fireplace wasn't working, but we were warned at check in, and the room was discounted accordingly.
The decor was not to my taste, but still, it was very cozy and nice, with homelike touches here and there much like any cabin in the woods. Apparently, there is a breakfast on site, but we joined friends in the town of Kernville instead. The pool seemed clean, and the location on the river could not be more idyllic. We will return, but I think we will ask for a room overlooking the river.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room overlooking the river.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Murrieta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I reviewed this propery in May 2011. I vowed to never stay there again, and have tried a few other motels; unfortunately, this is the nicest property in 1.5 hours.

I recently stayed again; I'm glad to report that many much-needed changes are being made. My room had brand new curtains, pillows, comforter, and a skirt. I saw carpet cleaners there the next morning. The owner indicated that the hard wood floors and cabinets, along with shower curtains, were next. I didn't have an asthma attack this time, thank goodness.

The full breakfast is fabulous: bacon, sausage, cheesy potatoes, eggs any way you like them, breads, juices, usually quiche, and a few desserts. The downside for business travelers is that breakfast is served from 8 am to 10 am.

Room Tip: Ify ou have difficulties moving about, ask for a room without stairs: 109-112. There is also one r...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Beverly Hills, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Well, clearly some folks have not had a good experience here. For our part, the visit was lovely. Keeping in mind that you're probably out here to enjoy the river, perhaps doing some fishing, you have to allow for the rustic nature of the area. It amuses me that some people expect a five star bed and breakfast in Kernville. Kernville? Really? Come on folks. This isn't San Diego or Carmel. Give these people a break already.

One reviewer wrote "had to eat Cherrios with my OWN soy milk!"

That one made me laugh. The rest of the country points at and makes fun of people like that as being "typical," ridiculous, Californians. (We live in Los Angeles, btw, and love it)

We stayed here for a weekend (three nights, actually), and found it quaint and the staff lovely. They work hard, and make every effort to please. Yes, the place is more motel-like than B&B, but our rooms were clean, and the pool was fabulous. It's certainly not like a Motel 6 or Vagabond Inn. This is family-owned, and more personable than any national chain. It's rustic. It's fine. I challenge anyone to find a better place to stay in this area. Seems to me they're all in this category, or worse. Out here, you're either camping, in an RV, or staying in a place like this. And the Whispering Pines is pretty nice. We really liked it, even though we too have stayed in five-star hotels in the US and Europe. This is not that kind of place. It's simple, pleasant, and comfortable. You won't find a Hyatt up here serving lattes. Grab a raft, and go down the river. Just be careful, and wear a life jacket. The river trip is fantastic, and exactly what a city dweller needs to recharge those primal batteries. Relax and enjoy.

As for the middle of nowhere, allow me to qualify. There are restaurants within walking distance, as well as a general store. Whispering Pines is actually situated very well, including a path down to the river. Pricing is what the market will bear. It's a bit higher than we expected, but looking around, seeme to be the going rate. I actually came back to trip advisor to look for rooms, but guess what? Pines is sold out for the dates we wanted. Guess it cant be THAT bad, right? We will certainly return. Hopefully we won't bump into those Vegans. Oy.... Who travels with their own soy milk in tow anyway?

Room Tip: Be nice to the staff, and they'll be nice to you. We loved the rooms by the pool.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Whispering Pines Lodge? Share your experiences!