“Fabulous Boutique Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Saugatuck, Michigan
“Fabulous Boutique Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

We stayed right before the high-season rates hit so I thought it was a reasonable value. It is very nice, very plush, very responsive and effusive service. I would stay there again at the rate we paid. Everything is well maintained. Breakfast was included and not to be missed. One odd thing is that kids are not allowed but there were kids playing in the pool at 9p PDT at night. Kind of weird.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

I received a gift certificate from work (another hotel) with a dinner for 2 and an overnight stay.
We arrived and they couldn't find the reservation. No problem, they quickly upgraded us to a Junior Suite (Room 5). The Front Desk staff were the best!

They have complimentary port just off the lobby, which is a nice touch. We were shown around the property with times services were offered and amenities.

The room was fantastic with a fireplace, jacuzzi tub, tile shower, separate bedroom and adjoining private patio.

Dinner was very good and the Executive Chef was very friendly as were all the wait staff.
Breakfast was either Continental or served. The breakfast served was one item but with the offering of the "buffet" it was more than enough! Breakfast was from 6:30 AM to 10 AM.

The bed was VERY comfortable and we didn't hear any traffic noise. The Villa/Tuscan look was very homey and laid back.

No TV or coffee maker in the room but that wasn't the reason we went there. It was actually very refreshing. I don't mind walking for my coffee!

All said, a wonderful experience! A little pricey (not for us being it was free) but that is the nature of the area. The staff is what really made our stay memorable!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

I just love this place - can't quite put my finger on it, as when I do look objectively, there are issues. Sure, it is close to the road, but you never notice. Some of the rooms are a little "antique-y," not totally my style, but whatever (the larger suites are very nice). You feel like you are in an old-world villa. The "free" breakfast is a nice touch (although at the rates you pay, you can hardly call it free), but this last time we visited, we were a little disappointed (and one morning the sauteed spinach tasted like someone had thrown a cup of salt into it by accident), but again, you're in wine country so who cares? I also love the little wine bar, we always order some wine and cheese and the atmosphere in there is just magic. If there were one quibble, being major foodies, I'd say that the food is not quite up to par (there are much better places out there), but it will satisfy those who are less picky.

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

Since this property was recently voted by readers of Conde Nast Traveler as best resort on the U.S. mainland, expectations were very high. This is a nice property but by no means, should it be the best resort on the U.S. mainland. Come on now! Who stuffed the ballot box this year? Been to a number of 4-5 star properties in North America and Kenwood should not be #1 on U.S. mainland or in California for that matter.

Pluses: small, beautiful property with Tuscan villa feel. Nice, large rooms...again with Tuscan decor and nice bath amenities. Friendly, albeit not 5-star professional, staff. Very romantic jacuzzi settings. Good value for the money.

Minuses: signs of wear on exterior of property that have not been repaired. Complimentary breakfast so-so with too casual a wait staff and silverware, dining ware. Stir sticks offered for coffee, instead of spoons. No mini-bar/snack center or safe in room. Staff unprofessionally dressed. No bell captain/staff in sight.

• Liked — Tuscan villa feel
  • Disliked — Lack of the small details that would make it a 5-star accommodation.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2008

It's like a European escape without all the hassles of a European escape! Amazingly beautiful and serene and absolutely impecable service. The dinner on Saturday night was one of the best meals we've ever had...the dining room is only for hotel guest so it's relaxed...like your personal chef and server. The meal wasn't cheap, but you're on vacation. The only downsides of the hotel are its proximity to the road and that it's not walkable to anything. I hadn't realized it was about 8 miles to town. But those were minor negatives to an overall A++ experience.

• Liked — Dinner
  • Disliked — Proximity to the road.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Castro Valley, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2008

I took my husband (I can say that now) for the spa treatments. We did not stay at the hotel. As everyone notes, the grounds are wonderful. For a Friday afternoon, we literally were the only two people there, although the spa concierge said the place and the spa were booked for Friday-Sunday. After an enjoyable lounging in the sauna and jacuzzi, we each had the massage and men's facial. The deep tissue massage was nice, although I will have to say that it was not a 'relaxing' experience. Lots of elbow digging into the muscles as opposed to deep tissue management. We are both regular massage patrons, so I know a good treatment when I experience one. The masage therapist said she was a 13 year veteran. I think she needs to go back to school for some refresher courses. The facial was basically annoying. Again, instead of a relaxing experience, the esthetician was a bit rough on the exfoliation, and there was so much distracting clanging of equipment, and she even decided to 'wash the tin dishes' in the sink which was right behind my head. How annoying can that be? I get the feeling that she does not work on many men. The extractions she did were actually painful, and there is a particular way of working with a man's facial skin due to the facial hair.
For the amount of money that was spent on this day (over $600 for two), I would rather go to the extremely experienced therapists at Osmosis. I chose Kenwood this time because of the location to where we stayed in Kenwood. Next time I will make the drive to Osmosis.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Kenwood 3 years ago and didn't find one thing wrong with it. It was literally the perfect, romantic place to stay. We booked a room again this year in August for my friend's wedding and I was disappointed that our room looked like it had been poorly maintained. The window in the bathroom had bugs all in it and the tile throughout the shower and bathroom was cracked and dirty looking. Our bed was broken of one side so when you sat on the edge of it, it concaved in. My friend and her husband were also staying there for their wedding night and the honeymoon suite (which should be the best room!) looked dated. I still think the grounds are beautiful but I do think they haven't done a very good job with keeping up the appearance of the rooms. I was so excited to go back after 3 years and was sad when I felt like I spent a lot of money and didn't get what I paid for.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Decline in value since last stayed there
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Kenwood Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!