“Great homemade breakfast” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast
Amerikaner im Schweiz
“Great homemade breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Great service, rapid food preparation, acoustics amenable to having a conversation even with a full house. Staff accommodating and friendly, bathrooms immaculate. All in all a well run family business. The homemade biscuits are first rate. Don't miss this little sleeper.

Visited October 2013

Kentfield, CA
“mid-week breakfast on sunny terrace!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

enjoyed a leisurely breakfast - latte and scone, huevos rancheros and coffee.
Friendly and attentive staff, good quality ingredients, good coffee.
A pleasure

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dayton, MD
“Superior Fare and Great Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

One of the best cafes ever! Breakfast and lunch only. Fantastic service. Ate lunch, then came back later for the breakfast. Party of eight both times. Breakfast- eggs benedict, breakfast panini, wake up scramble, buttermilk pancakes, fruit plate, and rasberry whole wheat pancakes. Lunch- chicken breast, garden burger, hot pastrami, grilled chuck burger, and bay shrimp salad sandwich. Absolutely the finest restaurant in Kentfield! Don't miss it!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Anselmo
“Waitress From Heck”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

When you go to the Half Day Cafe's website, the words following the email address say, “You are very important to us!” We didn’t feel very important to a certain waitress April 3, 2013.

It was my wife’s birthday. She finished work across the street and we decided to have brunch at Half Day. Our waitress was pleasant enough, but obviously a little overworked and distracted at that moment; a little bit in a hurry, and only a half-house that afternoon.

My bride ordered the Margarita Sandwich. I ordered a Caesar Salad as a starter, and a bowl of clam chowder as my main course to be served when my wife received her sandwich. This way we could eat together and my soup wouldn’t get cold. It was a simple, reasonable enough request, and the waitress dashed off for our drinks.

Many minutes later (too long) my salad arrived, and it was delicious. I like the anchovies whole instead of pureed into the dressing. Many more minutes later, with my salad bowl still in front of me and long ago eaten, our ‘main courses’ arrived. Christie’s sandwich was exquisite as usual and, although my chowder was good, it was lukewarm. I could see it sitting on the open-kitchen counter while Christie’s sandwich was being prepared.

After several minutes trying to flag down our waitress (the food was delivered by someone else) we finally made eye contact across the room. She came to our table with a somewhat “What is it?” look on her face. I explained that my soup was served lukewarm, and while trying to get her attention it was even colder now.

She snatched it up from the table, started to walk away, turned and asked me if I had eaten any of it, which I thought was a fairly strange inquiry; of course I had tasted it! How else was I going to know if the soup was cold, put a finger in it? Secondly, what did it matter if I had? Was she going to put it back in the pot?

She should have simply apologized and offered to get me a fresh, hot bowl, and fast while my wife was still eating. The customer’s always right, sometimes even when he/she isn’t; is that not how the restaurant credo goes?

In any event I waited – again – for an interminable amount of time. My wife's sandwich was long gone. Losing patience, I turned my focus to the kitchen to see just exactly what was taking so long to ladle soup into a new, clean bowl. What I observed shocked me. A worker had put an empty soup bowl in an open broiler/oven, and he was continually testing its warmth by touching the inside of the bowl. Not once, not twice; several times.

When the employee deemed the bowl was hot enough (too hot, in fact) he removed the bowl, ladled some soup in and set it in the counter. Moments later our waitress came over with the soup and set it in front of me with a short, “Careful, the bowl’s really hot,” and started to walk away, leaving my wife's empty plate. I quickly asked her if she had a few moments, to which she sort-of stuttered and stammered and said, “Not really, we’re very busy; but what is it?” She said "WHAT IS IT!"

I’d had enough. I went on to tell her she needed to hear what I had to say, whether she had the time or not. I told her how long we'd been sitting (an hour?), what I had observed in the kitchen, and the fact that I had lost my appetite over it. I no longer wanted the soup, and in fact I wanted it removed from my bill.

Indignantly, an without a word, she took my bowl away and back to the kitchen. While other workers cleaned our table, our waitress rattled off the entire story to her manager - a nice enough man it seemed - within earshot of us, words and arms flying. She wasn’t happy.

Moments later she brought our bill to the table and explained that the soup had been removed from it; no apology, no nothing. In fact she gave me the feeling I HAD DONE SOMETHING WRONG!

On the way out I half-expected an apology from the manager, but didn’t get one; in fact he was nowhere to be seen.

If Yelp stars went down to zero, that's what my waitress would get. Half Day Cafe? 1 for bad effort and follow-up.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Oxford, Pennsylvania
“Good food, good service, good place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Enjoyed an excellent meal at this little hidden gem. we were visiting in the area and followed a recommendation. The food was abundant, half a sandwich was taken home.

• Visited April 2013