“This is a great place for fishermen!” 5 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Motel   |   132 Bruce St, June Lake, CA 93529   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in June Lake
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chandler, Arizona
“This is a great place for fishermen!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

We stayed in the two bedroom cabin and it was great. It was clean and very comfortable. The location is close to the lakes and the village. We will be going back next year in June. I just Vikki could have done something to make the wind quit blowing so hard. That would have been the only thing that could have made our stay any better! Many thanks to Vikki and the staff at Gull Lake Lodge!
Mike Woodard
Chandler, Arizona

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

jan and i have been staying at gull lake lodge since 1974, vickie kim and mike are great hosts and our dogs think so also !

• Stayed October 2009
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

My family has been staying at Gull Lake Lodge since Vikki's mom, Peggy, was the owner. What's that now, Vikki?...35 years? We've stayed every season imaginable - through white-outs, wind storms, lightning storms, fires, avalanches...and we felt safe and "at home" no matter what. We had FUN. We had ADVENTURES. When we ran out of ideas or games, Vikki's kids and dogs were ready playmates. Our kids are now grown, but we still find the time to make the trip back to the happiest, safest place in the eastern Sierras.

Pamela Cale, of the San Diego Cale family!

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
so. califronia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

Gull Lake Lodge is our number one vacation place. We love the rustic feel to the place. It is a cozy get-a-way from living in the city the other days of the year. Our family actually counts down the months until we can go on vacation there. It has been a tradition for a few years now. I love the fact that we can go to the lake in just minutes or travel to the surrounding area anytime and the lodge is close to everything we love to do. The owners have always been nice and friendly and the rooms have always been neat and clean. We had the "not so great" pleasure of staying next door to "Always Honest 8" during their one night stay and the only unpleasant memory we have is having to hear their constant "non-called for complaining" all night long pacing in front of our open window. I don't blame the lodge for this, over hearing everything, the lodge did everything to try and make them comfortable. Between you and me, I think they just took a wrong turn somewhere, they were looking for "The Four Season's" or something like it. The Bears aren't the only thing to fear in the wilderness!!!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

We stayed at Gull Lake Lodge for 4 nights. I read "AlwaysHonest8"'s review and it really had me concerned especially since we were traveling with our 10 month old daughter. I brought my cleaning supplies just in case but reminded myself that this was a fishing trip...NOT a be totally pampered princess trip at a 5 star hotel. We go to June Lake Loop to catch fish...the bigger the better! :0

We arrived late after the office was closed and found an envelope with our name, designating room number and room key in it so we were all set to go straight to our room...nice after such a long drive. We thought the hotel room was very much up to par. The photos on the website are pretty much spot on. The bathroom was wonderful! For you what you pay a night you get a nice hotel room with kitchen/dining area/living room/bedroom & bathroom with tub or you can go elsewhere for the same money and just get a hotel room...one room with a bed and bath or you can pay double the money for a cabin.

I really think that the below comments are not truely being fair to Gull Lake Lodge and hope that no one lets those comments decide if they stay there. We had a pleasant trip with good amenities. Short walk to park & Gull Lake...oh...where by the way I caught a 5lb Alper!!

My only suggestion would be for them to invest in new carpet..it was dirty. But with all the travelers and wear the carpet gets it is understandable. The only reason why I noticed it though was because of my crawling daughter....otherwise it wouldn't bother me because I do not crawl on the floor! Spoke to the assistant and she said they were looking in to it.

All in all...a good hotel at a good rate. We will return!

• Liked — Great value & location
  • Disliked — nothing really
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2008

It’s a little difficult to come up with something positive about this place after the experience we had… except maybe the location, being it was not too far of a walking distance to the lakes. The place was mess. I’m not sure where to even start…. It’s very rundown and has old unstable sounding wall heaters and a smoke detector with no battery. It could definitely use some inexpensive things like paint and a new toilet seat. The towels were very stained (bath and Kitchen), carpet filthy, reused shampoo/lotion, dirty and torn furniture, the sheets had a strong perfumy smell covering up a disgusting smell coming from the pillow and mattress, rusty coffee maker and the list goes on… Even small conviences like ac or even a fan, phone, Kleenex and decent reception on the TV were missed. The worst of all was the poor customer service we received when asking if we could get a better room or get a refund to move to a different motel. Cleanliness was important being we had a little baby with us plus I have allergies and asthma. The manager seemed to agree with me when I showed her what I was talking about and asked if I wanted to find another place while she located the owners. She informed me that whenever this has happened in the past they never reimburse but she would try. This made me believe that unhappy guests were a common problem. I tried not to use anything so they wouldn’t have to re-clean. She led me on until it was too late to get anything else so we had to stay the night. Yet she still never did bring us our clean towels or a battery for the smoke detector. The next day after very little sleep and a sneezing runny nosed 8-month-old baby, I told her we were going to checkout. I had informed her that I had never had this bad of a problem before when staying anywhere else, and basically accused me of being a liar, saying that was hard to believe and then changing her story saying they never have any complaints. The pictures and the description look great but it’s nothing like that when you get there. I was told by a business owner around there that a lot of the business are struggling and cutting corners because of the economy. I would never want to take business away from someone. This is acculluy the first negative review like this I’ve ever written. I just thought if I’d read this review before reserving a room than maybe I wouldn’t have gone through this unfortunate experience.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
gulllakelodge, Owner at Gull Lake Lodge, responded to this review, August 22, 2008
Hi, My name is Vikki and my family has owner this hotel for 25 years. 90% of our bussiness is repeat, year after year. We are like family with our customers. Several times a year we have to deal with very frustating customers (such as Ms. Honesty). To start with her husbands family that she hadn't spoken to in 10 years was already in the motel and very content. Her sister in-law warned us before she came that we would have trouble and sure enough it statred before she got out of the car. She did not want to be here and we got the brunt of it. Pure and simple, she moved to another motel and we would only give her a refund for one of her two nights as it was too late for us to clean and re-rent it. I am sorry for you Ms. Honesty's stay turned out and I hope better for her in the future.

Southern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2008

We stayed at Gull Lake Lodge after June Ski Resort had closed for the winter for lack of snow. We wanted to take our elderly, sickly kitty, so we were looking for a pet-friendly place to stay. Gull Lake Lodge was okay, but nothing to write home about, which we have found to be the case for most pet-friendly hotels. We liked that there was a kitchenette, but the place was very underwhelming. It was old and looked like it needed some remodeling work done. The proprieters were very nice and so were the neighbors. Ironically, we left during a snowstorm and other people staying at the hotel offered to help with our chains. If you're looking for something nice, this isn't the place. If you want to bring your pet, then I'd recommend this hotel.

• Liked — It's pet friendly!
  • Disliked — Old and in need of remodeling.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Gull Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!