“functional amenities, upgrades would help” 4 of 5 stars

Whispering Pines Resort
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18 Nevada St, June Lake, CA 93529   |
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in June Lake
Sacramento, California
“functional amenities, upgrades would help”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

i was interested in one of their cabins, but none available, but Lori suggested a hotel room - that includes full sized kitchen, sitting room and large bedroom - very functional for a few night stay. disappointed it was not in June Lake Village "proper", misleading web page (i have stayed in the village before, enjoying being able to walk to coffee in AM). this room does need better lighting in kitchen and in sitting room - only one low watt lamp to read from - needs central lighting in this room. water pressure in shower was horrible

Room Tip: the hotel room (127) with full kitchen is at the very far end - away from the stairs on second floor...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Ventura, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I so wanted to rate this motel with more than 2 stars, but I just couldn't. The people that we dealt with were all so nice and friendly, and the locaction absolutely stunning, but there were just too many other problems. Like I said, the location is spectacular. It is on the far end of June Lake township, so it is secluded and the view of the snow capped mountains is beyond beautiful. However, the rooms are in need of some serious TLC. The hotel is definately not a resort. It reminded me of an old washed up movie star. Once great in it's day, but now gone to seed. The interior, while very clean, was straight out of the 1970's, down to the wallpappered walls and green flowered formica countertop in the kitchen. The carpet had holes in it, and the bed...well...lumpy is a kind word for it. The sheets were so old and threadbare that they wouldn't even stay on the bed. The pillows were flat and I woke the next morning with a pinched nerve in my neck. I thought a hot shower would help. The shower had no pressure whatsoever...It was like showering under a garden hose, and the hot water ran out not within 10 minutes. The heat was either too little or baking hot. The t.v. was small, old and had a horrible picture. On top of that the prices were high for what we could've gotten elsewhere in town. I hope that someday, the owners will invewst the time and money this place needs, but until then, we unfortunately have to saty elsewhere....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Campbell, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We spent three nights in this motel in October for a very reasonable rate. Our room was spacious and clean plus we had a complete kitchen and free internet. No luxury, but worth the price. The view out of our upstairs room was beautiful, especially the morning that it snowed. The location is excellent for seeing the bright fall colors on the June Lake Loop. Also, the room is close to the Parker Lake trail head. Parker Lake is gorgeous any time of year, but especially so in the fall. The trail is about four miles in and out and is not very difficult and certainly worth the effort. Also, Whispering Pines is not that far from the always interesting Mono Lake. We love to visit the South Tufa at sunset. Spectacular!
Although we have visited this area many times, this was our first stay at the Whispering Pines. We will definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: We think the upstairs rooms are the quietest and have the best views.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

we were there while doing a long trip all over california and nevada. the place is great, very comfterbale, we were in a unit with two bedrooms so there were enough space. there is a fuul equiped kitchen and laundry machine, well basicly everything. the owner is a great guy and the girl from the reservations too. if you are stying there for the june lake area its very good, but for yosemity its far, its two and a half hours from there to the valley. but i really recomend this place is you dont have a closest option.

Room Tip: if you are a family take the vila, its very comftarble
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed for one night on our trip from Yosemite to Las Vegas. Had paid for a cottage and I have never chosen such a terrible place to stay in the US.
The 'cottage' was directly behind the motel and the back of the 'cottage' was a concrete ditch. I have no idea what the strong smell was inside! It was dirty and worn long past re-decoration. Air con units had been replaced and the bedroom door would not close as the unit in there was too close to the door. The one in the living area had been botched.
The blinds did not close properly some too small for the windows, no nets or other curtains.
It was attached to another cottage when one person arrived next door it was as though they were in the same room.
I went to reception and told them I was not prepered to stay in the accomodation. All the receptionist would say is I only work here and gave me a card with a name on to 'ring her' By this time I was very annoyed and told him to 'ring her' for me.
The result was we were offered an A frame cottage. From the outside it looked much better than the smaller cottage but when we got inside there was the same smell but not as strong, very worn, poorly built, not all the lights worked, most importantly the one on the dark stairs. If you are over about 5' 7" you would not be able to use the shower due to the A frame slope.
A nasty message saying you will be charged $35 dollars if you leave any dirty pots was the icing on the cake!
It was such a shame - it is set in a nice woodland area (no sign of Lake June though) - it could be a gold mine - but not in this state.

Room Tip: Stay somwhere else
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed at Whispering Pines for one night on our way from Las Vegas to Yosemite. It was ideally situated, just a short drive from the entrance to the park. The natural scenery around June Lakes and the hotel was stunning itself too. We arrived quite late at night, and the receptionist was friendly and efficient at checking us in, no problems with the late hour. The room was spacious, with a separate kitchenette. It also had a tv and free wireless which was a great plus. It was clean, although a bit worn in places (something that doesn't bother me at all, although it might some people). I'm not sure that it had air conditioning, it wasn't apparent, but we were too tired to care much. The only thing I have to complain about was that one of the pillows on my king size bed smelt truly terrible. I had to put it on the floor it smelt so bad. There were other pillows though luckily. I didn't investigate in the morning because quite frankly I didn't want to know. Check out in the morning was easy and quick, and Gustavo at the front desk was friendly and helpful, and suggested a fantastic place for breakfast just down the road which we loved. We didn't have time to explore June lakes much, but the town looked quaint and like it would have been a great place to stay. Whispering Pines was basically just off the main road, which was fantastic as it was so easy to find. For those worried about road noise, there was complete silence through the night - whispering pines was all you could hear. The view from our window included beautiful pines, mountains, and even a small waterfall. I believe the hotel also offered a hot tub and perhaps a pool, but I can't quite remember. All in all, it was basic accomodation for a good price. It wasn't luxury, but it was comfortable, and if not for the scary pillow and the heat, it would have been perfect.

• Stayed September 2012
Rifle, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We were on vacation- going to Yosemite. We arrived here late after getting lost. There was no air conditioner or fan. I took a shower and ran out of hot water while rinsing the shampoo from my hair. There was a sticky and stained bathroom floor and the sheets on the beds were stained and had holes. I guess the rates were low here but that doesn't mean that you have to get a badly maintained room. I would definately go somewhere else to sleep if I had the choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Whispering Pines Resort? Share your experiences!