“much needed getaway!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Butterfield Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Julian
Butterfield Bed and Breakfast
2284 Sunset Dr, P.O. Box 1115, Julian, CA 92036   |
Ranked #3 of 15 Julian B&B and Inns
Santee, California, United States
“much needed getaway!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

After searching the internet for a B&B for a quick getaway with my husband, we chose the Butterfield. We are so glad we did. It exceeded our expectations. It is a darling place tucked away a short distance from town. We felt instantly welcomed, as Ed greeted us as he was shoveling snow outside upon our arrival. It was super cold outside and loved the warm cozy main home area instantly. We felt like we were at home. They have an enormous variety of books and literature, movies on dvd and vhs, games, music, and so much more to occupy your interests. We had originally planned to go out to dinner in town, but opted to get take out and enjoy a relaxing evening by the fire. Our room had a wonderful featherbed and was so cozy and warm. As if our visit wasn't perfect enough, Dawn's breakfast was spectacular. Both the food and presentation was wonderful. We were treated as special special guests. Lovely people!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

100 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Buena Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My husband and I went to the Butterfield Bed & Breakfast for our two year anniversary. We stayed in the Rosebud Cottage which was absolutely beautiful! It was decorated for Christmas which made it even more cozy. The innkeepers, Ed and Dawn were so hospitable and made delicious breakfasts each morning and were so accommodating to special food preferences. We definitely want to come back here again!

Valletta, Malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I wanted a get-away for New Year's Eve and our anniversary. I like the mountains and have always favored Julian over the better-known communities in Riverside and San Bernadino mountains.
I shopped around on-line and found Butterfield, which sounded like what we wanted. The Rosebud Cottage offered comfortable room for lounging and watching the rose parade, football, etc. And just enough country decor to make it romantic, too. It is about 1 mile from the 4 way stop in downtown. So...close enough to get there quick, but away from the crowds, and far enough out to be in the trees and get that "mountain" feel. Lastly, the price was reasonable for that type of lodging.
I called first, and Ed was helpful and gave more details about their style of service, etc.
We made sure to be there before dark, which I recommend. The streets are wide and easy to drive the /13 mile off the highway, but daylight still helps. The "neighborhood" is a typical mountain area--curvy roads and houses above and below. But the streets were wide, so it was easy. I just think darkness would have made it difficult. These type areas aren't noted for bright street lights, right? I did miss the driveway on my first attempt, but there is a turn-around just past it, so no-problem.
Ed and Dawn greeted us and showed us the "main house". There was a guest playing the piano, and his friend listening. The fireplace was going, and it was all country cozy and warm. Hot drinks of various varieties available, plus brownies! A whole library of videos, DVDs, CDs and books available to peruse, or take back to your room. Our room had a refrigerator for our champagne, but there was one available for the other guests use. Also, apples and oranges available.
The Rosebud cottage was all we wanted. Lots of room. Definitely a "mountain cabin" feel, yet with a "cottage romantic" feel to it. Very comfortable and matched the description given. Except maybe not as "fancy" or "luxurious" as the pictures had looked. That would be the only reason I don't give it 5 stars. Some would equate 5 stars with luxury. This is comfort, lots of comfort, but not "high-class elegance". The bed was very comfortable, the bath/dressing area convenient. We didn't use the private patio, but it would be nice for summer. Nicer if it had a hot-tub, though! Oh!--It even had a small Christmas tree all lit up! I loved that touch!
The only other thing to cover is breakfast. Yumm! There were 5 couples, and we all sat around one big table. There is one seating time, and Ed and Dawn serve--no buffet. And I liked it that way. The food was good, plenty, and beautifully presented. Cooking is my passion, and breakfast my favorite meal--and I could find no fault in their breakfast! It was good and pretty. It took a few minutes for the guests to warm to each other, but pretty soon we were all exchanging stories about our NYE dinner experience.
Which, BTW--Ed and Dawn helped by sending out an email with several suggestions about things going on in Julian. They are very knowledgeable about the town, the restaurants, the special events, etc. They made the conversation interesting, yet allowed the guests to carry it and enjoy one another. Very hospitable people.
I recommend this B&B to anyone who enjoys the mountain small communities. Unfortunately, Julian has become so popular, the crowds stole much of the pleasure of the town. I recommend trying to find an "off" weekend or weekday as opposed to a holiday. But definitly trh the Butterfield!

San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

With all the hustle and bustle in our every day lives everyone needs a break.A friend of mine recommended not only the Butterfield B & B....but went one step further to say they had stayed at the "rosebud" cottage and they loved it. WELL....my friend was right and Ed and Dawn (the owners) were top notch. Everything was perfect, the room was fantastic with a wonderful wood burning stove. Julian is a great place to get away. We are here for a good time not a long time!!!

Room Tip: Every room would be an equally excelent choice.
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

This was a fantastic overnight stay in Julian. Butterfield was absolutely perfect for us in every way. The bed was wonderful and room had everything we needed and then some. We had a large room with a sitting area and fireplace. It was very quiet. Ed and Dawn were extraordinary hosts...very accommodating, helpful and personable. Splendid poached pear with caramel sauce, frittata and sausage breakfast! Thank you Ed and Dawn. Regards, Jay and Sheri Davis

Room Tip: We stayed in the Italia Stanza
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

My fiancée took me to Butterfield B&B as a present for my birthday. Best prezzie ever! We stayed in the Apple Sweet room which was very charming: simple and homey.

The breakfasts were made by our hosts Dawn and Ed were tasty and attractively presented. Personable folks they are - during brekkers they answered questions about the B&B and talked about the history of Julian.

The grounds are lovingly cared for by Ed himself, and the common areas and our room were in excellent condition.

I only wish our stay could have been like the movie Groundhog Day: the same day over and over :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
vritts@stlcc.edu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

We recently spent two nights at the Butterfield and we could have stayed longer. The room was charming, the hosts engaging and knowledgable, and the breakfasts were fabulous. A return trip is a must!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Butterfield Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!