“Exactly what I hoped for!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Butterfield Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Julian
Butterfield Bed and Breakfast
You added Butterfield Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
2284 Sunset Dr, P.O. Box 1115, Julian, CA 92036   |
Ranked #4 of 15 Julian B&B and Inns
Valletta, Malta
“Exactly what I hoped for!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I wanted a get-away for New Year's Eve and our anniversary. I like the mountains and have always favored Julian over the better-known communities in Riverside and San Bernadino mountains.
I shopped around on-line and found Butterfield, which sounded like what we wanted. The Rosebud Cottage offered comfortable room for lounging and watching the rose parade, football, etc. And just enough country decor to make it romantic, too. It is about 1 mile from the 4 way stop in downtown. So...close enough to get there quick, but away from the crowds, and far enough out to be in the trees and get that "mountain" feel. Lastly, the price was reasonable for that type of lodging.
I called first, and Ed was helpful and gave more details about their style of service, etc.
We made sure to be there before dark, which I recommend. The streets are wide and easy to drive the /13 mile off the highway, but daylight still helps. The "neighborhood" is a typical mountain area--curvy roads and houses above and below. But the streets were wide, so it was easy. I just think darkness would have made it difficult. These type areas aren't noted for bright street lights, right? I did miss the driveway on my first attempt, but there is a turn-around just past it, so no-problem.
Ed and Dawn greeted us and showed us the "main house". There was a guest playing the piano, and his friend listening. The fireplace was going, and it was all country cozy and warm. Hot drinks of various varieties available, plus brownies! A whole library of videos, DVDs, CDs and books available to peruse, or take back to your room. Our room had a refrigerator for our champagne, but there was one available for the other guests use. Also, apples and oranges available.
The Rosebud cottage was all we wanted. Lots of room. Definitely a "mountain cabin" feel, yet with a "cottage romantic" feel to it. Very comfortable and matched the description given. Except maybe not as "fancy" or "luxurious" as the pictures had looked. That would be the only reason I don't give it 5 stars. Some would equate 5 stars with luxury. This is comfort, lots of comfort, but not "high-class elegance". The bed was very comfortable, the bath/dressing area convenient. We didn't use the private patio, but it would be nice for summer. Nicer if it had a hot-tub, though! Oh!--It even had a small Christmas tree all lit up! I loved that touch!
The only other thing to cover is breakfast. Yumm! There were 5 couples, and we all sat around one big table. There is one seating time, and Ed and Dawn serve--no buffet. And I liked it that way. The food was good, plenty, and beautifully presented. Cooking is my passion, and breakfast my favorite meal--and I could find no fault in their breakfast! It was good and pretty. It took a few minutes for the guests to warm to each other, but pretty soon we were all exchanging stories about our NYE dinner experience.
Which, BTW--Ed and Dawn helped by sending out an email with several suggestions about things going on in Julian. They are very knowledgeable about the town, the restaurants, the special events, etc. They made the conversation interesting, yet allowed the guests to carry it and enjoy one another. Very hospitable people.
I recommend this B&B to anyone who enjoys the mountain small communities. Unfortunately, Julian has become so popular, the crowds stole much of the pleasure of the town. I recommend trying to find an "off" weekend or weekday as opposed to a holiday. But definitly trh the Butterfield!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

With all the hustle and bustle in our every day lives everyone needs a break.A friend of mine recommended not only the Butterfield B & B....but went one step further to say they had stayed at the "rosebud" cottage and they loved it. WELL....my friend was right and Ed and Dawn (the owners) were top notch. Everything was perfect, the room was fantastic with a wonderful wood burning stove. Julian is a great place to get away. We are here for a good time not a long time!!!

Room Tip: Every room would be an equally excelent choice.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

This was a fantastic overnight stay in Julian. Butterfield was absolutely perfect for us in every way. The bed was wonderful and room had everything we needed and then some. We had a large room with a sitting area and fireplace. It was very quiet. Ed and Dawn were extraordinary hosts...very accommodating, helpful and personable. Splendid poached pear with caramel sauce, frittata and sausage breakfast! Thank you Ed and Dawn. Regards, Jay and Sheri Davis

Room Tip: We stayed in the Italia Stanza
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

My fiancée took me to Butterfield B&B as a present for my birthday. Best prezzie ever! We stayed in the Apple Sweet room which was very charming: simple and homey.

The breakfasts were made by our hosts Dawn and Ed were tasty and attractively presented. Personable folks they are - during brekkers they answered questions about the B&B and talked about the history of Julian.

The grounds are lovingly cared for by Ed himself, and the common areas and our room were in excellent condition.

I only wish our stay could have been like the movie Groundhog Day: the same day over and over :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
vritts@stlcc.edu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

We recently spent two nights at the Butterfield and we could have stayed longer. The room was charming, the hosts engaging and knowledgable, and the breakfasts were fabulous. A return trip is a must!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

My husband and I planned a trip to Julian in January 2012. We needed to get out of the city for some relaxation and tranquility. We hardly ever get to escape our busy schedules unless we plan months in advance.This can be difficult to do when college is in session. So, we decided to plan a simple and short trip to Julian. It is only 45 minutes from our home in San Diego. However, we hadn't ever taken a weekend trip to Julian. I wish we had taken the short trip a lot sooner. We had an amazing time at the Butterfield Bed and Breakfast! We had such a great time that we are planning to go back during Spring Break from classes. We loved staying at this charming inn. We did a lot of research before booking at the Buttterfield. We are so glad that we trusted the other great trip advisor reviews about this charming inn. Dawn and Ed are kind, considerate, and just plain sweet! They treated us just like family! They were so kind when we changed our booking dates due to a family emergency. We cannot thank them enough for their flexibility. Dawn and Ed truly are real people, not just some hotel staff that only cares about fully booked rooms.Due to their kindness, they have gained guests for life! We cannot say enough about the breakfast! It was so amazing! We had a baked apple to start with. It was divine! My husband doesn't usually like cinnamon but he inhaled the cinnamon and brown sugar topped apple in a matter of seconds! We also had a turkey sausage frittata that was so delicious! We were so happy about the turkey sausage breakfast because my husband and I do not eat pork. Dawn and Ed made certain to accommodate breakfast according to our individual needs. Breakfast was so good that we had a hard time getting excited about the Julian apple pie! We were just so satisfied. Dawn should be a chef! Everything tasted so fresh! The apples were the best I have ever had. Oh and the coffee and creamer was just perfect. I am a Starbucks fanatic! However, if I had this coffee and cream every morning, I could let Starbucks go. Seriously! The creamer tasted like it had just been taken from a cow on a farm. It was just so fresh! And the coffee was perfectly brewed and tasted so nutty and rich. The creamer was so good that Dawn had to keep refilling it! All of the guests were obsessed with the creamer! Okay, I have ranted enough about the breakfast.The room we stayed in was also wonderful. We chose the Feather Nest because we were only staying one night. When we return for a longer trip we will definitely get a larger room. Not that the Feather Nest wasn't great but we just fell in love with the little cottages that they have there. So, we want to stay in one of the cottages during our next trip. The Feather Nest is charming, cozy, and truly country. We definitely felt away from all the hustle and bustle of our hectic lives. When I woke up, I spotted a couple of beautiful birds bathing in the fountain just outside our window. It was so peaceful staying there. We just have to go back! There are wonderful trails around the property but we didn't have time to explore too much but if you go you should definitely stroll around outside your room. The morning time is just so serene at the Butterfield and in Julian in general. Lastly, if you are staying for a while at the Butterfield, you really should sit down and enjoy their parlor. It is just adorable! It is just so very country and unique! The fire was always lit and the ambiance was always serene. It is a perfect place to sit down in and read a book while enjoying the fire. We can't wait to go back to the Butterfield! Don't hesitate to book this county charmer! You won't regret it!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Oceanside, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

My husband whisked me away to the charming town of Julian, Ca, and treated me to a stay in this wonderful Bed and Breakfast. We stayed in the cozy RoseBud cottage on a snowy night. We made good use of the wood burning stove and firewood which they provided. The owners recommended an excellent place for dinner, Julian Grille. This morning we had the best breakfast ever before leaving and heading home. It was a perfect Valentine present, and we plan on frequenting this charming inn many times in the future. The owners, Ed and Dawn, were so hospitable and friendly. We definitely enjoyed a 5 star experience!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Butterfield Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!