“Could Not Have Picked a Better Place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Butterfield Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Julian
Butterfield Bed and Breakfast
2284 Sunset Dr, P.O. Box 1115, Julian, CA 92036   |
Ranked #3 of 15 Julian B&B and Inns
vritts@stlcc.edu
“Could Not Have Picked a Better Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

We recently spent two nights at the Butterfield and we could have stayed longer. The room was charming, the hosts engaging and knowledgable, and the breakfasts were fabulous. A return trip is a must!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

100 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

My husband and I planned a trip to Julian in January 2012. We needed to get out of the city for some relaxation and tranquility. We hardly ever get to escape our busy schedules unless we plan months in advance.This can be difficult to do when college is in session. So, we decided to plan a simple and short trip to Julian. It is only 45 minutes from our home in San Diego. However, we hadn't ever taken a weekend trip to Julian. I wish we had taken the short trip a lot sooner. We had an amazing time at the Butterfield Bed and Breakfast! We had such a great time that we are planning to go back during Spring Break from classes. We loved staying at this charming inn. We did a lot of research before booking at the Buttterfield. We are so glad that we trusted the other great trip advisor reviews about this charming inn. Dawn and Ed are kind, considerate, and just plain sweet! They treated us just like family! They were so kind when we changed our booking dates due to a family emergency. We cannot thank them enough for their flexibility. Dawn and Ed truly are real people, not just some hotel staff that only cares about fully booked rooms.Due to their kindness, they have gained guests for life! We cannot say enough about the breakfast! It was so amazing! We had a baked apple to start with. It was divine! My husband doesn't usually like cinnamon but he inhaled the cinnamon and brown sugar topped apple in a matter of seconds! We also had a turkey sausage frittata that was so delicious! We were so happy about the turkey sausage breakfast because my husband and I do not eat pork. Dawn and Ed made certain to accommodate breakfast according to our individual needs. Breakfast was so good that we had a hard time getting excited about the Julian apple pie! We were just so satisfied. Dawn should be a chef! Everything tasted so fresh! The apples were the best I have ever had. Oh and the coffee and creamer was just perfect. I am a Starbucks fanatic! However, if I had this coffee and cream every morning, I could let Starbucks go. Seriously! The creamer tasted like it had just been taken from a cow on a farm. It was just so fresh! And the coffee was perfectly brewed and tasted so nutty and rich. The creamer was so good that Dawn had to keep refilling it! All of the guests were obsessed with the creamer! Okay, I have ranted enough about the breakfast.The room we stayed in was also wonderful. We chose the Feather Nest because we were only staying one night. When we return for a longer trip we will definitely get a larger room. Not that the Feather Nest wasn't great but we just fell in love with the little cottages that they have there. So, we want to stay in one of the cottages during our next trip. The Feather Nest is charming, cozy, and truly country. We definitely felt away from all the hustle and bustle of our hectic lives. When I woke up, I spotted a couple of beautiful birds bathing in the fountain just outside our window. It was so peaceful staying there. We just have to go back! There are wonderful trails around the property but we didn't have time to explore too much but if you go you should definitely stroll around outside your room. The morning time is just so serene at the Butterfield and in Julian in general. Lastly, if you are staying for a while at the Butterfield, you really should sit down and enjoy their parlor. It is just adorable! It is just so very country and unique! The fire was always lit and the ambiance was always serene. It is a perfect place to sit down in and read a book while enjoying the fire. We can't wait to go back to the Butterfield! Don't hesitate to book this county charmer! You won't regret it!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Oceanside, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

My husband whisked me away to the charming town of Julian, Ca, and treated me to a stay in this wonderful Bed and Breakfast. We stayed in the cozy RoseBud cottage on a snowy night. We made good use of the wood burning stove and firewood which they provided. The owners recommended an excellent place for dinner, Julian Grille. This morning we had the best breakfast ever before leaving and heading home. It was a perfect Valentine present, and we plan on frequenting this charming inn many times in the future. The owners, Ed and Dawn, were so hospitable and friendly. We definitely enjoyed a 5 star experience!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Orange County, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

Spent a night in the Stanza Italia room at Butterfield Bed and Breakfast on February 10, 2012. Dawn and Ed accommodated us with our last-minute reservations and made us feel very welcome. They made sure that we had the right directions for arrival and showed us around as soon as we arrived. There are plenty of special little attractions for guests: an old upright piano with easy-read oldies music, a good quality guitar, table games and playing cards, information about local attractions, and several hundred DVDs and VHS movies. The guests' kitchen has popcorn and plenty of tea and coffee. Homemade cookies are set out. The breakfast was sit-down-with-everybody all together, and the food was delicious. Dawn and Ed are friendly without being in the least intrusive. Definitely a place to return to.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Let me start by saying this weekend was a surprise planned by my (now fiance) for our two year anniversary. He had done his research and discovered this gem of a place just a mile from downtown Julian. Wow did he ever get it right! He chose the cozy Feathernest room which was absolutely perfect. Little did I know but he also had some other things planned for the weekend, and proposed to me Saturday afternoon on our hike to the Three Sisters falls. The other guests even joined us for a toast that evening before we all set out for dinner, very cool. :)

Dawn and Ed, the owners, are absolutely amazing. They go above and beyond what is expected and required to run a successful B&B. They are knowledgeable of the area and are just plain fun to talk with. And the food is amazing - Dawn even gets notes on food issues for every guest so that she can make accommodations in the cooking as needed. I only wish we had longer than a weekend to stay to enjoy all that this wonderful place has to offer. Every room has it's own unique charm and every guest there is this weekend said they will definitely plan to return. I can't wait until we can make another visit, although I'm not sure anything can outdo getting engaged! :)

There is so much to do around Julian, just hiking alone could keep you entertained for days and days. Ed and Dawn are more than happy to give advice on things to do, places to eat and what not, or you can always use one of the many resources they have available.

You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I came up for some relaxing time away from home. Dawn and Ed thought of everything you might need such as umbrellas, snacks and beverages and a huge library of videos and books in the common area including lots of books and information about the area. They were very warm and welcoming and full of great tips for enjoying my stay. I especially enjoyed the live music at the Pizza Express. I stayed in both the Rose Bud Cottage and Apple Sweet. The beds in both rooms were very comfortable, especially good for my bad back. They both were well appointed with comfy couches to snuggle up in, WiFi and cable, coffee and tea in the room and everything was very clean and cozy. Breakfast was delicious and conversation was enjoyable with the other guests. I am looking forward to returning with my husband next time!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

My husband and I just spent a lovely couple of nights at Dawn and Ed's B&B. If space was available we'd have booked another night. It was great being at 4,000 ft. elevation so there was the feel of winter in the air, with a warm fireplace glowing when we got up in the morning and at the end of the day. This is a lovely place to stay and visit, convenient to the Anza Borrego Desert area and nearby parks for hiking, etc. The town of Julian is charming, definitely touristy, but a welcome town to visit with a great intimate art gallery and some very good restaurants. Julian is more like visiting the Sierra foothills, than being in southern California and less than an hour's drive from San Diego. It's also apple orchard country, so fresh apply pies in abundance!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Butterfield Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!