“A great place to stay with your pets!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mc Gilvray House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Julian
Mc Gilvray House
2605 C Street Julian, CA, Julian, CA 92036   |
Ranked #5 of 5 hotels in Julian
Orange, CA
“A great place to stay with your pets!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2007

The McGilvray House, named for the owners, is a nice little red house situated at the top of a hill in the Downtown Julian area. The house was very nice. Our caretaker, Richard, was a very caring and friendly gentleman who did his best to accommodate my family. He helped me find phone numbers for local tours and told us not to hesitate if we needed sheets or anything extra.

Luckily, we didn't. Everything we could possibly need was available to us except firewood, which we bought. The fireplace was a great source of both heat and ambiance. The freezer came stocked with ice and the kitchen had all the basics utensils you'd expect to find at home.

And now for the teeny-tiny bad parts.

The bathroom had spiderwebs on the bottom of the sink and when I drew the curtains, I found a medium-sized black pincher bug hiding in between the curtains. Perhaps the maid had a bad day. Who knows. "Nevertheless", I rationalized, "this is a pet friendly place, and you can't expect first class accommodations with this amount of paw traffic."

For the price, (weekday rates in the neighborhood of 100 a night) my family and I were greatly pleased with our room. We never had to turn on our TV with all the wonderful things we were doing in this lovely town. The walk to downtown is two minutes long (downhill) and the neighborhood is peaceful, quiet, and friendly. All the restaurants and shops were easily within walking distance unless traveling with unhealthy elderlies.

If I traveled without pets, I would rather stay at one of the many gorgeous B&Bs in town, but if I had my dog, there's no other place I'd even consider. This is it for pet lovers.

• Liked — The price!
  • Disliked — The lumpy bed!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

1 person has reviewed this hotel

Been to Mc Gilvray House? Share your experiences!