“Don't Eat Here!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Pine Hills Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Julian
Pine Hills Lodge
You added Pine Hills Lodge to your Saves list
2960 La Posada Way, Julian, CA 92036   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Julian
San Diego, California
“Don't Eat Here!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving dinner was abysmal. I cannot comment on the cabins,
but if they are anything like the food, avoid this place!! It is obvious
that all the owners really care about is making money. They are
unfriendly, and treat the customers like cattle.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I am a professional musician and was hired to come up the Pine Hills Lodge to do a wedding the other day. This place just reeks charm. Hannah and her husband Terry were terrific hosts. I was given a bungalow that was excellent - clean, cute, charming, nicely remodeled. The bar is excellent and Craig, the bartender was just marvelous. Sunday brunch is said to be terrific although there is not a full time restaurant. Regardless, this is a top drawer recommendation. I love this place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

The location is just beautifu! However, I would rather stay a card board box than deal with the husband and wife that own, and operate this place!! As soon as we got there it was a disaster!! The couple was rude, careless and made us feel as if we were imposing on their time. Complete waste of money and we will NEVER visit Pine Hills Lodge again!!!

• Stayed August 2012
Sedona, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

We stayed three nights. No TV's or telephones? This is why we stayed here. Doesn't everyone have a cell phone these days? Can't we live without TV? We walked, read and enjoyed the quiet. My husband painted watercolors. We birdwatched. Saw Band-tailed pigeons, ash-throated flycatchers, phainopeplas, black-headed grosbeaks, Wilson's warblers, mountain chickadees,
Steller's jays, acorn woodpeckers and more. There is an enormous pine tree serving as a storage cupboard for the acorn woodpeckers. There are thousands of acorns stuffed into holes in the tree!!! The sunsets were spectacular. Slept like babes. Will definitely return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

We went for an amazing weekend, and upgraded to one of the nicest cabins they have. It was charming, and this is an early 1900s property so we did not expect a modern hotel. The rooms lacked TV or phones, which was a great addition since we went to the mountains to "get away." The hotel has a nice bar, and is a few miles from eating establishments and art galleries. It was very nice.

The one concern was that the temperatures dropped below 30 degrees. The cabin is not insulated. There were winds and they blew out the pilot light. We had no heat, ended up sleeping in the car. The next morning we told the lady at check out and she said that we should have called them. One, we had no idea how to get ahold of anyone. The lobby closses early in the evening and there is no posted contact information. And two we spent nearly $280 a night to sleep in our car. I would have to think long and hard about the time of year I was going, but I would go again if I couldn't find something cheaper.

Room Tip: I read the trips on tripadvisor after i booked my room, and as a result I checked in early and broug...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Glendora, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We were there to celebrate a birthday. I looked online before we went and thought what a nice looking place...Boy, do they misrepresent there establishment. Rooms were dumpy and very very outdated! No Tv's in the room. Very expensive for what you got. I like rustic, but c'mon this what downright a campground. My travel trailer is nicer then this place. The "owner" was rude to a gentlemen in our party! I think its time for the owner to go check out his rooms, maybe even stay in one. We will never return...ever,ever ever. The drinks in the bar were also way overpriced. We would have spent more money in there...but who could afford it. Like they say " Don't ever beleive what they say on the internet!!!!!

Room Tip: No rooms that I know where good.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
rhode island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

Was here at the start of 10 days in California, in March. It's a pretty nice lodge, but the price was the highest I paid in the entire state, and the room the worst.
Much in need of a paint job and a thorough cleaning, I stayed in the room pictured on the tripadvisor page. I was shocked to find that there was not even a chair in the room, not any luggage rack, and only one hanger in the closet. The walls were paper thin, so that I could hear the neighbors snoring, and then they woke up early and were chatting away... got very little sleep. If I weren't alone, they'd have got none either, as my bed banged against the wall with every tiny movement I made.
The staff was distant, and DISTANT... in that most of the time, even though it was a weekend, there was noone around!
To top it off, I was there with a group. We got no group discount on rooms, and the price on our group contract changed (upwards) after the management had already quoted a price! They denied their earlier emailed prices!!!
I would never go back and never recommend this lodge. I stayed in much nicer place in LA, Morro Bay, Monteray and Santa Cruz. for 80% or less of the cost I paid for this seedy room.

Room Tip: ask if there is a chair or a luggage rack, or even a hanger....
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Julian
Ayres Lodge Alpine
Riviera Oaks Resorts
Riviera Oaks Resorts
#1 of 3 in Ramona
4.0 of 5 stars 71 reviews

Been to Pine Hills Lodge? Share your experiences!