“Beautiful, very pricey, freezing cold” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pine Hills Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Julian
Pine Hills Lodge
2960 La Posada Way, Julian, CA 92036   |
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Julian
“Beautiful, very pricey, freezing cold”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

We went for an amazing weekend, and upgraded to one of the nicest cabins they have. It was charming, and this is an early 1900s property so we did not expect a modern hotel. The rooms lacked TV or phones, which was a great addition since we went to the mountains to "get away." The hotel has a nice bar, and is a few miles from eating establishments and art galleries. It was very nice.

The one concern was that the temperatures dropped below 30 degrees. The cabin is not insulated. There were winds and they blew out the pilot light. We had no heat, ended up sleeping in the car. The next morning we told the lady at check out and she said that we should have called them. One, we had no idea how to get ahold of anyone. The lobby closses early in the evening and there is no posted contact information. And two we spent nearly $280 a night to sleep in our car. I would have to think long and hard about the time of year I was going, but I would go again if I couldn't find something cheaper.

Room Tip: I read the trips on tripadvisor after i booked my room, and as a result I checked in early and broug...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Glendora, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We were there to celebrate a birthday. I looked online before we went and thought what a nice looking place...Boy, do they misrepresent there establishment. Rooms were dumpy and very very outdated! No Tv's in the room. Very expensive for what you got. I like rustic, but c'mon this what downright a campground. My travel trailer is nicer then this place. The "owner" was rude to a gentlemen in our party! I think its time for the owner to go check out his rooms, maybe even stay in one. We will never return...ever,ever ever. The drinks in the bar were also way overpriced. We would have spent more money in there...but who could afford it. Like they say " Don't ever beleive what they say on the internet!!!!!

Room Tip: No rooms that I know where good.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
rhode island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

Was here at the start of 10 days in California, in March. It's a pretty nice lodge, but the price was the highest I paid in the entire state, and the room the worst.
Much in need of a paint job and a thorough cleaning, I stayed in the room pictured on the tripadvisor page. I was shocked to find that there was not even a chair in the room, not any luggage rack, and only one hanger in the closet. The walls were paper thin, so that I could hear the neighbors snoring, and then they woke up early and were chatting away... got very little sleep. If I weren't alone, they'd have got none either, as my bed banged against the wall with every tiny movement I made.
The staff was distant, and DISTANT... in that most of the time, even though it was a weekend, there was noone around!
To top it off, I was there with a group. We got no group discount on rooms, and the price on our group contract changed (upwards) after the management had already quoted a price! They denied their earlier emailed prices!!!
I would never go back and never recommend this lodge. I stayed in much nicer place in LA, Morro Bay, Monteray and Santa Cruz. for 80% or less of the cost I paid for this seedy room.

Room Tip: ask if there is a chair or a luggage rack, or even a hanger....
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

My daughter and (now) son-in-law recently made a perfect choice of the Pine Hills Lodge for their June wedding. Guests booked all rooms at the lodge. The younger crowd stayed at the more rustic Pine Hills Lodge and excellent suggestions were made for local bed & breakfast establishments where the overflow (and older) guests stayed. Everything about the Pine Hills Lodge experience was lovely! Hanna, the owner is an absolute gem!
We has access to The Pub the entire weekend, which was a fantastic gathering place for out of town guests. The outdoor wedding setting was gorgeous with fresh flowers in bloom and the banquet hall was set up beautifully.

Room Tip: rooms are rustic
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

Hannah and Terry run the Pine Hills Lodge and we can highly recommend it for a wedding or really any type large family event. They can accomodate about 40 people on the property and there are other accomodations nearby in Julian (EagleNest BNB is a great place to stay too). We were the groom's parents so we had a catered rehearsal dinner (The Round Up BBQ Grill, 26439 Hwy 76 Santa Ysabel, CA 92070, (760) 782-2729). Pine Hills supplied the house wine (Sycamore Lane-- very nice for a very reasonable price), and full bar service is available. Most of the bride and groom's families were accomodated on-site. Greg- the PHL bartender was a great host as well. He is multi-talented... he kept the bar open as long as the law would allow, and then was up early in the morning Sunday to cook breakfast. Very nice brunch. Pine Hills is a 1910 era lodge, so my best description of the cabin rooms wouold be "rustic". Very clean, well cared for, but if you are looking for flat screen TVs (or TVs at all), this isn't your place. But it was a wonderful weekend where we could really focus on visiting with family and friends. Hannah and Terry were great hosts and bartender Greg gets four stars!

Room Tip: Northstar is the honeymoon cottage
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

The Pine Hills Lodge is a rustic and wonderful mountain retreat. We've been working with Hanna, the owner, for almost a year getting everything ready, and she was very accommodating and easy to work with. And our dinner was delicious.

We stayed in the North Star cabin - their honeymoon suite. Our wedding party rented out the rest of the lodge. It was a delightful getaway and exactly what we wanted.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

We arrived for a wedding in the beautiful, rustic setting. While we were not expecting a luxurious experience, we also were not expecting filth. There were rings in all of the toilets - who knows the last time they were cleaned. Did I mention that the bathrooms in the lodge are communal? Further, they did not even provide shampoo. Our bedroom had not been vacuumed. There was nothing but a sheer curtain for a room facing east. Needless to say, we were up by 6 am. While there was a thermostat in the room, there was only a thin quilt and no extra blankets. The place was extremely understaffed, and as a result the service was straight up surly and rude. All of these things might have been acceptable if we hadn't been paying $100/night.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Pine Hills Lodge? Share your experiences!