“Sanctuary at Angels Landing!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Angels Landing Country Inn and Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Julian
Angels Landing Country Inn and Resort
You added Angels Landing Country Inn and Resort to your Saves list
2323 Farmer Road, PO Box 1026, Julian, CA 92036   |
Ranked #12 of 15 Julian B&B and Inns
San Diego
“Sanctuary at Angels Landing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2007

I was saddened to read some of the negative reviews I saw posted regarding this wonderful property in Julian. Angels Landing is a lovely country inn with a personal touch (you actually converse and interact with the owners) I am saddened by the misrepresentation (well water contains high levels of minerals and is yellowish in color, which would cause discoloration - this is NOT dirty water). To be fair, I've stayed at the Inn over 20 times and always had a pleasant experience.

I personally have been booking Scrapbook Retreats at Angels Landing for going on 7 years now. The staff could not be more helpful and accomodating. If there is any problems or questions, there is always someone on hand to immediatly assist you.

The lodge rooms that I book (5 times a year, with a group of 20 women) are quaint and a little rustic. You are in the mountains (literally) right in the midst of a gorgeous hillside with amazing views. The common room is very large with a beautiful rock fireplace that they keep stocked with wood and will build you a fire.

The catering, which I've utilized on every trip for my large group is very good! They have a wide selection of menu items and I've found the prices to be very resonable.

Overall, I've always had a wonderful experience at Angels Landing and have already booked 5 Scrapbook Get-a-Ways for 2007. I love the experiece of being in the country and enjoy the old-fashioned personal experience that is missing from big-chain hotels.

• Liked — Scenery
  • Disliked — Thin walls
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Bend
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2007

I too found this to need some cleaning, good deep cleaning. I was very disturbed by the uncleanliness of the place. The windows were filthy, I took it upon myself to clean some of them to enjoy the beauty outside. We stayed in the cabin and it had a filthy kitchen, and the utensils were minimal. Bring your own paper goods and bleach. And the microwave was broken and the wall heaters did not work on our 2nd day, thank goodness for the fireplace. Which is the most wonderful part of the cabin. The bed was horrible, terrible night's sleep. The bathroom sink which was new did not drain. As you can see it needs some attention.
But the positive's were the surroundings, so beautiful and peaceful. And the personnel, they are as kind as could be. So if you plan a trip, keep in mind some areas of concern.
As for the lodge, wonderful fireplace, but the carpet needs replacing and the room itself needs cleaning and updating. If all of this were to be addressed I would give this place a excellent..We don't need a fancy place, just clean and comfortable.
And as for some of the other reviews that gave it such high marks, please be honest at all levels, it sure would of made a difference in our deciding on this place.

• Liked — Surroundings
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Tips/Secrets — wait to see if these issues are addressed
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
teresamanley, Owner at Angels Landing Country Inn and Resort, responded to this review, January 25, 2007
We so value the feedback from our guests. It helps us plan future upgrades and amenities. In the instance of this review, we would like to mention that right before Thanksgiving, a pipe burst in the Lilac building, causing a major flood and then happily, total renovation. Regarding this specific review, before this reservation was made, we let them know this was the case and that we were not quite finished with the room and still had finish work to do on the Lilac Suite and that we would rent it to them at a discounted rate - which they thought was great and completely understood since they were remodeling their own home. Our lesson learned is that while we want to say yes to people and give them the unit they want, it is better to say no and finish completely than offer at a discount and have unhappiness. Please allow me to address some specifics. During the remodeling of the Lilac Suite, we slept in the king size bed for many nights and were so comfortable and we hear this from our guests too. The hide-a-beds are certainly not as comfortable as a regular bed and we are thinking of removing them, yet some guests have slept on them for a week at a time and been fine. It’s difficult to know what to do -- some people like beds really firm, other’s very soft. We really apologize that the windows were not cleaned – something we value as very important and unfortunately overlooked in our haste to get the room “almost ready.” While the windows needed cleaning, there is brand new carpeting, tile, paint, etc. The kitchen had just been thoroughly cleaned after all the construction work but we did notice some of the cooking utensils needed replacing, as they often do in a country cabin, where different cooks treat things differently and need different things, and they have all been replaced. Upon check in, we always tell people that if there is something missing in the kitchen, to please let us know and we will get it to them. A large pot for cooking was requested, but nothing else mentioned. Had we been told about the lack of utensils or dirty windows, we would have fixed it immediately. If we are not made aware of a problem, we can’ fix it. We verbally let our guests know we live here on the property, we are here to help – just let us know. We also post this information on a sign in each room with our number for emergencies. We are also sorry there were difficulties with the microwave, which is only 2 months old. We have not been able to duplicate the problem mentioned to us and it has been successfully used multiple times since this reviewers stay. We also regret that the wall heater unit stopped working that night but we did immediately bring up portable heaters and immediately replaced the wall unit. Unfortunately, it is difficult to know when something will suddenly stop working. We care very much about the enjoyment of our guests and the cleanliness of the rooms. While this review was very helpful to us, it is also confusing since this reviewer told they were very happy and they even added a third night in a different room.
Los Angeles, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2006

We did not find the same satisfaction as the others who had stayed here. We stayed here for two nights (abundant the third night which was already paid) and were not overly impressed.

The owners were very nice and friendly. It's an interesting place without modern hotel conveniences. It was a friendly and well-functioning place to stay but nothing fancy. The place is peaceful and laid back. The kids enjoyed the animals and fed them some carrots. It's a great place to get away from our busy life. The recreation room is nice and cozy; provides coffee, tea and hot cocoa but you must supply your own water. They also have some foam crafts and crayons for the kids to have fun with.

We were given a room next to the recreation room. We could hear anytime someone used the door. The walls are thin and you can hear everything your neighbor is saying. The room definitely needs to be refurbished as the furniture is quite outdated. The mattress was old and uncomfortable (I can feel the springs). The outdated sofa bed is so dreadful that it gives you a backache in the morning.

Beware of your neighbors! The first night was nice and quiet. However, the second night was distressful! Next door neighbor was "WILD". They checked in around 1 AM with loud music, singing, laughing, banging, door slamming, and etc. until 5 AM. Luckly they checked out next morning. I addressed the problem to the owners and they thought it wouldn't happen again. We abundant the third night (fully paid $135+tax) due to another young and loud crowd checked in next door. I have kids and they can be loud and noisy but nothing compare to my neighbors.

I felt that it was misleading to believe that this was a family oriented lodge when so many disruptions occurred during my stay from discourteous youthful neighbors.

I wanted to write this because I use Trip Advisor before every trip and find it very helpful.

• Liked — Spacious outdoor environment, friendly staff, recreation room
  • Disliked — Room color, outdated furniture, no bathtub, thin wall, cobweb, dusty in certain area
  • Tips/Secrets — Staying at the Lilac Suite
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Again, we are so very sorry– this was such a nice family (as mentioned in management response above this one) and I can only wish that we would have the ability to screen or know when someone makes a reservation that they will turn out to be wild party types – truly not the norm for us. Other families and couples at the other end of the lodge and in our other buildings had a fantastic time that weekend. We are anxious to begin the remodeling of the lodge building and adding sound proofing to the 70’s construction to prevent these types of problems in the future.
Hollywood
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2006

First off, allow me to clear any misconceptions: Angel’s Landing is no sanctuary. My stay at this lodge was one of the most displeasing and terrible experiences I have yet to encounter.

I don’t ask for much when I travel: just a comfortable bed and a clean room. Not too much to ask for right? Wrong. Apparently this lodge does not value cleanliness nor comfort at all. The bed was outdated; I could feel the springs pressing against my spine. The rooms did not feel sanitary; I caught several buggy critters wandering through the bathroom and on the beds. Is this what I’m paying for? I hope not.

Now, I’m not trying to discredit this place for some personal vendetta or anything like that—I just feel that I should report the facts as they are. Perhaps the most unpleasant part of my three nights and four day stay at this lodge was the terrible neighbors I had. I was lead to believe that this was a family oriented place, with understanding neighbors in similar situations as me. However, I was wrong. I had disruptive youthful neighbors whom saw that it was appropriate to check in at 1 am in the morning and behave noisily. I am usually a heavy sleeper; it takes massive disturbances to awaken me. Noise has never been a factor to my sleep; however, these neighbors have proved me wrong. They managed to wake me from my slumber with their ridiculous door-slamming games and obnoxious cursing. And to top it off, I could smell the strong cigarette smoke from outside. As we are all aware, second hand smoke is more dangerous than smoking itself. I had two young children with me on this trip—the thought that they were being exposed to second hand smoke in their own room was unacceptable!

By the third day I was ready to leave. I was sleep deprived, irritated, and felt dirty. However, I did feel that it was appropriate to just leave a place, especially after paying for the rooms, so I tried to stick it out. To my dismay, after the first noisy neighbor checked out, another larger group of noisy neighbors checked in! That was the last straw; I could not handle another sleepless night of discomfort. I forfeited my last night there, I didn’t care that I had to pay for it. Anything was better then staying there.

All these circumstances put aside, this lodge did have some wonderful perks. There was a cozy recreation area which provided delicious hot cocoa and tea; you just had to bring your own water. A nice surprise was the adorable foam crafts and crayons provided for the little ones.  Even I was tempted to draw a bit!

Another perk of this place was the surrounding environment. There were many scenic trails available to us to walk on, although I did take any myself, I’m sure they were wonderful. The ranch was beautiful and spacious. It was a relaxing scene to witness. There were also animals on the ranch for you to feed carrots to, which was one of the most memorable experiences for the children with me on the trip.

The employees of the lodge were very, very kind. They made my stay there a little more enjoyable.
Unfortunately, these perks just couldn’t make up for the troubles I experienced while I was there.

I’m usually not such a critic; however, I feel it is important for potential lodgers to be aware of what they are getting themselves into.

• Liked — Nice srroundings
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
As previously mentioned in the other management response, we so value this input. In fact, after this holiday season, we have decided to change several policies – especially New Year’s Eve! Usually, the lodge building is used for retreats, so we are in the process of changing descriptions, names, etc. on our web site and brochure to more accurately describe the lodge building as a retreat center. Planned renovations include soundproofing the walls, which we discovered was a problem thanks to the reviews on Trip Advisor! The lodge rooms are simple and functional, and much less expensive then our suites. The two-bedroom, 1 bath lodge rooms are $135 a night on the weekends and are functional, but not fancy. They come in two different configurations and can sleep up to 8 people. This family’s room had six people, two king size beds and two fold out couches. We have Lazy Boy fold out couches, but we have not found any hide a bed to be as comfortable as a regular bed – but we’re still looking for alternative solutions! Also, we have decided that during the major holidays, when we normally have individuals and families instead of retreats, we will require a monetary deposit of some sort to detour the loud, partying types. Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing that the quiet voice on the end of the phone or the lovely email request from a guest will result in a potentially loud, cursing group that checks in at 1am. How terrible and we wish we could prevent that type of thing from happening. We are most fortunate I guess that a name like “Angels Landing” does not draw this type of visitor as this is an extremely rare occurrence (we’ve had this type of guest the reviewer is describing just a handful of times in the last ten years – thank goodness!) We do live on the property and answer the phone 24 hours a day for emergencies and disturbances. If we are not made aware of a situation, we can’t fix it. This review (and the one below) was one of the nicest families we have ever had at Angels Landing and we are so very sorry the neighbors were so terrible the 2nd and 3rd night. When the family came into the office after the first night, we were told what a great time they were having as they got carrots to feed our animals. When they came into the office after the disastrous guests on the 2nd night, we apologized profusely, told them those guests would not be there the next night, asked if there was anything we could do, offered them a coupon for apple pie in town, etc. and they told us it was ok, they were really happy with everything else, they understood these things happened and that they were having a great time. Never any mention of the room feeling “unsanitary” (not only do we clean – we Lysol everything!) We have tried all king size beds and have found no springs, but as mentioned, do agree that the hide a beds are not very comfortable and are looking into a solution. We value cleanliness extremely (we should have stock in Lysol) and as mentioned in our management response previously, had been gone for a year responding to Katrina, and when we returned, found things not quite up to our standards, so took over the cleaning ourselves personally to ensure the utmost cleanliness. I have to say we have never seen a bug on the furniture or in the bathrooms – but being in the country and on top of 53 acres, we do see bugs every now and then and have a professional pest service each month – just to be safe. We were horrified to learn that the 3rd night for this family brought yet another loud, New Year’s Eve group right next door – again, which we didn’t know about until reading this review online. When they checked out around 6:30pm the 3rd night, we were thanked very much and told they were going to their sister’s house – we had no idea about the new neighbors (who we charged money for smoking in the room – only the 2nd time we’ve had to do that in 10 years!) I’m so glad the family did enjoy the animals and the other things our property has to offer and as mentioned, we have taken this to heart and our making changes as we speak.
Roamingmom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2006

Angeles Landing Country Inn and Resort has truly become one of my favorite places in California. I don’t ever write these things but I wanted to take the time to share with everyone this hidden jewel in Julian. The first time I had the pleasure of staying there was for a good friends wedding and reception and I was lucky enough to vacation there for three days. The room was delightful, very comfortable, nicely decorated and I felt surprisingly at home. When I first got there I found out they didn’t have any televisions or phones in their rooms and at first I thought I’d really miss the television but half way through the first day I caught myself actually relaxing, you know that moment when all of a sudden you realize your whole body has let go of all of its tension, you don’t need to go anywhere or do anything unless you want to, no sudden phone ringing no incessant television sound. This place did exactly what I always want my television to do – take me away from my everyday life. I didn’t need anything to entertain me I was completely at peace, completely content. Not to say that there wasn’t anything to do there. I found out Angeles landing is on 53 acres and was actually on the old Pony Express trail and at one time there was even a working gold mine on the property. It’s funny you can actually feel the history just walking on the land. Since I came alone I was afraid that I wouldn’t know what to do with myself for the two days I had free but the staff there was very accommodating and they helped me find just the right things for me to do. I ended up going hiking, horseback riding, I went shopping at the fantastic little shops in town, I went wine tasting, Took in an art gallery; basically all the things my husband never wants to do. I even got a one-hour message in my room. And Angeles Landing is so close to down town Julian I walked everywhere which is good because I couldn’t pass up eating several pieces of famous Julian apple pie wile I was there. The whole experience was so fantastic three days just wasn’t enough, and even though I wasn’t the bride the staff there made me feel so special I ended up deciding to go back on my next vacation. This time I brought my husband and we stayed in their Lilac suite, which was where my friend stayed when she got married, it had a big living room, a very romantic fireplace, a full-size kitchen and a separate bedroom with a huge bed. I felt like we were on our honeymoon again. We decided to go for their adventure package and got to go horseback riding together went on a half-day motorboat ride, went Sky Sailing which was breathtaking, had lunch at this fantastic little restaurant called Margaritas and the package even came with a whole apple pie! One night we even took a very romantic carriage ride in the country, we sipped champagne and looked up at the stars and then we were brought into town for dinner and when we were finished we were picked back up again and the carriage took us back to our room. I even ordered another in room message and well, with no interruptions we actually spent real time together. We felt like we did when we first started dating. I’m convinced, this place is heaven on earth, there’s a reason why they call it Angels Landing. Oh and my friends wedding, (she would kill me if I didn’t mention it) was amazing and beautiful! It was actually catered by Angeles Landing and the food was fantastic! If I weren’t already married this would be the place I would want to go to get married. Oh well, maybe a vow renewal? Let’s hope my husband reads this! I found out they even have a family package and a petting zoo, next time were bringing the kids!!!

bakersfield,ca.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2006

we stayed at Angel's Landing for a week this summer & had a delightful time. the staff was so friendly & helpful, the room was large & lovely! the beds were comfortable. we will very definately come back to stay again, maybe this winter. hoping for snow!

bakersfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2006

when my daughter(4 yrs. old) had open heart surgery, we visited there for her recovery period. the cold, clear mountain air was what the doctor ordered! she wanted to play in the snow within 5 days after surgery. the rooms were great, the people awesome. the quiet & peace of the surrounding mountains really helped mom too. thank you so much for a lovely visit. we'll very definately be back!

Been to Angels Landing Country Inn and Resort? Share your experiences!