“An absolute gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mojave Sands

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Joshua Tree
Mojave Sands
You added Mojave Sands to your Saves list
62121 29 Palms Highway, Joshua Tree, CA 92252   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Joshua Tree B&B and Inns
“An absolute gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

My girlfriend and I can't stop talking about our weekend at Mojave Sands. The decor and room design are the best I've seen in a motel anywhere in the world. The record player and collection, steam bath, paintings and sculptures really made the overall experience delightful, not to mention the staff and guests we met along the way. A++ rating for this beautiful, friendly and relaxing place. We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

Just got back from our stay at the Mojave Sands for the July 4th weekend. It was so peaceful and relaxing. There are 5 rooms. Only two are suites, Suite 1 and Suite 5. Suite 5 is the roomiest and both have a mini kitchen. We stayed in Suite 1 and would definitely recommend it. The rooms are spacious but if you can get a suite, go for the suite! I'm not sure how you can call this a motel because this is so much better than your traditional/average motel. Everything was there for us including an awesome steam room/shower which was definitely enjoyed. There were fresh coffee beans in the grinder and an espresso machine and we didn't even need to bring our own dishes/silverware. The place is located just so, enough to make you feel like you are in the middle of the desert but only 10 minutes in either direction of gas stations, markets and shops. It is about 20-25 minutes from the west entrance of the Joshua Tree National Park.

The owner Blake and the manager Linelle were totally friendly and helpful. Most of the time, we stayed to ourselves since we had our own kitchen, but someone was always available if we needed something or had questions. We were told that the swimming pool should be up and running in about 6 months so we can't wait!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

Mojave Sands, or 'Blakes' as we nick-named it, is going down as one of our 'special places'.
Not only was Blake extraordinarily kind, but the amount of work he has put in to the place is awe-inspiring.
The design is impeccable; stunning without being pretentious and totally befitting of the environment.
We were actually happy to have been there before the pool goes in, because we have no doubt, that once it does 'Blakes' is going to be the hottest ticket in the desert.
It was heart-wrenching to leave, can't wait to go back, sadly it's a long way from London, but we will find a way...

Room Tip: they are all lovely, but suite 5 is the best!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

My second trip was even better than the first! This hotel is def one of a kind. The little details are all taken into account here. If you appreciate the finer things of life you will love this place. Blake was very hospitable and kind to our party. It is amazing to be able to deal directly with the owner and how down to earth he is. I have recommended this place to many of my friends and will continue to do so, check this place out!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

Mojave Sands is absolutely one of a kind. You will never find another hotel like this anywhere. My fiance and I frequent the Yucca Valley/Joshua Tree area as a weekend escape from LA. We were headed to Hicksville one weekend and were redirected to Mojave Sands due to a technical difficulty. We were completely blown away at the beauty, craftsmanship, hospitality and serenity of Mojave Sands. The owner, Blake, is really, really good people and he gave us many suggestions on things to do and see in the area that we would have never discovered on our own. True landmarks of desert art and creativity, not to mention the hotel itself is a work of art. Awesome vinyl selection, eucalyptus steam showers in the suites (which I highly recommend, it's def worth the extra $), amazing interior and exterior design and fixtures, outdoor fireplaces and grills... I could go on and on, but honestly, check it out for yourself. Thank me later!

PS We are having our wedding at Mojave Sands in the Spring!!!

Room Tip: Book in advance and ask for a suite. There are 2.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

We pulled into the Mojave Sands around 7pm as the sun was setting the air had started to cool off and the wind was a peaceful breeze. I had heard of all the care and attention that Blake had put into the design of the Motel and was really excited to see what he had done. He took us on a tour of the grounds and the different motel rooms that were not occupied - the steel work was incredible, the venetian plasterwork beautiful and soothing - such extraordinary care has been put into all the work that had been done on this place, it is meticulously thought out and well designed. For those of us who really truly enjoy craftsmanship and thoughtful design meeting Blake will be like meeting a soul mate. I truly look forward to returning to the Mojave Sands to see the evolution of Blake's design as each piece is realized. Really looking forward to the Pool with the swivel slab table!

I would really recommend this place for those that enjoy good deign and interesting company, it is a rare gem, a secret spot that is just starting to be discovered - get a chance to stay there while you can because I can only see it getting booked-up fast as the secret gets out - if you are looking for something that is like a Holiday Inn this is not the place for you -

Room Tip: Room 5 and 1 have amazing steam showers....
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

My girlfriend and I booked a night at the Mojave Sands impulsively, based only on the information on its website, and it ended up being the best thing about our trip to Joshua Tree. The owner Blake greeted us at check-in and, since it was a slow weekend, upgraded us from our small-but-nicely-decorated room to a suite for no extra charge. The suite was beautiful, with a kitchenette, a record player with a great selection of LPs, and a shower that doubled as a steam room.

The motel is still a work-in-progress: the swimming pool and spa are coming soon. But the place is definitely ready for visitors, and its unfinished quality tends to add to its charm. Blake and his friend have put a lot of love into the restoration and landscaping of a property that was once a seedy roadside motel but is now a friendly, welcoming boutique inn with an eclectic, design magazine-quality decor.

What made our stay at Mojave Sands truly memorable was the social experience. Usually when I check into a hotel I prefer to be left alone (you could say I'm not much of a B&B person). And there's no pressure at Mojave Sands to use the place as anything but a place to sleep. But Blake and his friends happened to be having a barbecue the night we visited, and my girlfriend and I stopped by after dinner. Everyone was welcoming and gracious and had amazing stories. Plus there were a few very friendly, very adorable dogs. I was already sold on Mojave Sands by that time, but hanging out at the barbecue clinched it and made my first trip to Joshua Tree a great experience.

Room Tip: Go for the suite.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Mojave Sands? Share your experiences!