“A hidden Gem . Worth the trip to visit this mission” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Attractions in Jolon
Type: Missions, Cultural
SC
24 attraction reviews
“A hidden Gem . Worth the trip to visit this mission”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My husband and I stumbled on the San Antonio Mission while driving to Monterey from Cambria. We saw the sign on the hwy and thought, why not ? We arrived 30 minutes before closing time and we were only the 4th visitor all day long. It ended up being one of our favorite missions that we visited during our vacation to California.

It is an active church with a very small congregation but it is well maintained and had a friendly staff that welcomed us and told us not to hurry.
Take the time to find this mission and appreciate the beauty of the area. They even have local artisan crafts on sale to support the local area. You can find some unique items to purchase that I did not see in other missions, plus it is nice to know that the money goes toward a good cause.
I hope you will consider this an interesting sidetrip if you are staying in the Cambria area/ San Simeon. It was worth the trip.

Visited October 2012

Pismo Beach, Calif.
34 attraction reviews
“Out of way, unchanged California Mission”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

You have to take the Jolon Road driving south on Hwy 101 just before you cross the Salinas River bridge at the north end of King City. If you are driving from Los Angeles, exit just north of Camp Roberts to Jolon. There used to be a smattering of wood storefronts in Jolon, but now you have to watch for signs to Camp Hunter Liggett. I haven't been here lately, but you still have to pass through an entrance gate to the Army camp before driving on the Mission San Antonio. Because this mission was by-passed when the California Highway Dept. (now CalTrans) built Hwy 101, this is one of Father Junipero Serra's "lost" missions. Enjoy this piece of California History. And while here take a tour of Wm.Randolph Hearst's home that is open to the public. You see, you are in the hills just north and behind Hearst Castle.

“Beautiful scenery and wonderfully maintained California history”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

We had so much fun touring the grounds and the museum area. So much preserved history!! The staff person in the store area was very friendly and helpful. Now we are hooked and want to visit all of California's other hidden treasures.

Crescent City, California
“A Pilgrimage”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

After loosing my wife of 27 years to cancer, I asked my Priest if it was crazy to think of taking my wife's ashes, picture and rosary on a pilgrimage to all 21 of the California Missions. He thought it was a great idea, so off I went, broken hearted and all ( A side note: I cried fiercely in every Mission, but no one bothered me. I was left to pray and grieve, sort of beautiful).

Mission San Antonio De Padua is the perfect place to go and remember a lost wife. It is the place Father Junipero Sara performed the first marriage ever done in what would become the western United States. It is set in a peaceful, reflection inspiring countryside that whispers ever presently "the past was beautiful, the present is beautiful, and the future is likely to be beautiful also".

I prayed my wife's rosary, walked the grounds, and spent the afternoon thinking of Linda and all the people who came before us and a little of those who would come after us. This mission is one of my most favorites (it is hard to beat Carmel or San Diego) because it is most like a window on time. Even the dirt parking lot is full of history. It is next to the weathered remains of original adobe.

I do not think one gets any extra treasure in Heaven for visiting a mission. But I find true pleasure in being at this Mission while thinking of my wife. I even bought a special high dollar rosary in the, way better than normal, gift shop to remember her by.

I am not big on praying to the Saints, so I am not trying to promote it here. Yet Saint Anthony is said to be the patron Saint of those who have lost stuff. The loss of my wife still crushes me, but I find my love for her growing more and more with the help of this Mission. Thanks to all who make that possible.

Visited January 2012
San Luis Obispo, CA
10 attraction reviews
“Mission San Antonio de Padua”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Smaller than others, but it's alway interesting to visit the missions - true California history! Beautiful rolling hills in the surrounding area; Lake Naciemento is near and easy drive to the Coast.