“Timber Cove still hasn't gotten it together.” 3 of 5 stars

Timber Cove Inn
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   21780 North Coast Highway 1, Jenner, CA 95450   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Jenner B&B and Inns
Narberth, Pennsylvania
“Timber Cove still hasn't gotten it together.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

My husband and I went to Timber Cove this past September for my birthday, and I think it will be for the last time. When we first found it last December, it was an amazing find that was still going through some growing pains. But now, I can't justify paying (or going through this hassle) at their price point anymore.

When we arrived on Saturday afternoon, we went up to our room to find the valance above one of the sets of verticals off the wall and leaning up against another wall. Two sets of verticals were missing 5 individual verticals each (which let a surprising amount of light in). As we went down to dinner at Alexander's (the on-site restaurant), we informed the front desk, and the woman said there was a wedding yesterday which rented the whole property, and it got a bit crazy. She said she would send maintenance up to the room to look at it.

Our dinner at Alexander's was amazing. This restaurant is the hotel's savior. I had an amazing piece of halibut. Unfortunately, there were flies in the restaurant which we had to keep shooing away. It was very odd.

When we got back to the room, the valance was gone, but the missing verticals had not been replaced.
There were small things which show the hotel is not refined yet, like the dead termites and spiders in the bathroom, mismatching light switch covers, water stains on the wood walls etc. Also, there is no refrigerator, corkscrew, or wine glasses in the room. Keep that in mind after you tour wineries all day and intend to relax with wine in the room.

Everything was fine until Monday (my birthday), the last night of our stay. We came back to our room after an afternoon out in Freestone, and although, the bed was made, it looked like someone had been lying in it after it was made. I walked over to that side of the bed, and I found the tv remote on that nightstand, and a Timber Cove room checklist sheet which would be used by maintenance or housekeeping. On the bathroom vanity counter, we found a half eaten apple covered by a tissue. We didn't have any apples in our room before. It was really unsettling. Since this employee was taking liberties with our bed, did they take liberties with our personal items in our luggage? We'll never know. My husband took the checklist down to the front desk and explained what we found, and the front desk rep apologized.

I decided to fill the hot tub to relax. When I turned the jets on, before I got in, I saw all kinds of hairs and floaters in the water. I remembered the wedding party which had taken over the hotel before we arrived, and I decided not to get in the tub. I'd rather not stew in someone else's hair and fluids. It would have been nice if housekeeping would have filled tub and ran the jets while cleaning it before we arrived.

When we checked out, we told the front desk of all of our issues. They ended up subtracting a night from our bill to make up for it, and we were told the general manager would contact us. (We never heard from the general manager, even after I filled out their online survey which was emailed to us.)

At this point, Timber Cove needs to step things up before we would consider returning. It's not about the money... we don't take vacations often because of our busy work schedules.. It's about the hassle and the stress during a vacation.... and a disappointing birthday experience.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
MGT_Timber_Cove_Inn, General Manager at Timber Cove Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2010
With an overall high approval rating by Trip Advisor reviewers, I am always disappointed when we fall short of a guest's expectations. Nevertheless, we use the feedback to continue to improve our service and amenities. My staff and I will not be satisfied until we get it right--every time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Louisville, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

The Timber Cove Inn has the most breathtaking sunset views and spectacular views of the Pacific ocean! There are very nice walking trails with unique vistas around each bend. You will literally be perched on the side of a cliff.

The rooms themselves are outdated and certainly need an upgrade. We found the bed very comfy and clean but the jacuzzi tub was not something I would want to use and the water seems a little briny. More attention could be shown to cleaning the rooms and the paneling. I thought this would bother me more but the views are stunning and it is the perfect place to relax. The fireplace in the room is a nice element and the balconies are great for a glass of wine during the sunset.

Getting there is a challenge if you have any sort of vertigo. Hwy 1 is pretty steep from Jenner to Ft. Ross. Unlike the stated location, it is actually very close to Ft. Ross and probably 30 minutes from Jenner on slow windy roads that I would not drive for the first time at night. Once you are here... plan on eating all your meals at the hotel unless you are up for the winding drive again. We ate each time at the restaurant and had good meals. The breakfast entrees are easily shared and for lunch you can grab a deli sandwich and picnic fixings at a camp general store just a mile away from the Fort. Don't expect much here but the sandwiches are good.

Enjoy an evening cocktail by the open fire on the coast at dark for a very romantic way to end the day. The main lobby is very pretty with a nice bar and fire place as well. For less expensive menu items, you can eat in this area. It was a wonderful way for us to end a busy vacation by lounging, walking and enjoying the incredible vistas.

Vacaville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

Very enjoyable and relaxing. Want more choices for meals and reasonably priced drinks.

Borefield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

My husband & I stayed @ Timber Cove Inn, just for one night, though we wished we could have stayed for a WEEK!!! We were in CA for a conference in Napa, but NEEDED to be near the ocean at least for one day...The drive from San Francisco Airport, was great in a little convertible we rented...the twisty roads up the coast were fun. Each little town we passed thru had something unique about it. When we came around the bend on the approach to Timber Cove, it was like an oasis spread out before us. The rocky coast, the jagged cliffs, the TREES, the pounding surf!!! WE were breathless at the beauty surrounding this hotel. We ate a lovely meal in the dining room overlooking the Pacific Ocean. We watched a fabulous sunset. We went to our room which was clean, quaint, roomy. The bathroom was a little small, though there was a jacuzzi tub. We changed into warmer clothes, took the lantern that was in the room (nice touch) & went exploring on the many trails. We sat by the outdoor fire & admired the millions of stars..The sounds of the ocean surrounded us...I can't think of words to adequately describe the beauty of the area where this hotel is located. The staff was friendly. The food for dinner & breakfast was very tasty. WE loved it & plan to return soon someday.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Loomis, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

We have been going to this place for many years. It continues to be a favorite!

This particular trip was to mark ouy 49th wedding aniversary.

Hattiesburg, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

This is an older property which is one of my favorite places we've ever stayed in.
It's islolated on a beautiful point, overlooking the pacific. Our room view was spectacular.It was bay view, and it couldn't have been better, except ocean view gets sunsets. We dined both nights in their restaurant and had excellent, friendly service with wonderful food, and sunsets. This is a great place to get away from it all. My cell phone didn't work, which is not all bad. They have wireless so I communicated that way..
I love this property and the memories of cool walks around the property are etched in our mind.

Freehold, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

Located on the bluffs overlooking the Pacfic Ocean is this unique hotel. Make sure you choose an ocean facing room. There are many trails to follow around the property. Make sure to watch the sunset and afterwards warm up at the bonfire. The bar was a great place to hang out and dinner was delicious!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Timber Cove Inn? Share your experiences!