“nice hotel, but not for young couples.” 3 of 5 stars

Timber Cove Inn
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   21780 North Coast Highway 1, Jenner, CA 95450   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Jenner B&B and Inns
Henniker, New Hampshire, United States
“nice hotel, but not for young couples.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel while we were on the second part of our honeymoon. I was disappointed by the check in process- we had called ahead by 2 hours asking for early check-in and were told it would be fine, then upon arrival we had to wait an additional hour to check in. I felt that it was time we could have spent somewhere other than the hotel lobby. The room was very nice, spacious and the jacuzzi tub was perfect for two. A note to younger couples- there is not much to do at this hotel. It is a 14 mile drive to the nearest town, and much further than that for entertainment. The view is spectacular, however. And the restaurant was great. The time that we did spend in the hotel was enjoyable, but in the end we left a few days early to go back to the city.

Room Tip: Try to book an ocean view room, the 'garden views' that we had almost booked sat on top of t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Keith H, General Manager at Timber Cove Inn, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Kara,

Thank you for staying with us! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here, but more importantly I hope that you will choose to return at some point in the future - even if only for a day or two. We are fortunate to have guests of all ages and backgrounds who stay with us, and feel we have something to offer for everyone. Of course, no property can have everything to offer for everyone. Although we can offer a plethora of activities here at the hotel and the surrounding areas (and I hope to have the opportunity to share them with you by phone) those who are looking for an urban environment will surely not find it here.

Having said that, I do take feedback from our guests seriously and will spend some time with our team to seek out and feature activities in the local area that would suit young couples. I hope you will give me a call directly to discuss!

At Your Service,

Keith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Corona, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Had a great stay. Nice escape from the LA rat race. Peaceful. A little panic when we arrived when the front desk had no record of our reservation and didn't have much knowledge of the plan we signed up for. However, they had available rooms so it worked out. A little pricey and a bit of a drive to get to but glad we made the trip. Friendly staff and good food in the restaurant. Rooms are a little small.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, get the suite. Get the ocean view for the sunsets.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ben S, Executive Chef at Timber Cove Inn, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thankyou so much for your kind words here on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear that you had some reservations issues but I am glad that everything was taken care of so that you could have an enjoyable vacation. I hope that your stay here was a memorable one and I look forward to seeing you here in the future.
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

To start: The view from this hotel is incredible. I've never seen anything like it in all of my travels. We watched the sun set over the Pacific at dinner and the sun rise every morning. Before sunrise, we enjoyed the stars while sitting on our balcony. Our cove view gave us stunning views of the water. The paths around the hotel are great too, lovely rocky and plant-covered cliffs and you must explore them before you leave.

The staff was warm, friendly and helpful. It was very nice to get such a warm welcome after the long day we'd had to get there. And we got to chat with the manager one of the evenings during dinner. He was very friendly. The lodge lobby was really welcoming as well, with comfortable furniture and newspapers every morning. There's a fire pit outside in the evenings. The restaurant was a fantastic surprise: The food was 4-star and the wine list was excellent. The bathrobes in the room were awesome and I think I wore mine every second I was in the room. The grounds are very well-landscaped. The shampoo, conditioner and lotion all smelled fantastic. The linens were soft and comfortable. The room was clean. Parking was close to the rooms.

We expected rustic, even with the price tag, but still expected a few amenities. I felt the pictures on the website didn't match our room. The room was very long. The bed is at the end with the balcony, along with the TV. In the middle of the room was a fireplace too big for the room and hard to get around. And there's no way to turn it off (that we could find). There was only a nightstand on one side of the bed, so no place to put eyeglasses. The walls are paper thin and I could hear conversations from the rooms on either side very very clearly. The shower was in the middle of the room against the wall and offered no privacy to get in and out of. There was no place to put wet towels or washcloths. There was a queen pullout bed in the room, but if you'd opened it, no one would be able to get to the bathroom or out of the front door.

We left very pleased we'd visited and hope to return again.

Room Tip: You'll want cove or ocean front. I'd ask for a corner room if only to eliminate noise from o...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
benicia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This is our getaway from all the home projects and day to day living. We come here so that we can relax with each other. This is at least the fourth time we have come here and have never been disappointed with the rooms, service or the restaurant. They have taken care of everything and given us the time so that we can just relax and just wander about and look at the gorgeous views of the ocean. We have even found our special bench that we just sit and watch the waves crash. We look forward to our getaways here. The rooms are always clean and warm. At the restaurant and bar, the food was great and the bar has a modified menu. The staff is very friendly and goes went out of their way to help us.

Room Tip: I like ocean views, 2nd floor. If I went during the winter, I might pick a cove view. This is for t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jason G, Food & Beverage Manager at Timber Cove Inn, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Diane C,

Thank you for your wonderful comments, and for making The Timber Cove Inn your destination to unwind and center yourself. As has been stated, our Manager's and staff are committed to providing each and every person who walks into this lodge with a beautiful experience, enhanced with good food, good wine, and excellent service. I am glad that you took the time to walk around the many trails that encircle the Inn, and found a particular spot to call your own. It is our hope that other guests will also find the little nooks around this property, and experience the tranquility and peace inherent to the location. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Cheers!
Jason
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

You can't help but appreciate the beautiful location. It is removed, lovely and tranquil. I understand they are doing renovations, and it is a good thing because the first room we stayed in needed it. It had a loft bed with a pitched ceiling that left inadequate head space, and the room needed a serious update. My biggest complaint was the service and amenities were not in line with the price. For $250/night I expect more that a coffee maker with paper cups. And I would have liked to have been warned about the racoons that came into our room.
Positive things were: the view, the trails along the cliffs, the bed was comfortable and sheets were soft (very soft!), the exercise room was basic but nice, and the area has some worthy places to eat (though all require a bit of a drive).
My advice would be to pay extra to have the cove view and request one of the rooms that have been recently renovated.

Room Tip: Cove View room with a King bed has the better view, and request one that has been recently renovated...
Dear Catherine,

Thank you for the review and your e-survey. It was a pleasure speaking with you and I hope the feeling is mutual. You made several points about your stay that were very thought-provoking and useful, and we have discussed them as a management team in order to take action. We listen to our guests and take feedback seriously, and I hope our conversation and the remedial actions that we have taken support this in your eyes. My main focus as General Manager is to ensure that our guests feel good about the time and money they choose to spend with us, so thank you for your efforts in helping me and my team accomplish this important goal.

At Your Service,

Keith
Midlothian, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

You cannot go wrong with Timber Cove Inn. The facilities are great, although our room had the shower located behind the TV in the middle of the spearation wall. Different to say the least. The spa tub with a window to the spectacular sunsets was great as was the gas fireplace. The staff was equally as wonderful, from check-in thru the bar and dining until we had to check out. The main improvement would be refridgerators in the rooms. There are no drink machines or soft drinks in the small store so the only way to get anything to drink is go to the bar. Aside from drinks and snacks, some medications such as insulin need to be kept cold.

Room Tip: There is no cell service and only spotty wi-fi. Leave the hotel number with anyone that may need to...
Milothiantexas,

Thank you for your comments; I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay at our Inn. There are a number of upgrades/improvements currently planned and being enacted even as I write this that will make our little gem of a hotel shine brighter than it ever has in the past. One such improvement that I feel compelled to mention is that we will be offering chilled beverages in the gift shop very soon. We certainly appreciate all of your excellent suggestions, and hope that you'll visit us again.

Cheers!
Jason
JACKSON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Timber Cove Inn is lovely and perfect for a romantic get away. There are nice trails on the grounds with plenty of spots to sit and watch the waves. It is not particularly close to anything but it's lovely and peaceful and has wonderful food. They have changed over e years. There are no longer wood burning stoves or outdoor redwood hot tubs but it's still a great romantic get away

Room Tip: We like the ocean view rooms. We talked to folks in the cove view and they mentioned that the shower...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Robin M, Assistant General Manager at Timber Cove Inn, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Cathy A,

Romance can be defined as a feeling of excitement and mystery associated with love. We often hear guests describe our location as “romantic” and I would have to agree and not just because I live and work in this beautiful area. There is indeed something mysterious about our rugged coastline; each wave that crashes into the rocks below and each sunset that dips into the horizon is unique and will never be repeated so they must be enjoyed, savored like a great glass of wine. When our guests walk along our trails it is our sincere hope that they create a lasting memory of our location.

Thank you for coming to our special place.

With Regards,

Been to Timber Cove Inn? Share your experiences!