“Beautiful location, retro style” 3 of 5 stars

Timber Cove Inn
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   21780 North Coast Highway 1, Jenner, CA 95450   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Jenner B&B and Inns
SF Bay Area
“Beautiful location, retro style”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

20 min north of Jenner on twisty Hwy 1; a full 1/2 hr drive you DON'T want to do at night. Inn recently purchased by new owner in May 2012 and some renovation is being done. Public areas are nice but our room (212) was outdated with snagged low-pile carpet, curtains in an unintentionally retro print, old tired upholstered armchair; minimal desk space.

Room faced southeast, partial cove view from outside on the little deck but not from inside (ocean view rooms are pricier). Daytime you can hear the waves but at night, there was a low continuous machine noise--a generator, maybe? Room decent size but old fashioned 1960's in color, layout and decor. The walls are overlapped unfinished 1x8s. Room ceiling is very high with an uncovered skylight. Lots of natural light, very poor room lighting. Only one 3-prong plug available in bdrm; another is in bathroom. Beds are queens, not kings like newer hotels. Bathroom is built out into the room and tiny, with a showerhead set quite low. Not much counter room.

Net access is surprisingly fast and signal strength was excellent, which was great. But no fan in the room and little cross-ventilation. Even on a windy cool afternoon, room was uncomfortably warm without the sliding doors open. 2 chairs & patio table on a tiny deck attached.

This is an isolated location, so be aware that it's a great place to relax - beachcombing, kayaking, hiking, visiting tiny Jenner or the Ft. Ross State Park - but not a good base for exploring the inland wineries. If you are doing a leisurely vacation up/down the coast, the drive is tiring. Be sure to investigate the many choices between Bodega Bay, Sea Ranch, and Gualala to compare with Timber Cove Inn.

We ate dinner at the Inn's restaurant, Alexander's. Would not eat there again; did not like the food from the new chef who was promoted June 2012.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Keith H, General Manager at Timber Cove Inn, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear Jeane00,

Thank you for the overall positive review and the honest feedback. As you noted, we are in the process of updating the hotel and further refining what we offer our guests. I would highly recommend reviewing our website near the end of September, as we have completed model rooms that demonstrate the new direction of design here at Timber Cove Inn - you will not be disappointed. Look for the new photography and let me know what you think!

Renovated room or not, I am proud of our Inn and the guest experience we provide. Our staff truly cares about this special place and the guests that stay and dine with us. The rooms have world-class views and are clean and comfortable, with plush brand-new towels, robes, and bed linens. The lobby, public areas, and hotel grounds epitomize relaxation and rejuvenation. Our food and beverage program has grown tremendously over the past six months, with terrific reviews written very recently from James Beard Foundation member Jeffrey Cox of the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat, and James Beard award-winning food & wine writer Carolyn Jung. I would love to chat with you along with my Executive Chef and Food & Beverage Manager to find out why you did not come away with the same glowing experience that these seasoned experts did. Would you be willing to share your thoughts in detail by telephone? My contact number is (707) 847-3231.

Above all, I would encourage you as our guest to let us know what is important to you and how we might enhance your stay. From providing an electric fan, to selecting a room with your preferred bed type (we have queens, plenty of kings, and double queens) or even preparing a special meal just the way you like it - we are here to serve you in every way possible. Just let us know!

At Your Service,

Keith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Annapolis, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Truly excellent dining and a breath-taking view of the ocean. Make time for some hiking in the sand along the cliffs.

The rooms have a fun and funky 1970s style to them, with wood paneling and a soaking tub in the middle of the room, but the beds are new and the rooms are spotless.

Tip: The Inn is 30 minutes north of Jenner and there is no cell phone service - so make sure you know where you are going.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jason G, Food & Beverage Manager at Timber Cove Inn, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
MegKnows,

I would just like to take a moment to thank you for sharing your experience of our property. We are in the process of cultivating an atmosphere of unprecedented elegance and quality here at Timber Cove which will only add to the overwhelming natural beauty of this location. Your feedback is most valuable to us as we move forward in this endeavor. I encourage you to return at some point, and look forward to making your acquaintance when you do.

Cheers!
Jason
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

What an amazing experience. Beginning with the drive to the Inn, every stretch of mile get incrementally more beautiful than the last; then you see it, the gigantic obelisk overlooking the Pacific coastline - and you know you've arrived.
I call it the ski lodge by the sea because that's exactly what it reminded me of when I first walked in. The views from our room were amazing (we stayed in an ocean view room) and most important of all, the bed was actually comfortable!!
This is definitely a place to come and get away from it all -- there is 0 cell phone reception, and that's not a bad thing -- and spend quality time with your loved one(s).
I chose this place for the setting -- perfect for what I intended to do, which was propose to my (then) girlfriend...and I do mean PERFECT. The sun, the sea, the rocks, the sea gulls...it's rare that a proposal could go so right in so many ways but (thankfully!) this was certainly one of those occasions.
I will most definitely be making multiple trips back up to the Timber Cove Inn. No other place like it in California.

Room Tip: If you can pull it off, the ocean view rooms are unmatched. Also, put down that iPhone cause it won...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Walnut Creek, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Several months ago, my cousin mentioned reading something about Timber Cove Inn. She had never been there, but she knew my husband and I really needed to get away from work for a few days. Then, my husband and I found ourselves with an unexpected day free! I quickly made reservations, and we spent two of the most relaxing and restful days of the year there! The weather was surprising warm, the sky clear, and the ocean was beautiful. The room was spacious and clean, and the linens were soft and new. We found the staff kind and helpful. And they were happy to provide us with a small refrigerator, so that we could bring a few food items of our own. Before our arrival, the staff warned us that we would be without cellphone reception, but given our respective works--physician and program coordinator--we were thrilled to be without cell reception for two days! We had brought our computers and had excellent WiFi. We visited with other couples and families visiting from across the country...our meeting hole was the cozy, outdoor fire pit overlooking the water. We also enjoyed the walking trails around the Inn. All in all, we had an especially restful and lovely two days and look forward to an opportunity to go again.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the second floor ocean view a great deal.
Rancho Murieta, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Spent four days at Timber Cove and had a great time. Great location, good food, cozy environment. The linens are soft and fluffy and the room was clean. The downside was that we were in a "forest view", meaning parking lot view room. The bed was in a loft with a circular staircase up to it and we could literally hear our neighbors snoring, sneezing etc. A tad inhibiting. The room was pretty dated. However, the staff were all great and we so loved the big fireplace, and the location that it made it all ok. And the place was completely booked so I guess they do not need to update.

Room Tip: If you are not able to climb a ladder do not choose a loft type room.
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

It was something we've wanted to do for some time, after we ate at the restaurant for lunch last Fall. So we grabbed some friends and spent two nights in mid-August. Perfect timing as we got away from 105 degree heat in Sacramento. Although at the coast it was somewhat foggy, we didn't mind at all (a little way inland, more sun). Our room looked right out to the ocean and we sat outside the room for our own little cocktail hour as the sun set. Later to the lounge for a light snack, and I took my drink to a lovely couch to stare at the fire in a huge fireplace. The best thing of all: we had a totally wheelchair accessible room. Too bad the trail by the ocean cliffs aren't accessible, but you can't have it all -- we got plenty close. Having a nice spa tub and fireplace made everything very cosy. We will definitely come back - in any season! Lots of places to go to nearby, but next time I'm just going to hang around the Inn. It has it all.

Room Tip: Go mid week for lower prices. Look in paper for discounts. Many people have said this hotel is old...
Venice, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at Timber Cove during an extended Pacific Coast vacation.

First the pros:
This hotel is in a beautiful location with lovely grounds and spectacular views, short hiking trails and lovely locales to stop and sit or for a photo op.
The balconies off the ocean and cove view rooms are wonderful. This is where we spent a good deal of time just relaxing and taking in the view.

The mixed:
Service at the bar was mixed, first nights' stay we had a lovely bartender new to the hotel but very nice and welcoming, had a mistake in the bill which she quickly corrected. Second night no such luck, our bartender was incredibly rude, made us feel as if we were inconveniencing her by asking for a drink while she was setting the bar for the evening. My husband and I sat in the lounge and watched her ignore customer after customer in the same manner while we waited to be seated for dinner.

The restaurant is okay, but overpriced, with tasting menus and full size options available. Service was good and we never felt ignored, but the staff also did not hover (which annoys as well).

The rooms. Ours can only be described as bizarre! the shower was located open to the room with a clear skylight above (absolutely no privacy from the rest of the room, not an issue for us, but I can see how this could be a little disconcerting). The fireplace was in the middle of the room right next to the bed, with a pilot light that does not extinguish. The fireplace pinged and tinged all night and emitted light, (not easy to fall or stay asleep). No tub which was disappointing but not the end of the world. The beds were very comfortable, with nice linens and plenty of pillows.

The cons:
There is not much to do! We spent our first evening walking the trails, sitting outside by the fire, and dinner. By the next morning we were stir crazy having exhausted what the hotel has to offer and had to travel ~23 miles to the town of Gualala for something to do (recommended by the staff for restaurants and other food options).

Construction taking place at the hotel. It appears as though they are remodeling some of the cove view rooms (unfortunately right below us), so noise was a problem until 8am until 6pm daily.

Check out was inconvenient as we left very early to make a flight, and there was no one at the front desk to take our keys (yes real keys, a plus for the cool factor, minus for inconvenience), and no option to drop keys in a drop box. We had to return to our room and call the hotel (as the main doors were locked), to have someone come and check us out.

Recommendations to the hotel: keep updating the rooms, from what I saw there will be some pretty amazing space very soon, but our older room was just laid out so poorly, the space should be utilized better (get rid of the couches and re-configure the layout). I feel you can update without sacrificing the quaint lodge feeling.

Would love to have more to do. With the beautiful grounds and lawn space it would be nice to have more options that don't take away from the quaint rustic feeling the hotel has (picnic lunches, lawn activities, wine tastings at sunset, telescopes for star gazing.........something).

Check out drop box option for those checking out early.

Overall, not a bad place to stay if you are content eating all meals at the hotel, not doing much over the course of the day, or traveling 30+ minutes for something to do. For us however, just not enough.

Room Tip: Cove rooms have spectacular views, and a little more privacy as they are not attached to the main lo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Keith H, General Manager at Timber Cove Inn, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Dear Geocin262,

You should be a travel writer! Thank you for the review. We agree that there are an abundance of great things about the hotel, the location, and the staff - and a handful of things that could (and will!) be better. Trust me when I tell you that we are hard at work to improve every day, and we are looking at everything with a critical eye. You are right that some of the layouts for our guest rooms are not ordinary, which of course can be subject to the eye of the beholder. Knowing this, we do our very best to apply the information we are given about our guests to book them in rooms that are suited to their preferences and needs. As for the remodel, let's just say that it will be extensive and virtually everything in the guest rooms will be new, including the layouts.

For me, the most disappointing part of your review was that you might not return because there isn't enough to do here. The options you suggested included picnic lunches (we have them) lawn activities (we have croquet on the events lawn daily and we will be installing a bocce ball court) wine tastings at sunset (we have wine and beer flights available at all times of the day, and s'mores at the fire pit) and telescopes for star-gazing (which we don't have, but we do have binoculars available for seal and whale-watching). In addition to these activities, historic Fort Ross State Park is minutes away, as is Salt Point State Park, Fort Ross Vineyards and their stunning new tasting room, and more. If you inquired about things to do and we did not share these things with you, then we failed you in this regard and I offer you my sincere apology.

Again, thank you for the review, it was packed full of useful information and perspective and we appreciate it. I already have our Engineer working on a drop box!

At Your Service,

Keith

Been to Timber Cove Inn? Share your experiences!