“The best hotel ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Jenner B&B and Inns
Phoenix, Arizona
“The best hotel ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

This is the perfect place for a nice week end with you loved one!
The hotel is gorgeous, the architecture just unforgettable.
Staff is incredibly nice and always happy to help.
Rooms were very clean and furnished with style.
Was so nice to enjoyed the sunset on the ocean from the Jacuzzi in our room!

We also really love the food at the restaurant and the wine.
The area has a lot to offer, beaches, wine tour, kayak on the russian river...
Such a perfect getaway!

Room Tip: Ocean view room to enjoy the view!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Jason G, Food & Beverage Manager at Timber Cove Inn, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
AVPhoenix,

Thank you for sharing your comments and experience about our property. It makes us all here at The Timber Cove Inn feel very proud when we are able to exceed a guest's expectations so much so that they feel it necessary to share this with the public. The Management team as well as the staff is firmly dedicated to making this Inn a special place for each and every person who visits us. We hope to see you again in the future.

Cheers!
Jason

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Ferndale
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

What this inn has going for it are its gorgeous views, including a very scenic pathway along a cliff overlooking the ocean.

It is really removed from anything else so you're kind of forced to use their restaurant, which is not awesome service-wise and doesn't have much options for vegetarians.

Some of the staff were great. Some seemed oddly detached to me. We were here on our honeymoon and it didn't seem to make much difference. We were put in a room directly above the kitchen so we heard noise from the coffee grinder and other things through the floor.

Noise is an issue. The walls are thing and the hotel was under construction for 2 of the 3 days we were there, so we heard banging hammers and wood saws during the day.

It was cold for us, and this was in July. The mailing address for the hotel is in Jenner but this is deceiving weather-wise and if you're using a weather app expect the temps at Timber Cove to be 10-20 degrees cooler than Jenner temps. It was also phenomenally windy, which forced us to stay in our room a lot, which contributed to a bit of a claustrophobic feeling.

I'm glad I went but there were a lot of perplexing things that were not great about our stay that I wouldn't have expected from an establishment that cared more.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Keith H, General Manager at Timber Cove Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear Daniel J,

I am happy to hear that you noticed some of the very special things about this hotel and this area that also appeal to me and drew me away from Yosemite National Park a few months ago. Of course, I am disappointed that your experience left some things to be desired with regards to service. Would you be kind enough to call me at your convenience? (707) 847-3231. I would like to gather a bit more information so that I can address the root of these issues.

With regards to our menu, we have a talented chef and culinarians that would be happy to contour our menu and/or create something to suit your dietary preferences. Just glancing at our dinner menu on Timber Cove Inn's website, I can see twelve items that are either vegetarian or could easily be modified to be vegetarian. You will also be happy to know that part of our ongoing renovation project includes the addition of cutting-edge sound proofing for our guest room walls.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Oakland, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

The views are amazing, and the rooms are ok, but you are miles from any other restaurants and the restaurant in the hotel is awful. They charge $12 for ham and eggs (not organic), served with potatoes left over from dinner. The potatoes and sausages are deep fried (gross). The service was lacking in every way. The toast arrived cold, after breakfast, they wouldnt substitute fruit for potatoes, etc. The carpet in the lobby and restaurant are filthy and I'm walking away with the feeling that I've been turned and burned-

Room Tip: Don't take 202- the view is blocked.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Keith H, General Manager at Timber Cove Inn, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Dear NeillHowell,

I invite you to contact me at (707) 847-3231, as I would appreciate the opportunity to have a conversation regarding your stay and our shortcomings in serving you properly. To be completely candid, July was the busiest month that the hotel has ever seen in its 50-year history. A big reason for that has been because of our wonderful guests telling their friends about us and writing positive reviews regarding their experience with us on sites such as Trip Advisor. With this increase in business, we had to adjust everything - our staffing levels, equipment, systems, ect. I sincerely apologize that you were caught in transition. I am happy to report that our service at breakfast has improved greatly and we are installing new carpet in the lobby and restaurant next week.

I do hope to hear from you soon.

Ben Lomond, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We are just back from our stay at the Timber Cove Inn. The Inn was very nice. Upgraded linens, great view (we upgraded to an ocean view). Nice. What wasn't nice, and the reason we'd never go again is because of the restaurant, Alexander's. There are no other dining options here -- you are about 10 miles on a twisty road from anywhere else. There were 4 of us for dinner and our server asked if we were OK with the tapas-style serving. We said we were. However, when 3 of the party has something to eat, and the 4th does not, it's extremely uncomfortable, and downright rude. We mostly waited. And waited. Spoke to our server twice. It was at least 20 minutes for something to come out for the 4th diner! The food was good -- except for the beef short ribs, which were dry and tough. We weren't the only ones complaining. There was a couple at another table who was speaking to the manager. Still, to be fair, we tipped our server 15% --$22. The next morning, we were unfortunate enough to have the same server. We waited 40 minutes for our food (it wasn't that busy...). The man behind us ordered at the same time and got his food promptly. Ours was stone cold. $43 for a cold breakfast.

Room Tip: Ocean view was great!
Dear Redwood Country,

I am glad that we had a chance to connect after your stay to make this situation right. I was terribly disappointed to read about your experience with us in the dining room. We obviously failed to communicate properly with you regarding “tapas” service and failed to execute the basics (hot food and timely service). We will speak with your server immediately about your experience to stress the importance of her role in guest satisfaction. Knowing this person as I do, I cannot fathom that anything happened out of mean-spirited intentions, but I will not make assumptions for the purpose of my conversation with her.

When we are at our best, Timber Cove Inn is a magical place where memories are forged that last a lifetime. The part of my job that I relish the most is receiving feedback from guests who have been returning for years, or promise to do so because they have enjoyed the place, the property, and the people who take care of them so well. Of course, every hotel has moments when they are not at their best – moments that they are not proud of. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and for providing your feedback as well – even if it hurts to read it.

Rocklin, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Timber Cove Inn and our room provided us with an amazing view of the ocean during the day and stars at night. In addition to the view, our room was equipped with a gas-burning stove and full size tub. The remote location adds to the inn's charm, but may perhaps lessen the quality of its food service. The one restaurant was really our only option for breakfast and dinner since we wanted to avoid early morning or late evening drives. We ate a total of four meals at the restaurant and at each one, the food server began with listing ingredients and selections that were not available - including basics like steak at dinner and English muffins in the morning. Our final meal, a breakfast, was very poor. They were under-staffed and when the food finally arrived, it was either over-done or undercooked. We did not complain, however, and as we went back to our room, a bleary-eyed chef was just arriving around nine in the morning and the restaurant opened at eight. Since we had such a good time over at the coast and were in good spirits, we found this amusing. We will return to the inn, and will probably eat in the restaurant again, but with lower expectations. Overall, we found the staff to be friendly and helpful in suggesting local hikes.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor and had a direct view of the ocean. I suspect that the view from the...
, F&B Manager at Timber Cove Inn, responded to this review, July 15, 2012
Hello PlumasSierra,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your feedback; though we do not like knowing that we failed to exceed anyone’s expectations, it is precisely these reviews that will assist in our quest for excellence. Your experience is most certainly not the impression we wish to give nor the memory we would like our guests to leave with, and honing our food and beverage operation to the point where each and every guest has a seamless dining experience, regardless of the meal period, is the goal we are striving to achieve. Let me reassure you, the concerns that you’ve outlined in your review are already being addressed.

I would respectfully ask that you do not to lower your expectations of us, however, even a little. Both I and my team are working diligently to ensure an elegant and savory experience, not only for your hopeful return, but for every guest’s.

Until then - cheers!
Jason
Santa Maria, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

This inn is built into the landscape and has some amazing views of the ocean from the clifftops. Our room was small (double beds, two people) nothing fancy, with a skylight over one of the beds which would be nice normally but it was EXTREMELY windy when we arrived and it knocked about the skylight sending some sand down to us. Other than that we enjoyed the location immensely. If you want to escape the crowds of Napa/Sonoma and be in the wilds of CA and drive part of the stomach rolling route 1 for some incredible ocean views this is your place to stay. No choices for places to eat other than the restaurant there but we didn't have a problem with it as the food was pretty good and there is a wood burning stove in the center of it to keep it warm and huge windows overlooking a firepit and the ocean. Breakfast is huge. Our room was inside the main building that has the bar, fireplace sitting and game area (felt very communal) and then the restaurant. If you are an early to bed person this might not be the location for you as we heard the bar patrons until they closed. No elevator in this section either so dragging huge luggage up the stairs can also be loud (my appologies). Walking paths on property are not long but take you to some nice photo spots. There were a few trail runners out too. We watched abalone fishermen getting into the water from shore in the morning from the cliff tops which was pretty cool. Not a traditional hotel which made it quaint-the location is the reason for the amazing-ness of it. We weren't sure what time checkout was and just as we were wondering we got a phone call from the front desk asking us when we were going to leave, right at check out time. Amusing. Good for one night stay then move along to the wine country again.

Room Tip: not in the main cabin area, there is too much noise if you plan to spend time in your room. Also no...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Ben S, Executive Chef at Timber Cove Inn, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
I would like to thank you for your review here on Trip Advisor. I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay here with us. As a managment team we are striving for excellence and these are the reviews that we need to adjust our property to make a much more enjoyable stay for everyone in the future. I am glad that you enjoyed the food. To me good is not good enough so I am always going to work harder to make the food and the experience that much better. Again thank you so much for your comments and I look forward to meeting with you on your future stays here with us.

Ben St.Clair
Executive Chef
Fort Collins, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

On our way from Yosemite to the Redwoods, we chose to take the Costal Highway. Given the added time required, we chose to spend the night about halfway and found this Inn online as an option. The reviews on Trip Advisor made us hesitate as they're so varied, but now, having been there, we understand why.

The further north you drive in California, the more rural it gets. Along with that change in setting is an authentic change in culture. Timber Cove sits just beyond demands of the affluent San Fran bourgeoisie but close enough to still attempt to cater to it. The setting is gorgeous and the facility itself is very welcoming. The staff is professional and the restarant is quite good.

It appears that an attempt is being made to make this a four-star facility. The room we were in (queen with a loft) was not up to that standard, but it fit well into the surrounding landscape. Not at all the typical hotel room, we were delighted by the character, privacy and the great view.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
First off I would like to thank you for stopping in and checking out our hotel despite some of the reviews on Trip Advisor since our buisness has been in operation. Our brand new managment team is doing our very best to take this hotel to new levels. I am glad that you have had the oppurtunity to experience what we have to offer and the direction that we are taking this hotel. We are all working very hard to turn this hotel into a world class place to visit. Thank you for taking your time to write a review and I hope that your next stay with us will be that much more enjoyable.

Ben St.Clair
Executive Chef

Been to Timber Cove Inn? Share your experiences!