“great if you don't like "roughing it"” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casini Ranch Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jenner
Casini Ranch Campground
You added Casini Ranch Campground to your Saves list
Jenner, CA   |
Bay Area, California
“great if you don't like "roughing it"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

This is definitely what I consider a "city person" campground. For the person who doesn't want to be too far from a store, wifi, hot showers, electricity. I took my toddler with friends and we had fun, a large part of it was because it was set up for kids/families. There are several playgrounds on the property.

Here's the catch. You could end up with a terrible campsite or a really great one. By terrible I mean nothing but a little space to fit maybe a two man tent and a small vehicle, and with no shade or privacy, and no running water in site and no bathroom nearby. By great I mean having terrific trees bending cozily over and around spacious somewhat grassy areas with a water spigot nearby, wild shrubbery pruned back to border the site for privacy and additional shade, space for large tents or perhaps three or four two-man tents. So the range of what you can end up with as a campsite varies greatly. Check out this private site for map and site pics. http://www.nicoleanddebbie.com/casini/

The RV hook-up spaces are mostly out in the open in a large field where campers are lined up by the dozen within a few feet of each other.

The staff that I dealt with were friendly. The bathrooms were always reasonably clean. There was always hot water. No quarters were needed for showers, however the price is steep to stay here and most things in the store are marked up 300%. A box of "hardwood" (which we later discovered to be mostly pine with two or three pieces of actual hard wood) cost almost $14. It did not last much longer than the bundle of "pine" (some of it rotten and spongy, $7). You can also get an even smaller bundle of "kindling" little blocks of mill cut wood for close to $4. I recommend grabbing a bundle of oak or some other hardwood before getting to the area.

My favorite aspects of this place. The river has many shallow areas and is slow moving. The kayak rentals are reasonably priced ($10 an hour or $30 for half a day). They also have cool tractor pedal bikes that have back seats so you can tote the kids around for some sightseeing ($7.50 a half hour). My kid wanted to ride the bike the whole time.

Important note: this place is not in Jenner, CA. It is in Duncans Mills, CA which is about 15 minutes from Jenner. Jenner is a coastal town. Duncans Mills is on the Russian River in the mountains.

Travel tips? You may find GPS to be confused at times. If you are coming from anywhere east or south of Santa Rosa, take River Road and Hwy 116 from Santa Rosa west through Sebastopol and Guerneville to Duncans Mills and turn left on Moscow Road which is the one and only clear intersection in town (a four or five building town). Casini is just on the other side of the bridge about a half mile from Duncans Mills on the left hand side.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Kamloops, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

As my wife and I drove towards the check-in line-up, we were approached by a gruff and rude older man that, without any kind of greeting or kind words, immediately stated that we were not allowed to unload our motorcycle, period!! We booked this place on the internet from British Columbia, not knowing their apparent hatred for motorcycles!! We are not ruff looking "biker" types, rather very low-key, riding a standard Suzuki, fitting for our ages (53 & 59). Other than the constant cruising past of the rather overweight, and rather slovenly looking "security" junk food junkies, we had a so-so stay. Please state in your website in larger print your refusal to allow motorbikes on your property.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Having previously worked at Casini Ranch for 3 years I was curious as to how the place was going. So, I went along this weekend to visit with some friends who were camping there. I only stayed a few hours and was appalled at the way our friends had been treated. This place is getting worse - you can't have fun here unless you do it silently. Honestly, if you're just talking around the campfire at 10pm you're told to be quiet and go to bed - it's ridiculous. It seems the staff now, and even Paul Casini are all being brainwashed by Mike McCombs - they seem terrified to even smile at you these days. I'm sure a ton of people agree that this is definitely not the campground it used to be. Now it's all about money. I recommend anyone going here on a holiday weekend need to ensure they know how to get out cos if there's a fire this park is way over populated - talk about being greedy. Just be careful if you're either a camper or an employee - these people are ruthless and don't care who they upset as long as they get their money.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

My boyfriend and I randomly decided to go on an overnight camping trip on a Thursday night. He suggested Duncans Mills, so we booked the campsite at Casini Ranch where we both had been before, but not for many years. Since it was a weekday, and their off season, the campgrounds were fairly empty, which was nice. The staff was very friendly and the grounds were well kept up. The campsite was very clean, as were bathroom facilities. A plus was that their grounds are dog friendly so I got to bring my dog, as long as he stayed on a leash, which wasn't a problem. They have a dog park so that dogs can run freely without a leash, which was also nice. We had a campsite right near the river, and went for a walk down on the beach. The only excitement we had was a visit from a couple raccoons. The campgrounds were very pleasant, and peaceful, and we definitely want to go back.

Room Tip: Book early on and we especially liked the campsites in the area of 72A because they were near the ri...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Just fyi. Be prepared to wait in a long line for check in if you come on the weekend. Also it cost a family of 5 on one site 375.00 to camp for four days on a full hook up rv site. Even though the site is for 2 adults and 2 children, they still charged us for 3 extra people at 12.00 each night. To me the 2 children should have equaled at least one adult and they should have charged us for only 2 extra people. Not cool. They were very good about security and kept the bathrooms well equipped. Next visit I would only go during the week as the weekends are intolerably crowded. Long lines for the restrooms. (There are only 3 in the entire campground) They do have showers but the lines are very long for those as well.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Alameda, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

This is a well run, busy, river side campground suitable for and catering to families and non-partiers. There are mixed online reviews on Casini, mostly because they have rules and politely enforce them. That makes the campground enjoyable for those who like clean facilities that work, and who want to be able to sleep at night. As I drove in to our camp site on a holiday weekend I feared the crowd and was pleasantly surprised at how friendly people were, how clean the bathrooms were, the prompt service when we asked for a picnic table that was missing, the movies, beach bonfire, hay rides, decently stocked store. We weren't bothered by bugs in early July. We enjoyed hanging on the beach and swimming. I'd go back, especially at a less busy time. I think there may be Internet service available from Casisni. My AT&T G3 connection was very poor; my Verizon connection seemed better.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Sonoma, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

This was our first trip to Casini. I have to admit that I was a bit nervous because of the previous reviews. I am SO glad that I didn't let them stop me. The grounds are wonderful. They have some absolutely beautiful tent camping sites. We enjoyed a full hook-up site. (#133) Everything was just a short walked away, including great newly remodeled bathrooms with showers. The store seemed to have nearly everything you might need on a camping trip. And the river was great.

There are a lot of negative remarks about Mike. He was there and as great as the campground. Bottom line is that this is a family spot. Quite time is quite time. We were up with fires both nights after 10:00. We kept it quite enough as to not bother others and we would have wanted others to do. No one came by to harass us. Mornings worked the same way. I did see some kids playing ball next to one of the "cabins" where I knew that someone was sleeping. I wish the kids, or their parents, had given that a little consideration.

Lots of dogs. Including mine. They were all on leashes. I don't remember ever hearing any barking. And didn't see any dog poops. Perhaps people are better about cleaning up after their dogs better now or maybe the park staff if working on that.

We will definately go back. We walked the entire grounds Sat morning noting sites that we especially liked. Time to make some reservations.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Casini Ranch Campground? Share your experiences!