“Rude and unfriendly first impression.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Casini Ranch Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jenner
Casini Ranch Campground
You added Casini Ranch Campground to your Saves list
Jenner, CA   |
Kamloops, Canada
“Rude and unfriendly first impression.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

As my wife and I drove towards the check-in line-up, we were approached by a gruff and rude older man that, without any kind of greeting or kind words, immediately stated that we were not allowed to unload our motorcycle, period!! We booked this place on the internet from British Columbia, not knowing their apparent hatred for motorcycles!! We are not ruff looking "biker" types, rather very low-key, riding a standard Suzuki, fitting for our ages (53 & 59). Other than the constant cruising past of the rather overweight, and rather slovenly looking "security" junk food junkies, we had a so-so stay. Please state in your website in larger print your refusal to allow motorbikes on your property.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Santa Rosa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Having previously worked at Casini Ranch for 3 years I was curious as to how the place was going. So, I went along this weekend to visit with some friends who were camping there. I only stayed a few hours and was appalled at the way our friends had been treated. This place is getting worse - you can't have fun here unless you do it silently. Honestly, if you're just talking around the campfire at 10pm you're told to be quiet and go to bed - it's ridiculous. It seems the staff now, and even Paul Casini are all being brainwashed by Mike McCombs - they seem terrified to even smile at you these days. I'm sure a ton of people agree that this is definitely not the campground it used to be. Now it's all about money. I recommend anyone going here on a holiday weekend need to ensure they know how to get out cos if there's a fire this park is way over populated - talk about being greedy. Just be careful if you're either a camper or an employee - these people are ruthless and don't care who they upset as long as they get their money.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

My boyfriend and I randomly decided to go on an overnight camping trip on a Thursday night. He suggested Duncans Mills, so we booked the campsite at Casini Ranch where we both had been before, but not for many years. Since it was a weekday, and their off season, the campgrounds were fairly empty, which was nice. The staff was very friendly and the grounds were well kept up. The campsite was very clean, as were bathroom facilities. A plus was that their grounds are dog friendly so I got to bring my dog, as long as he stayed on a leash, which wasn't a problem. They have a dog park so that dogs can run freely without a leash, which was also nice. We had a campsite right near the river, and went for a walk down on the beach. The only excitement we had was a visit from a couple raccoons. The campgrounds were very pleasant, and peaceful, and we definitely want to go back.

Room Tip: Book early on and we especially liked the campsites in the area of 72A because they were near the ri...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Just fyi. Be prepared to wait in a long line for check in if you come on the weekend. Also it cost a family of 5 on one site 375.00 to camp for four days on a full hook up rv site. Even though the site is for 2 adults and 2 children, they still charged us for 3 extra people at 12.00 each night. To me the 2 children should have equaled at least one adult and they should have charged us for only 2 extra people. Not cool. They were very good about security and kept the bathrooms well equipped. Next visit I would only go during the week as the weekends are intolerably crowded. Long lines for the restrooms. (There are only 3 in the entire campground) They do have showers but the lines are very long for those as well.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Alameda, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

This is a well run, busy, river side campground suitable for and catering to families and non-partiers. There are mixed online reviews on Casini, mostly because they have rules and politely enforce them. That makes the campground enjoyable for those who like clean facilities that work, and who want to be able to sleep at night. As I drove in to our camp site on a holiday weekend I feared the crowd and was pleasantly surprised at how friendly people were, how clean the bathrooms were, the prompt service when we asked for a picnic table that was missing, the movies, beach bonfire, hay rides, decently stocked store. We weren't bothered by bugs in early July. We enjoyed hanging on the beach and swimming. I'd go back, especially at a less busy time. I think there may be Internet service available from Casisni. My AT&T G3 connection was very poor; my Verizon connection seemed better.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Sonoma, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

This was our first trip to Casini. I have to admit that I was a bit nervous because of the previous reviews. I am SO glad that I didn't let them stop me. The grounds are wonderful. They have some absolutely beautiful tent camping sites. We enjoyed a full hook-up site. (#133) Everything was just a short walked away, including great newly remodeled bathrooms with showers. The store seemed to have nearly everything you might need on a camping trip. And the river was great.

There are a lot of negative remarks about Mike. He was there and as great as the campground. Bottom line is that this is a family spot. Quite time is quite time. We were up with fires both nights after 10:00. We kept it quite enough as to not bother others and we would have wanted others to do. No one came by to harass us. Mornings worked the same way. I did see some kids playing ball next to one of the "cabins" where I knew that someone was sleeping. I wish the kids, or their parents, had given that a little consideration.

Lots of dogs. Including mine. They were all on leashes. I don't remember ever hearing any barking. And didn't see any dog poops. Perhaps people are better about cleaning up after their dogs better now or maybe the park staff if working on that.

We will definately go back. We walked the entire grounds Sat morning noting sites that we especially liked. Time to make some reservations.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
napa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2010

We have never been so rudely treated as we were by a staff member and the general manager Mike. We have camped from Maine and back, and have been in 100's of campgrounds and this was by far" the worst experience ever!!" We were accused of not paying for our site on the 18th when we came to pay for the 19th. We explained to the employee we paid cash,and described the two ladies that handled the transaction. We showed her our car passes we recieved everyday including the 18th and she said "they meant nothing. "! So why pass them out? She implied we were lying. She told us we would have to again pay for the 18th and 19th if we wanted to stay. WOW. We asked her to call one of two ladies that took our money and she said they were off for a couple of days. We were forced to leave unless we paid for the 18th once again icluding th 19th. She was very rude, and implied we were liars. Long story short Mags (the lady who took our money on the 18th) confimed we had paid , she had failed to give us a printed reciept, but gave us our car pass.... Soooo.....When Mike finally called me back (general manager) on th 22nd, he was also rude. I was horrified by his policy. I hope the Casini Ranch family knows that this person is unreasonable and running off customers. Mike is aggresive and speaks over you. He said the customer is rarely right.! What a concept. Treat your campers with disrespect and accuse them of not paying. He actually had the audacity to say "I owed him an apology! "......I thought the reviews i was reading were over the top, until my experience. It's too bad. This campground is beautiful. There are geese and ducks you can feed, nice store, and security. The Casini's are and have been a respected family with generations of customer service under there belt. Management and staff are killing there wholesomeness of family values and togetherness. We were in search of a family campground for our "CHRISTMAS" holliday a "camping tradition" and now we are off to Lawson's Landing!!!!..... On the coast, gate house, small store, boat launch, and lot' of land and right on the beach.(well have to hike over a small dune) and CHEAPER ! Great find. Now I'm glad I had to leave. Thanks to bad management and poor staff, we have discovered a gold mine LAWSON'S LANDING. There is a place to eat (italian ) called Dinucci's in Valley Ford....A must. It's like eating in grandma's kitchen.... Also there is a country store with a butcher shop that will slice you the best rib eye you've ever had! (There are also some great produce) The best thing about Lawson's is they have a wonderful staff, they were simply happy we were there. ........I was laughing at the fact that Mike was responding to some of the customers complaints that I was reading on this web site .... Just like I said "instead of apoligizing for his or there staff ,on behalf of the campground and the owners, he blames the camper".!!!!.......Hang in there Casini's "out with the old in with the new."

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Casini Ranch Campground? Share your experiences!