“shame about the weather.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Jenner Inn & Cottages

You added Jenner Inn & Cottages to your Saves list
Jenner Inn & Cottages
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   10400 Coast Route 1, Box 69, Jenner, CA 95450   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Jenner B&B and Inns
stafford
“shame about the weather.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed in Jenner as part of a road trip round California. We decided to stay in Jenner as opposed to Bodega Bay having read that the were more services in Jenner a point I would have to disagree with. The lady on reception was very friendly and provided us with pictures of all available rooms. We chose the Harbour seal room which was beautifully positioned on the Russian river.The room however just seemed tired and dated. Luckily we had some cd's to listen to in the evening as there is no TV and we couldn't get the clock radio to work. The walls are very thin and we could hear our neighbours talking all evening. Although the area is beautiful when we were there the fog was dreadful and therefore the temperatures were low as we only had a couple of days left of our holiday we checked out after one night and went looking for the sun which we found in great abundance in Sonoma.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We were in the Jenner area for a wedding on July 6th. We had a pre-paid confirmed reservation for July 5th and July 6th. When my wife and I arrived, I think Michaela Daniels, the manager, was at the desk. Michaela was on the phone with a lady who thought she had a reservation for that night (July 5th). Michaela told her that she didn't. We had a confirmation number and had been told when we made the reservation that we would have a specific room, I think it was the Charles Jenner room. However, Michaela told me also that all of their rooms were filled and we didn't have one. While I was there, another man came in, also with an apparent confirmed reservation, and got the same answer that I did. I think what happened was that since this was the 4th of July week/weekend, and we had only booked two nights, we got replaced by people who booked more nights. I suspect that this happened to the others who also had made reservations. Michaela did help me find another place to stay on the 5th, but was the last room the place had so it was bad and very expensive. I spent the morning of the 6th, the day of the wedding looking for another room for the 6th, which was good but also very expensive. Anyway, it was a nice wedding. Ray Cardwell, Seattle, WA

Room Tip: Beware! You may not really have one.
Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GoatRock, Manager at Jenner Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Mr. Cardwell,

Let me interject my point of view. You did not have a prepaid reservation, nor did you have a confirmation number. Who travels to a hotel without a confirmation number? It has been over a week since you departed and you have yet to provide me with any type of receipt for your "confirmed reservation", interesting.
Even your family members did not know where you were staying and thought it could have been at another hotel.
As I stated to you before, the woman to which I was speaking with on the phone had a Confirmed reservation for the 14th of July as well as an email confirmation, and has nothing to do with you not providing me with one.
I spent an hour of my time to find you a hotel room, that's what we do in the hospitality industry.

Sometimes people just don't appreciate the assistance we give.

Warm Regards
Lake Jackson, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

The inn worked out great for my wife and I but I can understand some of the lesser rated reviews.
We were on a road trip and just happened to stop by. The lady at the front desk gave me a good brief outline of the rooms and prices. She suggested that I take the keys to a couple of rooms and check them out first which is what I also suggest here in this review--check the room out--before you pay and this will save alot of headaches. The Honeysuckle room just across the street was the one we chose. Nice little front deck with water view with lots of room inside with fireplace,large couch and comfortable bed. The info in the room explains that this inn has gone enviro friendly so you may experience ants small harmless bugs etc... as they do not use pesticides. We had no problem however and the stay was great with very helpful staff. The coffee shop across the street has organic sandwiches and muffins. We ate ate an Indian resturant about 2 minutes away by the bridge--good but prices seemed high to me,as they charge extra for rice so about 21 bucks apiece plus drinks. The inn is centraly located for easy day tours in your car to several little towns which we enjoyed. Again, remember to go check out the varius rooms first before you pay. Also if your neighbors talk loud you will hear them-thin walls.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I have never written a really negative review, so I thought long and hard about just not writing a review at all for the Jenner Inn, but I felt so indebted to all of you out there writing reviews, whose honesty has helped me avoid so many bad situations. So, I felt that I owed it to all of you to tell about my experience. In a word it was uncomfortable. So uncomfortable in fact that if I could have left in the middle of the night, I would have. I was in the Otter River room, and it was so small that with our luggage in the room, I felt claustrophobic. Then after I showered in the tiny, strange, portable (as in from a mobile home shower) the room was so hot that I felt faint. I desperately wanted to open the windows (there is no air conditioning) but the windows had no screens and bugs were swarming to the lights, and we were concerned that we would be eaten alive by mosquitoes because the hotel is on a river. Although, I feel that the very sweet girl running up and down the stairs cleaning rooms, had truly done her best, and the room was not dirty, it was just worn out and run down. It appeared as though the owner had been as cheap as possible in ever way. The toilet tissue and face tissues were stiff and scratchy. The towels were completely worn out and thin, and we were only given 2 towels like at a Motel 6. I always need an extra towel for my hair, and an extra pillow, and usually these items are in the room, especially at a hotel that is somewhat expensive. Even with a Travelzoo special that was supposed to be offering a 55% discount, we paid a total of $115 for the night. There are so many wonderful hotels that you can book for around $100 in this economy that are comfortable and even luxurious, that I just wanted to cry that I wasted $115 on this miserable experience. To make it all worse, it was our 10 year wedding anniversary which happened to fall on a Monday night. The hotel was not busy, and I am truly disappointed that they did not upgrade us to a better room on such a special occasion. I am assuming that some of the rooms are at least more comfortable. If you stay here, do not stay in the River Otter Room.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the River Otter Room. It is too cramped.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

We needed a place to stay as we were just driving down the coast to San Francisco over a few days. We arrived in Jenner after visiting Fort Ross and this was the second place we tried.The rooms looked ok so we booked into 2 rooms. Beds were very comfortable and lovely location across from river.My room was quite small and tv very old. Wifi was zero in rooms so had to stand in the hotel foyer to get reception.Strange sort of shower head and see through ceiling in shower ok unless people in upstairs room looking out their window.
As with many hotels no teabags in rooms but provided in hotel lounge which was very comfy.
Ok but would not call my room romantic as you can hear people walking and talking upstairs as old timber
buildings remodelled into rooms.

• Stayed May 2013
GoatRock, Manager at Jenner Inn & Cottages, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. We are pleased that you had a good night sleeps after a long drive.

We hope to see you again!
Bay Area
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The owner of this establishment is as tired and worn out as his property. His attitude is: "Don't bother me." First, he changed our room unilaterally to a little dump heap that had not been cleaned, and, frankly, was a bit disgusting. He claimed that our original room "might have a pet smell." But the room he selected for us was also a "pet friendly" room. So, go figure. We insisted on the room we had originally selected. No pet smell.

The lethargic computer in the office worked occasionally. It was so old that the track ball kept falling out and reception was sporadic. (There was no Internet access in the room, so we had to rely on the office computer.) Cookies and tea were promised at 4. At 4:45 or so, 4 cookies arrived for 6 people. And they were stale. More were promised, but "had to be baked." At 5:00 we gave up and went back to the room. That was the extent of the food available at this establishment. Thank goodness for the Aquatica Cafe across the road. It had good food. Try the crab meat sandwich.

Then the shower didn't work. We had to use the sprayer. The bathroom flooded and we mopped it up ourselves. It was supposed to be a disabled equipped bathroom, but there were no rubber strips on the shower floor. There was a small rubber mat, but it was at one end of a large shower area. If not for the grab bars, anyone, even an able bodied person, could easily take a tumble, as the tiles were very slippery. The TV had problems too. The remote did not work, and we had to get up each time to turn it on and off and to adjust the volume. There were no directions on how to call the desk from the room phone. We had to go to the office in person to get the phone number for the front desk. (There was no cell phone reception in the room.)

But the crowning glory was when we asked for 2 cereal bowls and 2 spoons to have our breakfast in the room the next morning. (Remember, no food in the place.) The assistant manager dutifully brought us the bowls and spoons, whereupon the owner said to her, "Go back and bring the smaller bowls. I don't want these bowls to be missing tomorrow morning." The misanthrope was accusing us of planning to steal his K-Mart $1.00 bowls. He proceeded to scold me for asking for too much for our Travelocity room rate. He said we had gotten a "helluva deal" and had "too many demands" (like a working TV, computer, phone, shower, and bowls for our breakfast, all of which should be available without having to ask). Two guests who witnessed his tirade just shook their heads that a proprietor could speak to a guest like that. The next morning these same guests told us that they were "offended" by the way he spoke to me, and they would have canceled their reservations had they been able to.

When someone like Mr. Hospitality owns a place like this for 37 years and develops this attitude toward his business and his customers, it would seem it is time to hang up the gauntlet and move on. This place could be (and probably was) a fabulous retreat. The setting is beautiful, and in all fairness, the room was adequate once we claimed it, despite the problems mentioned above. The assistant did all she could to compensate for the failings of the Inn and her boss. She gave us the wine we were supposed to receive with our room rate; shampoo for the second night, which the maid neglected to leave; and some extra cookies to make up for those promised the day before. But what remains in our memory is the rude, abusive, and condescending proprietor who treated us like free loaders, not paying guests. If you stay here, don't overpay, as you will be disappointed. If you have any requests, deal with the women, and avoid the owner. He will appreciate you not "bothering" him.

Room Tip: Good luck!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

The owners of this Inn should be ashamed to sell these rooms. Our room smelled, had torn bedding, the door would not open very far because it stuck on the heaved up floor tiles. Fortunately ,since the surrounding area is gorgeous, we were able to spend very little time in our room-- three nights and could not wait to leave, should have asked for a refund.
The local coffee shop, Aquatica was amazing, it was so nice to get out of our room and enjoy coffee in pleasant surroundings!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at Jenner Inn.

The room in which you stayed for three days, is actually a favorite of many of our returning guests.

Sometimes, due to the weather here along the coast, things tend to swell. We would have loved the opportunity to discuss any issues that you may have had during our 3 nights with us,or even moved you to another room, however, we were not given that opportunity.

Been to Jenner Inn & Cottages? Share your experiences!