“A Ritz, they are not..” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Irvine
SE USA
“A Ritz, they are not..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2007

You get what you pay for. The Atrium is not the Ritz...Marriott, or even a Hilton, Its a non-chain hotel. its funny that so many people on here try to compare it to chain hotels, If you want to pay $200.00 and up for a room at the Ritz, go ahead....Ive been staying (along with company colleagues) at the Atrium for over 5 years, They have always treated us all well, the rooms have been clean, the people are great, the restaurant is convenient and food is good, the bar by the pool area is a great place to relax after work, they used to have a great dance club, but I understand its closed now. All-in all, I think, its well worth the price.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2006

I stayed at the Atrium October 2nd for one night while down in Orange County for work from LA. This property may have been a nice place in the 60s, but it is way overdue for a facelift. I booked in advance and was told a king/queen room would be no problem. Wrong. Got stuck with two full-sized beds. I'm 6'3" tall, so this was not good. Was given a room by the elevator, which has a "ding" to it every time someone uses it. Kept me up all night. The walls seemed to be no thicker than paper - could here everything next door and outside. At check-out, wasn't even asked if I enjoyed my stay. Parking is $10 for self-park...why I don't know. Room was dingy and shampoos/soap were the worst quality I've ever experienced in my life. I travel a lot for work and usually stay at Mariott Courtyards...if you are familiar with these, I would say they are a Ritz-Carlton compared to the Atrium. Just a run-down, gritty, uncomfortable place. Did I mention the sheets and towels felt like sandpaper. Gross hotel.

• Liked — Location...that was it.
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Only stay here if you have to overnight for a flight out of the airport...
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2006

I had to stay at the Atrium because the hotels I normally stay at weren't available in the area that were approved by my employer for corporate travel. Before I arrived, I checked out the reviews here on TripAdvisor, and was very disappointed in what to expect based on all the bad reviews.

I was pleasantly surprised at the hotel and would DEFINITELY stay there again without question. Everything was clean, neat, pool area and patio was a wonderful oasis, the room was just fine, nothing was dirty, everything worked perfectly, the restaurant was lovely and the staff were all very friendly greeting me every time I passed by.

I am sorry these other reviers had bad experiences, but I and my travel companion (in another room) both thought it was just fine -- and a great value for the price -- we paid $95 coprorate rate, so I just can't complain.

Next time we're there, we're staying at the Atrium!

• Liked — Pool/Patio area wonderful atmosphere -- would love to spend a day there by the pool!
  • Disliked — Lots of gates (but it keeps kids out of the pool, and was very safe for them).
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for pool view and confirm once you are there.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2006

Weird is the best way to describe. I have never been compelled to write a review of a Hotel because I stay very patient and "go with the flow" when travelling, I say this to exhibit the honesty in my review of this Crazy Hotel from Weirdsville.
I stayed one night on July, 2006. My purpose for staying was the proximity to John Wayne Aeropuerto. My husband was flying in the next morning after being out-of-town for two weeks, and although I am a local OC resident, I decided instead of fighting traffic in the AM I would take a mini vacation and be within walking distance to the airport. At the time I was 7 1/2months pregnant and had a small child in tow. I had no reservation for the night and after check in I was passively informed (under her breath) that the entire Hotel did not have air conditioning and would I like to bring a fan to my room (funny thing, only the lobby had AC). I asked what was up with the AC and the clerks said it was not broken, only being cleaned and would be turned on within 2 hours (lie #1). It was 7pm so I figured (believed the lie) that it was no big deal because we could have a little dinner somewhere and come back to AC. We did go out and came back around 8pm - by 9:30 no air. I politely asked the front desk how much longer, and was lied to again, I later found out the AC was BROKEN and the front elevator and all of the ice machines and many of the rooms (the one I was in) were in need of serious over haul, etc. etc. The place was not suitable for guests. There were other people staying, but I think they were part of a convention (maybe it was free for them) and I saw Airline employees. I had several conversations with the front clerks (who trated me sadistically, rather than promoting hospitality) and was moved twice. I am leaving out most of the details because there are so many this would become a novel. The point is, the staff could have taken pity on me and been honest about the broken down state of the place, instead they decided to tango with me. In the end I spoke with the owner/manager and was actually given the "special" room with an individual wall AC (the room was absolutely nothing special, any real Hotel has standard rooms which are better quality than this room). By the time I layed my head down it was 1am and my pregnant body was puffed up by the heat/stress. I could have driven th 30mins. home, but while I was in the middle of the guest/front desk tango, my head was spinning and I don't think it would have been safe for me to repack my car, load up my child, drive home at 12:30am, only to return to pick up my husband in the early AM. My experience here will hopefully warn out-of-town visitors that they may have an unpleasant stay that could possibly ruin a precious vacation.

• Liked — Proximity to John Wayne Airport
  • Disliked — Attitude of Staff and overall atmosphere
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Warsaw, Oh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2006

I was never so happy to check out of a hotel in my life. This place looks great from the outside, and it's location is great for anyone using John Wayne airport. Unfortunately, those are the only positives I can think of with this place. I checked in after a long flight from the east coast. I booked the hotel on hotwire, and thought about what a great bargain i was getting. Check in should have been my first clue. The desk clerk didn't greet me, his only words were "I.D. and a credit card", he then gave me directions to my room. My room had no remote control, a quick phone call to the front desk, and I was told they would bring me one right down. Yea right, after waiting for 45 minutes I went and got my own at the desk. Only three channels came in without static and my remote would not access the LodgeNet features. I ordered a pizza from room service on Thursday evening, as of Friday at checkout I still hadn't recieved it. Room 160 is surrounded by an elevator shaft, an outdoor walkway with a pool gate, and the indoor hallway of the hotel. Every time the elevator moves you can hear and feel it in this room. Every time someone uses the gate outside it slams shut and you can hear and feel it. Every time someone speaks in the hallway you can hear it. My door handle was about to fall off. Then to top it off, they tried to charge me for using the bottled water in the room (which I did not) when I checked out. I can not comment on the restaurant, pool, or shops as I didn't use them. Self parking is $10.00 a day, which is becoming the standard at 3 and 4 star hotels in this area. In room internet access is free, but pretty slow.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
Palo Alto, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2006

I stayed at the Hotel Atrium several times for business. Its location right across the street from the airport was extremely convenient for me. No matter when I flew in or when I had to fly out, it was an easy walk to catch my flight or to check in to the hotel. The other reviews really rip into this place, but to me it is just a basic hotel that can be a convenient resting place for traveling professionals. Just know what to expect. I listed some of the features (positive and negative) below:

PROS:
(1) Complimentary internet access (with cable provided in each room)
(2) Prompt room service. Prices ranged from about $7-$10 for a sandwich or burger, $10-$15 for a pizza or pasta, and $15-$21 for specialties like salmon or duck.
(3) Free shuttle service to anywhere within a five mile radius of the hotel
(4) Clean rooms. Two double beds or one king. TV, desk, phone, ironing board with iron, hair dryer, complimentary coffee, coffee maker, and mugs, and several lamps (on the desk, near the bed(s) and sometimes floor lamp as well). Housekeeping service everyday.
(5) Enterprise rental car agency in the lobby
(6) Walking distance to: John Wayne Airport, gas station and 24 hour convenience store (next door), a Bank of America, 24 hour IHOP, and 2 other restaurants
(7) The pool area was nice. There were shaded seats and tables, and while there was the occasional roar of an airplane, for the most part I liked being able to sit out there to do some work. I saw a couple of rabbits jumping around out there.

That is about it, though. Like I said, it is more of a temporary stop for people who do not have time for (or care about) the extra bells and whistles the hotel might have provided. For instance:

(1) There is no fitness center
(2) There is no refrigerator
(3) Room service shuts down at 10pm
(4) Parking is not free
(5) While hot water was never a problem for me, some rooms had difficult toilets, or hard to turn off sink faucets, or dim lighting
(6) The staff was generally fairly courteous but they were not always prompt or organized. They occasionally mixed up room reservations and such. Obviously, this is extremely irresponsible behavior but generally problems can be avoided if you call the hotel directly and verify that meeting rooms and such have been set up according to specifications.

I certainly did not come away with an overwhelmingly negative view of the place, but nor did I come away with the feeling that there was something exceptional about the hotel. It was just a basic hotel. One more thing: if you are going to stay here, you might want to pay a little more for a pool view room. The alternative is a parking lot view, and especially if you are on the first floor, you may not feel very comfortable. I found the room quality to be exactly the same no matter what the view, however.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2006

This hotel was bad from the start, and way overpriced.
There was a mixup in my smoking preference so they changed my room.Front desk clerk did not seem to care and was not very friendly. I contacted the hotel later on the day I checked out and was assured that I would here from the manager in a day or two, a week later no call. Beds are very uncomfortable and pillows are very hard. I wanted to eat at the resturant and could not get anyone to wait on me, I also went to business center and could not get the computer to work. Ok here is the big one, they forgot my wakeup call and I was late all day.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business

Been to Atrium Hotel at Orange County Airport? Share your experiences!