“worst customer service experience” 1 of 5 stars

Atrium Hotel at Orange County Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18700 MacArthur Boulevard, Irvine, CA 92612   |
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Irvine
Arvada, Colorado, United States
“worst customer service experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I walked out during check in, poor customer service, hidden "$50 per day incidentals" fee taken in full up front and said to be refunded after check out, $12 per day parking, poor parking situation. Several customers inquired about parking and we instructed to "go and look for parking!" The lobby area was untidy, hallway where rooms are located had a horrific smell. The hotel manager did nothing to demonstrate hospitality to his customers and was very hostile in dealing with unpleased guests.

Room Tip: I strongly suggest you never stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

It may be that because we booked through "Cheap Hotels.com" that the hotel put us in the worst room that I've ever stayed in in the US. I would compare its quality to ones that I stayed in in Kathmandu, Nepal, a third world country. Smelled bad, very old TV, very dated decor, etc.

I found out that the hotel was undergoing a renovation and we got the 1954 decor! After complaining, they moved us to an recently renovated room

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

Anchorage
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Too many notes to watch my grammar, so apologies for that and here I go ...
Check in at approximately 5:30 p.m. Monday, July 16 - Front Desk Person was in no way welcoming. Did not give me instructions on how to find my room so I wondered a bit.
Find my room, door is stuck. Try the card key again. Get the green light again. Door is stuck. This is when I should have asked for another room or left all together. Wish I would have.
Put the card in again, get the light, push real hard and pretty much fall into my room. Door has to be pulled in just a bit to get the main lock to click. NOT SAFE.
Checked out the room, looks like the cleaning people do really try and there is a coffee pot with coffee so feeling better.
BUT, then I notice the adjoining door to the room next door and I thought I would just double check the lock. NOT LOCKED. REALLY SHOULD HAVE LEFT.
So I settle in and after knocking out work I turn on the TV to get a movie and .... the movie channel does not work. According to the front desk person, this time a man, the movie channel has not worked since they installed new TVs. REALLY! What hotel would not get this fixed right away?!
A few positive things: lots of hot and cold water, really nice pressure in the shower, lots of towels, and the free shampoo, conditioner, and lotion smelled really good.
OK, that was all the good things.
Ready for the really SCARY part? Remember, I could have, should have left!
I am all ready to leave in the morning and go to open the door. It is so stuck. If I had needed to exit the room in emergency it would have been impossible. I finally, after almost calling the front desk, force it open with both hands twisting the handle and pulling so that after almost falling into the room when I arrived I am in pretty much the same position upon leaving.
My recommendation? Stay next door!

p.s. This hotel came up as the first option when I was booking my Southwest Air reservation so I am letting them know too.

p.p.s. I do have to give credit to the guy at the front desk when I checked out. He was really tall and really nice and he seemed to understand what customer service is all about. I think he should transfer to a property who will appreciate his work.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room. Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Santa Rosa, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I sayed at this hotel for one night for business. Usually stay at Embassy suites, or Hilton or Marriott, but could not find a room at the last moment so booked here due to proximity to meeting. I knew as soon as I walked in the lobby it would not be good. Lobby smelled - the type of dank, musty odor old motels have. Room smelled the same - almost seemed like a smoker's room. They tried to update the room (granite counter top in bathroom, new wallpaper) but it just couldn't overcome the outdated hardware, funky sitz type bath tub, old bathroom tile, beat up door. The room was clean, that's all I can say.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We got an old room in this hotel that spent their money on the lobby and courtyard. The bathroom had a pocket door that was very sticky and the paint was worn off. The bath and sink fixtures were old and scratched with the brass showing through. The TV was an old, 15" blurry tube type. The pillows were thin and we had to ask for extras.

The fitness room was just a guest room with the beds removed and had an old stairclimber, elliptical machine, and a cybex that did two arm exercises. No towels or water. Cost was $169 and I had to pay in advance. After one night we moved to a very nice Marriott nearby that was 1/3 the price.

The staff was courteous and professional.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bloomfield, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

When checking in the lobby and pool area seemed fine but as we proceeded to our room my heart sank and I said I wish I did not choose this hotel. The front staff were wonderful and the rate was 92.00 for the night, i would have paid double for another place knowing what I know now. I saw a lot of areas in need of work and updating in halls. Upon entering the room and closing the door the number hand prints and dirt on the back of the door was alarming. My family was shocked. The room needs updating. Would not return here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I'm sure this hotel was amazing 15 years ago (and I use that time frame because that is what the furnishing seem to reflect) by for the price I paid and the location, I expected WAY more. The paint is chipped off on the bathroom dorr, the furnishings are scrtatched and so old they look like they were gathered from Goodwill! The view is non existent (unless you have a thing for parking lots!) and the "food" came straight from the can.

The pool area is lovely and very typical of many older California hotels. The bartenders were friendly...and that is the only positive I have to say about this place.

There is no access to any of the rooms from the lobby!! I had to walk OUTSIDE the building and take a long hike to get to the elevator (which can only be found by passing through the pool area). Then the room signs are so confusing that I was starting to feel like a rat in a maze before I found my room!

There are stairs to walk, regardless of using the elevator, and that is really challenging for anyone who has recently had any kind of knee surgery (which I have). You can hear (and feel!)every time some kid runs up and down the hallway. I was on the 2nd floor and could very clearly hear a lot of movement over my head.

Once in my room, the stench of cigarettes (in a non smoking room!) was horrible. I called the front desk and told them I wanted another room but I was not about to schlep my luggage all the way back to the lobby and then spend another 30 minutes in the heat trying to find the new room. A bellman was dispatched with the new room key and I came to a room that had a broken toilet (it ran all night long and I could not make it stop) and a cracked hair dryer (which I was nervous about using because the crack was located on the plug!) and there is no real tub in the bathroom..only a shower and a strange looking sitz bath sized "form" for the shower.

I've had to pay $14 to park my car in the parking lot that is shared with a couple of other businesses and once you are in here, you aren't taking your car anywhere without getting hit for another $14!

All in all, this was the worst hotel in which I have stayed in all of California. The food was ridiculously overpriced and so was the room. The pool, while decent looking, was very small for a hotel this size.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Atrium Hotel at Orange County Airport? Share your experiences!