“Awful Experience During Renovations” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Irvine
Seattle, Washington
“Awful Experience During Renovations”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I booked my reservation for a week long business trip and imagine my surprise when I arrived and discovered that they were in the middle of renovating the hotel while I was staying there.

Yup, they took my money (standard price) and didn't bother to tell me that:

1. I would need to stay in one room one night and another room the following nights, so I had to checkin and checkout twice.

2. The laundry mat and gym would be closed for two of the days.

3. The hotel would have no water after 10am on a couple of the days.

4. I would enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of construction from early morning to early evening.

I didn't receive any cut rate or advance warning or anything.

Now, if you're reading this, you may think, "What do I care? By the time I visit, they will be done." That's a fair point, but consider this: This hotel is so desperate for money and so devalues its relationship with its business customers that it will charge them full price with no warning to stay in a hotel that is undergoing construction in the exact same areas where you are staying. If you think the mindset that thought this was OK is going to lead to you having a good experience while staying at this hotel for an extended period, I wish you luck.

We have an internal travel site at our company, and you can be sure that my fellow employees will hear about this and think twice about staying here or any Candlewood Suites again.

Room Tip: Ask if your room is under construction.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Korean first
Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

My room was upgaded to a suite on arrival. The suite was nicely appointed and clean, the only minus was the cabinetry showed a bit of wear. The staff was friendly and professional, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

Poor management of hotel and staff. There has been a deterioration of integrity; guests are intentionally given faulty information and no remorse is shown even when calmly confronted about this.

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on Sand Canyon Avenue four times during the past 12 months, and observed that guests are treated as disposables, as if management fails to comprehend and uphold its role in the hospitality industry! We have had two incidences with this hotel. There was an issue with the room that we were incorrectly assigned. When we approached the general manager, he checked the computer and said that he understood the issue and that he would personally fix this by assigning us a different room within a half hour. After 40 minutes, we went to him for the fulfillment of his commit and he said that there was nothing he can do for us. We immediately terminated our stay there.

Thank goodness, there are optional hotels for guests. So we have astutely opted to not return to that hotel. For the sake of other guests, we truly hope for correction of the attitude of indifference towards guests.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Irvine, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

I had previously stayed at this hotel 9 years ago for 2 months during a business relocation and it was fine. I had 2 cats with me and the hotel did everything to accomodate me. This recent 4 day stay was disappointing. The hotel is a bit run down, stained sink, scratchy sheets and a plugged bathtub drain which I requested they fix. 2 calls and a visit to the front desk and nothing was done about it. The 24 cupboard is not well stocked or actually even re-stocked. I watched the same bananas turn brown over my 4 day stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

In town for a small family reunion, this hotel couldn't have been more perfect. Modest in services (no housekeeping during our stay), the hotel has everything you want, whenever you want it.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

I stayed here this week and it was the usual Candlewood Suites experience. The 2 standouts are that it is exceptionally quiet here (that's a good thing), but there is ZERO recognition of Priority Club status. With that I mean no welcome back greeting, no recognition that you are a PC member at all, and no water or cheap amenity snack at check-in. I have seen the Priority Club program with Intercontinental Hotels Group diminish into near joke status over the past few years. Marriott and Hilton are eating their hotel lunch and they really need to try harder for frequent stayers.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
La Habra, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

If you miss the actual street to trun down going past the hospital, you will miss it! Love Candlewood Suites, the rooms are like mini apartments. We normally get the smoking room, this last time it was a bit stuffy, but otherwise this location features a much better stocked hotel pantry. Staff are quite polite and helpful.

• Stayed July 2011
LAXSDGM, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Orange County, Irvine Spectrum, responded to this review, September 6, 2011
Thank you roachiebug!

We are so pleased you enjoyed your recent stay. I’m also glad you mentioned the special care a traveler should take in looking four our hotel. As you point out the hotel is not visible from Sand Canyon Ave. Accessing the hotel is easiest for travelers after entering the Hoag Hospital complex and making a left at the stop sign.

Please come back and visit us soon. The hotel will be completed with its renovations by mid February 2012.

Charles E. Julien

Been to Candlewood Suites Orange County, Irvine Spectrum? Share your experiences!