“Great location, so-so hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County

You added Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County to your Saves list
Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2855 Main Street, Irvine, CA 92614   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Irvine
Minnesota
“Great location, so-so hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

As other reviewers have written, the location is great. We stayed here for one night before flying out of John Wayne airport. We had a 2 bedroom suite. It appeared clean and in good condition. There was a problem with the water temperature in the shower. The airport shuttle wasn't ready to go at the time we'd requested the next morning, so the staff called (and paid for) a taxi. The breakfast buffet was good with plenty of options to choose from. Check-out was simple.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Jason C, Manager at Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Genius09,

Thank you very much for your review. I apologize that you had a few hiccups during your stay. I am happy to say that the water temperature issue has been resolved. It was an isolated incident regarding our water pump.

I hope you stay with us the next time you visit the Orange County area so that you can truly experience the service we provide.

Residence Inn Irvine Airport

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
McLean, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

I will start with the good things. The location is just unbeatable. Souplantation is directly in front of the hotel. 405 is just one traffic away. Ralphs supermarket is just down the street. The District is a five minute drive. South Coast Plaza is a ten minute drive. Newport (Fashion Island, Corona del Mar, Balboa Island, and etc.) also just a ten minute drive.

The bad unfortunately is the Hotel itself. I have stayed at this hotel a minimum of five times (location) and every visit it seems to get worse. The hall way in the lobby has a bad smell. House keeping is just borderline. The rooms have a worn out feel to them. Not sure what is happening but seems like the place is falling apart.

Room Tip: When booking a room for a long stay make multiple bookings to get the best rate or speak to the fron...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jason C, Manager at Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
AnaWaRefeginly,

First and foremost, I apologize for your recent experience with us. We take great pride in our hotel and the level of service we provide. I am happy to say we are in process of a $3 million renovation. I am confident that once we are completed you will be pleased with our property.

I truly hope you will stay with us again to see the exciting changes we have made. If I can be of assistance with anything else please feel free to reach out to me.

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Based upon reviews here, my wife and I are surprised at our experience here. Yes, the staff was generally helpful and cordial and that is no small thing. But it cannot make up for how dirty and disgusting our room and the overall property were. We stayed in a 2-bedroom suite, the most expensive offering at this property.

The chair at the desk was trash. The leather was worn out and torn off of about 1/3 of the chair so the whole front of it was just foam. I understand they are renovating, but this $40 chair should have been replaced years ago. The carpet was stained in multiple places and edges were frayed. When we first got in, my wife went to take a nap with our babies and the sheet had a brown stain. I alerted the desk and they were genuinely sorry and promised to have it changed.

I understand that they are renovating, but we weren't staying in the future after it was done. We were paying a high price ($239/night) to stay there now, and it was generally dirty.

They were full while we were here (for 3 nights) and that seemed to be the mantra from the staff, used as an excuse for not getting things done. I don't care if you are full. It's your JOB to be full. This is when you need to shine. Don't use it as an excuse or look for sympathy. Be PROUD that you are full.

We spent the day out with family and at 3pm to find that our room had not been serviced. I went to the front and asked and was told that they were full and having a hard time servicing the rooms. But the cleaning staff was only on until 4, so if they didn't get to us by then our room would not be serviced. The woman showed up at 3:50pm and I felt awful for her because I could tell how harried she was from being overburdened. She cleaned our room in a few minutes and did the best she could but missed a bunch of things. I do not blame her though because she had another room to service and it was now the magical deadline of 4pm. She was very kind and did the best she could.

The vents in the room were filthy, and it seemed like the filter on the HVAC filter hadn't been changed in who knows how long. My wife and I both were stuffy and sneezy when in the room, and within minutes of walking outside our noses and throats cleared up. The gate that goes from the patio to the pool had several posts that are completely rusted through. This is not a good thing when one has toddlers running around, as we did.

Overall the room and entire property was old and in a sad state of disrepair. Attention to detail and cleanliness here seem to not be high on the list of things important to the proprietor(s.)

We will most certainly not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Jason C, Manager at Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
LA Business Traveler,

I have to apologize regarding your stay here at the Residence Inn Irvine Airport. As you have mentioned we have great reviews and we are very proud of that achievement. It seems that we have not met our expectations but more importantly your expectations.

We love receiving feedback whether it is good or bad. Unfortunately in this case we do have our work cut out for ourselves. As you stated we are in the process of a $3 million dollar renovation, but that does not allow us the excuse to provide you with the experience you had.

I would love the opportunity to speak with you in further to get a full understanding of your experience and our areas of improvement; as well as the opportunity to make things right so that we may regain your confidence. My contact information is listed below.

Once again, I am truly sorry this was your experience with us.

Reno, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

The hotel room and bathroom were clean and spacious. We stayed here one night, and while driving from Reno (9 hr drive) I received a phone call stating that I didn't have enough Reward points, and so would have to pay the going rate instead of the rate I was quoted a month earlier on their website. I had never tried to use my Rewards before, wasn't sure how it worked, so thought I could book the room with my points, and then if not enough, then get the rate of $89. I was informed the day I was going to check in, that because I didn't have enough points, I would have to pay the going rate of $139 for that weekend! Spoke with manager, not helpful at all. He stated he wouldn't honor the rate from a month earlier. He could have honored it easily, but just chose not to because they wanted to get more money for the room on this holiday weekend. Very poor customer service.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Kelli H,

Thank you very much in taking the time and writing a review. We love receiving feedback whether it is positive or negative, it allows us the opportunity to grow and become better.

We pride ourselves on the level of service we provide. It seems we have missed our mark during your stay with us. I would love the opportunity to make this right and truly show you the level of service we provide. If you wouldn’t mind contacting me, my contact information is listed below.

Once again I sincerely apologize for your experience with us.

Palm Harbor, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

The hotel was clean and spacious. Free parking and free internet were great. Hot breakfast was also included, with a very nice selection including make your own waffles. It's not a 5 star hotel, but it had everything we needed. Location was close to the 405, off a major road as well.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Jason C, Manager at Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Heidigale,

Thank you very much for staying with us and leaving such a great review. In addition to what you mentioned I would also like to add that by June 2014 we will have all new guest rooms.

We hope to see you the next time you are in the Orange County area.

Pie Town, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I visited the Irvine Residence Inn again, my last visit being a couple of years ago, and it remains one of my favorite places to stay: still quiet, clean, comfortable, roomier than some Residence Inns, still a first-rate staff at the desk to help out. Updates since the last time: they say they're on the verge of major renovations to the rooms, which is why the desk chair I had looked so worn out with the leather worn down to the upholstery. I stayed in a studio rather than a one-bedroom suite and found that it was perfectly fine, in some ways more accommodating than the one-bedroom because the rooms are all basically the same size and configuration but the one-bedroom has space eaten up with the extra wall and the extra TV in the bedroom (which I never watch). My only gripe is that with the wi-fi, you have to sign in every time you connect, which gets to be a pain. Other hotels I've stayed at have you sign in once every 24 hours, or something like that. But that's a minor inconvenience, I'm still fond of the place and I will without question stay there again on my next stay in Irvine.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Jason C, Manager at Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
JFawl,

Thank you so much for being so loyal to not only Marriott but to the Residence Inn Irvine Airport. We are on the verge of a renovation, which will include the desk chairs and kitchen table chairs. We are also working with our internet service providers and our partners that manage the Wi-Fi system to help resolve the log in issue. I assure you both issues will be resolve shortly.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you again when you are in the Orange County area.

Portland, Or
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this location for three nights in January. The room was the standard Residence Inn studio which offered a lot of space. The only odd thing about the room was the bathroom door opened out instead of in, rather uncommonly. This made the morning routine a little bit of a dance going in and out of the bathroom and using the closet, which the bathroom door blocked when open.

The amenities were generally good. The wifi did require you to re-login, seemingly randomly, but stayed connected if it was in use, for example with Netflix. It did require about 30 seconds to buffer video streams. The breakfast was large and very good for a buffet. Like all RI's, they haven't solved the crowding/bottleneck at the warmers, but this is as much the fault of guests standing in place, or cutting the line. This location had the Manager's Social on three nights, two of which I saw. The first night was just appetizers (warmed up crab puffs), but the second night was a full taco/nacho/fajita meal. Each of these nights had beer and wine without much supervision, if that's your thing.

The immediate area doesn't offer too much, and you really need a car. There are two restaurants in the same parking lot, but a short drive will get you to a couple strip malls or The District which has chain stores, an AMC theater, and lots of chain restaurants. The area does lend itself to running on the streets and there are dedicated bike/foot paths along a nearby, mostly empty, aqueduct.

I would consider staying at this location again if I needed to return to Irvine.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Nickleec,

Thank you very much for the detailed response. I do agree the bathroom situation is a bit of a challenge. This is something we will look into addressing with our renovation coming soon.

Jason R. Cure

Been to Residence Inn Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County? Share your experiences!