“Home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of SpringHill Suites Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County

You added SpringHill Suites Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County to your Saves list
SpringHill Suites Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Irvine
Las Vegas
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Unlike most, I spend two weekends out of the month in Irvine. And have been doing that for 3 yrs. I have stayed in all the Marriott properties in Irvine and Costa Mesa. But this place is by far the best value in the area. Convenient location minutes from John Wayne Airport (off both 55 and 405 fwys), the hotel is spotless, with contemporary lobby, and friendly staff. Rooms are spacious, and well planned out. Partitioned between bedroom section, and living room which has desk and sofa bed, they have iHome, Microwave, refrigerator, and my morning Joe' maker in each room. Awesome free buffet breakfast, free WiFi, indoor pool, gym, and no $20 per parking fees like the other hotels in the area. If there is availability, this is home :-) Highly recommend this place to others...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Phoenix, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

If you look at my reviews, about 95% are positive. That just highlights how very bad this hotel is, and how strongly I recommend you do not stay here. Here are our experiences:
First, we came in to the airport at about 10:00 pm. It was about 10:15 pm after we got our luggage. We went out to look for the shuttle to the airport (the one advertised on their website), and it was not there. I called the hotel and was told by the rude desk clerk (more about her later) that the shuttle doesn't run at that time. So, we took a cab and it was about a 8 minute cab ride. Here's the catch. When we rolled into the hotel's foyer, guess who also rolled in right behind us? The shuttle! It had other guests in it, and I don't understand while I was told directly the shuttle didn't run that late when it clearly did?
Next, we went to check in. I booked the room with a discount rate. When we arrived, the desk clerk immediately demanded my proof that we qualify for the discount. I had a card but it was from 2012, and my new card genuinely had not come yet. That shouldn't be a problem and never has been, in fact in every other hotel I have ever stayed in I wasn't even asked for my card. But, the Springhill must be special because we were rudely denied the rate by the same desk clerk who blatantly lied to me about the shuttle. She then proceeded to lecture us at around 10:45 pm at night after a long flight about company policy. It's just not important honestly, and this clerk was not my Mother. It was only about $20 difference anyways, is the Springhill that cheap that they have to put us through the ringer for $20? Then, the clerk's attitude got worse, and she made us feel ridiculous. We asked her to call to verify our rate and she said it wouldn't matter, and she wouldn't do it. Finally, after her diatribe we were released to go to our room. In the room we called and asked them to verify our rate with the clerk. No problem, they did it, but we didn't know if we got the rate or not, until the next morning - the clerk never let us know.
Finally, we hoped to get some rest. But, that didn't happen! In our room I found (it was not hidden in any way) splashed blood on the walls! Granted it was not all over,but it was clearly drops of blood in a space of about a foot next to the couch. I was horrified! I took a picture of it and will try to upload. But, I was more scared at the thought of dealing with that desk clerk. So we went in the bed area and tried to keep. To top it off, the walls were paper thin and we heard our neighbor snoring all night.
After an hour or two of sleep, we had to get up the next morning to go to the airport for our next flight, we were exhausted! We went downstairs for breakfast and asked the front desk about the shuttle. Guess what? It was running, but wouldn't be able to take us until much later than we hoped. I guessed it only runs on the half hour, and we had just missed it. I wish the clerk the night before would have said something about this while she was lecturing us, we would have gotten up earlier!!!
So, we ate breakfast, which was good - no complaints, and asked for a cab. While my Husband was checking us out, the manager, Steve, was called out because I guess we were a problem couple. Truthfully, we have never been considered problematic before - ever!!! He didn't do much, and eventually went away when we finished checking out. Our taxi never came, it was doubtful it was even called, we took the later shuttle and were late for our flight. That ended our experience at the worst hotel we have stayed at to date,
I would like to think this was just because of one clerk, Gisela, but if she is allowed to work there and treat us like that the real problem is probably much deeper. I mean the blood on the walls was the unreal icing on this terrible cake!
It goes without saying that we will not stay at this little slice of hell again, and probably will avoid Springhill Suites altogether.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience at our hotel. It is truly disappointing to learn that you were not satisfied with your stay. I understand that we have some areas for improvement. I sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations. Our complimentary shuttle schedule has been set at specific times that we have found to be the most accommodating times for our guests and are scheduled around travel time and expected traffic. Our complimentary shuttle works on a reservation system, leaving the property every half hour based on guest requests, and we have one shuttle going back and forth to the airport. We do apologize for the miscommunication on the night that you arrived into John Wayne Airport and that you were told the shuttle was not available. The morning of departure when you requested the shuttle, it was in transit to the airport and therefore the next available time was in the next 20 minutes. I would also like to let you know in order to be consistent with all our guests a valid AAA Card is required at checkin for the discount to be applicable. We have addressed your concerns on the wall stains in your room and have utilized your feedback to improve our housekeeping procedures. We appreciate the time taken to provide us with valuable information to improve our hotel and we hope you’ll someday allow us the opportunity to welcome you back again.
Veracruz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We spent 3 nights at this hotel and it was just what we were looking for in a hotel/suite. My daughter is studying in the area and was able to check in before our late night arrival as I left a note online requesting this and was told there would be no problem over the phone as well.

The room was spacious. My son slept on the sofa bed in the living room area and was comfortable. One thing we had never seen before was the divided bathroom with the toilet and small sink in one room and the shower with a larger vanity and sink in another room. This was a great feature for a family. There was a small fridge and microwave which was nice since we brought back some leftovers from dinner.

We were close to the Orange County John Wayne airport but honestly never heard the planes. The hotel is in a convenient location, close to shopping areas, UC Irvine and Newport Beach. It took us about 20 minutes to get up to Disneyland...great!

The complementary breakfast was pretty standard with eggs, sausage, yogurt, cereal, bagels, English muffins and apples and bananas.

WiFi was fast in the room.

The front desk was friendly when we asked for extra towels and for directions driving.

Great value!

I do not hesitate in recommending this hotel and will be sure to return if in the area!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This hotel is brand new. Located right next to 57 freeway with easy access to John Wayne Airport and OC attractions with car. Free parking compare to other hotels nearby makes it more attractive than others.

Rooms: They call it suite where you have a living room area and separate bedroom area divided by a desk. Bathroom is interesting where the shower area and toilet are in its own separate area so very nice if you are traveling with others. However, that makes the bathroom seems smaller than it should be.

Facilities: Nice gym, indoor pool with ample towels. Free wifi, Free Breakfast. Breakfast is not fancy but adequate for its purposes. Staffs are very nice and would recommend for others who needs a short stay in this area.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms next to Elevator
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Fountain Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Honestly, I was really thrilled with this hotel. The rooms look exactly like the pictures on their website, so that was a very pleasant surprise. So much free stuff going on here which was why we decided to go with this hotel. Free Parking and Wi-Fi (fast connection). They even offered a complementary breakfast which included scrambled eggs, sausage patties, fresh waffles you can make yourself, along with the usual bagels, cereal, fruit, etc. The staff was very friendly and greeted us upon arrival. I didn't hear any airplane noise like I read in some of the other reviews and even though our room faced the fwy it was very quiet. Location was great as well, very close to South Coast Plaza and the fwy on ramp and off ramp for travel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Montclair, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Great location to Orange County John Wayne Airport 5 min. and Disneyland 20 min. with a free airport shuttle on the half hour. BREAKFAST INCLUDED and was wonderful with hard boiled as well as scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, muffins, english muffins, toast, cereal, waffles, fruit, milk, juice and coffee. COMPLIMENTARY coffee 24 hrs. a day in lobby. Loved the size of the room, very comfortable with iPhone clock, internet access, small refrigerator, coffee maker, ironing board, hair dryer, desk, couch, & HUGE flat screen tv. Could not hear the airplanes but I could hear snoring and noise from the neighboring room :( NO BATHTUB but the shower was big and in a separate room than the toilet which I liked. Overall was worth the $109.00 with tax that I paid for one night. I had the king room and I would say w/the pull out co that it would be comfortable for up to 4 in a room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

My brother and I stayed here for a few days in early February 2013. After much deliberation on where we would stay, I'd have to say that this was the best value that we could find in the area. Very good price for what you get - Free Parking, Free Breakfast, In-Room Microwave/Fridge, Free Wi-Fi. Many surrounding hotels only offered some, if any of these all in one.
The hotel grounds and interior were very clean from what I could see - no complaints. Our only interaction with staff was upon our arrival, as we did not have to ask for housekeeping during our 4-night stay, and the woman we checked in with was very friendly.
The room was very nice, modern, updated. Pocket doors closed off the shower area and toilet area, which was very interesting. Plenty of room to move around, the layout was ideal.
I did have a chance to utilize the workout room, which was very clean and had some basic cardio machines and weights.
Survey says: Will stay again if given the chance.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to SpringHill Suites Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County? Share your experiences!