This place is heaven. So heavenly, in fact, that we just had to write and tell anyone thinking of going just how special it is. Soneva Fushi isn't any old super-luxury resort in the Maldives, it is the owners' unique vision brought to life, a quintessential desert-island hideaway with an intensely personal touch and a strong ethos. From the moment we touched down in our seaplane on the ridiculously clear blue water and stepped out onto a small wooden raft with a sign reading “Soneva Fushi International Airport”, we knew it was going to be right up our street. Our very own Man Friday was waiting to welcome us and relieve us of our shoes, which we didn't wear again till we left a week later. No News, No Shoes is part of the island's philosophy, which pretty much sums the place up. So, if you are looking for a flashy stay somewhere with all the gadgets under the sun, you are barking up the wrong palm tree. But if you really want to log off for a few weeks and get back to nature in all its unspoilt beauty, then we really can't recommend it enough. Don't be mistaken, though, Soneva is still super-luxurious, just in a different way. They call it Intelligent Luxury. There is everything you need presented in the most charming and eco-friendly of ways – and nothing you don't (although I suspect most requests, however off-message, can be accommodated). We stayed in a Robinson Crusoe villa, which is the ultimate hut on the beach. We loved the fact the (gigantic) bathroom was al fresco and it was lovely to go upstairs to bed, especially when you wake up to an uninterrupted view of the implausibly turquoise Indian Ocean.
The whole set-up is so incredibly private, it often felt like we were the only two people there. With our children back at home, it was a bit like a second honeymoon – and we were treated as well as if it had been our actual one. It seems that everyone who works there can't believe their luck and there is a fabulously relaxed vibe around the place. Every member of staff we came into contact with, from the owners themselves, to our charming Man Friday, our villa attendants, waiters, diving instructors, even the in-house astronomer (!), was friendly and attentive without ever being over the top.
We were rather lazy and spent the majority of our days lounging in the sun and tootling around on our bicycles from villa to restaurant to bar to beach through the lush, sun-dappled jungle. There was also a visit to the dreamy spa, some wonderful sunset yoga with Pawan and a lot of world-class snorkelling. Sharks, turtles and an array of tropical fish unlike anywhere else we have been were literally 20 yards from our villa! There is bags more to do if you've got ants in your pants, from diving to tennis, to wine tasting and so on. We loved our movie night at Cinema Paradiso, where we feasted on homemade ice cream and popcorn and drank nightcaps under the starry night sky. If you've got kids with you, don't worry, it's a perfect playground for children of all ages.
You'll never get bored of the food, most of which is grown in the island's sensational vegetable gardens. We ate and drank like kings wherever we went. Watching the sun go down at one of the cocktail parties on the islands's private sandbank is about as good as it gets. And whatever you do, do not leave without a trip to the observatory to see the moon, stars and other planets in all their glory. Stunning!
Soneva Fushi is a one-off. It's a very special place and we urge anyone to go at least once. A huge thank you to everyone there for making our holiday such a memorable one. We cannot wait to go back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Soneva Fushi Resort in the Maldives, is the original desert island hideaway. The resort that set the tone and the standards for every subsequent resort. A jewel of an island – large by Maldives standards – with perfect beaches, a vibrant reef encircling the island, a colony of nesting turtles and its very own world class observatory.Located in the Baa Atoll, Maldives' only UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve, Soneva Fushi is blessed with extensive coral reefs and significant biodiversity including large concentrations of whale sharks, manta rays and marine turtles.The resort is perfect for romantic couple getaways, or family holidays as it provides unique experiences and activities for all, from diving and snorkelling with the marine biologist, to sandbank dinners and a children's den (playground). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, Despegar.com, Odigeo, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Soneva Fushi Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Soneva Fushi By Six Senses Hotel Kunfunadhoo
- Soneva Fushi By 6 Senses
- Soneva Fushi Hotel
- Soneva Fushi Resort Maldives/Kunfunadhoo