“A movie scene” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kunfunadhoo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“A movie scene”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Boarding the seaplane at Male Airport feels like entering a movie scene. Adventurous and exciting. But relaxing and luxurious at the same time. Our role in this movie is a simple one. Just being there and enjoying our part is all we need to do. The scenery at Soneva Fushi is astonishing. Every day and every time of day reveals impressive surprises that make our stay unique.

This location contains so many things that just need to be explored! First of all the exquisite food that can be enjoyed at different restaurants that each have their own style and atmosphere. The attentive staff is always pleased to guide us through the menus that range from Maldevian, Japanese/Korean to Mediterranean. During the day one of our favourite places is Bar(a)bara. Here we lounge in hammocks that are located over the ocean and enjoy a fruit juice. Exploring the crystal clear waters with our snorkelling gear is a joy. All kinds of reef fish never fail to impress. Meeting a sea turtle and some juvenile reef shark are a great thrill as well. While enjoying another cocktail during sunset a group of frolicking dolphins completes the scene. What a day!

Our villa is located at the sunrise side of the island. It contains all luxury we may need and it fits the natural feel of the island nicely. Using the bicycles that come with each villa, all parts of Soneva Fushi are within easy reach. At night the paths are beautifully lit and a short ride through the rainforest leads us to the outdoor Cinema Paradiso. Another experience we'll never forget. Watching a classic movie under a star-lit sky is a perfect ending of another perfect day.

Lounging at our private stretch of beach is total relaxation. Some days that's all we do. No need to do anything else. Breakfast offers all kinds of buffets. Some croissants, a fruit juice and a great coffee is fine with me. But there's fresh fruit, pancakes, eastern dishes and so much more to choose from. During breakfast our Mr. Friday kindly asks us if we need anything today. He takes care of all the things we need. Today he only needs to make a reservation for the At The Beach restaurant where we'll enjoy the Japanese/Korean cuisine tonight. The rest of the day we relax…

Quite some more wind and a choppy sea. I shift focus, it's time for a little more action. Catamaran sailing is my choice. Since I'm not an experienced sailor and the winds are strong the Soneva Fushi captain accompanies me. It's going to be a rough ride. Great! Getting up to speed some impressive waves seem to send us straight into the sky. A little later we sail monohull and fly over the bright blue patches that dot the deep blue ocean. Keeping my balance and assisting the captain is exhilarating and tiring as well. Once back on shore it's already time for lunch. A fruit juice, please! That will do this time.

Soneva Fushi offers exactly what we're looking for. That real island feel that's so hard to find these days. We've seen some nice places around the globe, but this combination is unique: luxury, gastronomy, pristine island life and total relaxation. Let's visit nearby Nibiliga Island. This is another take in the movie we seem to take part in. Wow! Just another Soneva Fushi Experience with an even more intense island feel. Nibiliga offers a pure white stretch of beach, a beautiful lagoon, an inviting reef and an amazing lunch. Lunch..? Yes, a lunch at your own, private island. Arriving after a half an hour speedboat ride the staff sets up an extensive lunch while we explore the island. This means testing the loungers and looking for shells. When the table is set the staff leaves and we enjoy lunch. Nibiliga is ours for the day. Sipping a great wine we soak up the beauty of the island. Every single degree of all 360 is pure nature. Breathtaking…

Our role in this movie lasted for almost two weeks. Unforgettable! Postponing the moment as much as we can, it's inevitable. We need to leave the scenery we fell in love with. This includes putting back on the shoes we took off when we entered the scene. We'll miss the feeling of white sandy beaches and teak wooden floors under our bare feet. But we'll cherish the lifelong lasting memories we collected at Soneva Fushi. Thank you for that!

Room Tip: Villas at the sunrise side of the island have even greater views. The Experiences are just what the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MLESAManager, General Manager at Soneva Fushi Resort, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

My Team and I loved your comprehensive feedback of your recent stay at Soneva Fushi. It was such a pleasure to have you as our guests and we are proud to have played a big role in your wonderful ‘movie scene’ holiday experience.

We cherish memories of your stay with us too, and we hope you will return sometime soon.

Laurie Burr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Arabic first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I loved it, every bit of it. Your mind is thankfully left alone to relax, rejuvenate, and only focus on experiencing everything, from the forests to the beaches, the reef sharks, the rabbits that are everywhere, the massages, the food, sports, your tan....

Thankfully, most of the eating areas make you feel like you are halfway through a picnic in a park where everyone’s relaxed happy and friendly. Nothing seems like contrived service; it feels like good local hospitality, which is why it seems unfair to refer to the eating areas/options as ‘restaurants’. The food itself was a ridiculous variety of unique freshness (a large number of fresh and unique fruit, jams, sorbet, ice-creams , salad greens, genuinely fresh fish), along with all the other regular stuff most of us want (freshly made waffles, pancakes, etc). The Japanese blew me away- the quality easily and surprisingly rivaled big names in fine dining. It was surprisingly lovely to have that quality of food while barefoot on an island with rabbits staring at you. My wife and I had a private seafood BBQ for our wedding anniversary, and the level of detail and care that was taken was outstanding. Similarly for the castaway island experience our family had one day – few things in life can match this.

The service is fantastic - you do feel like thanking your hosts when leaving, as if you actually had been invited to a friend’s island for a holiday. Be warned, all of this makes it harder to trudge back to civilization. I absolutely loved the fact that I seldom had to do anything that resembled city life -no news, no shoes, no plastic cards, minimal paper, herbal chemical free products (soap, insect repellant). You wake up each day feeling fresh, relaxed and revitalized, and you sleep like a baby at night.

They’ve chosen a fantastic island (there are many more), my test is restricted largely to size, quality and quantity of fishes, animals on the island, plants, trees and proximity to top quality snorkeling. As is common with island life, I did find it critical to regularly use insect repellant for the villa and myself. They do have all the basics – wind surfing, kayaks, diving, dolphins, tennis, and an outdoor movie theatre (gorgeous given the number of stars you can see),

To Sum Up, all the Maldivian islands are gorgeous, but its the service, and the quality of life/health/food available here that made Soneva Fushi a huge winner in my head. A week at this place with fresh food and air, super hospitality and nature, did more to help my back problems than months of exercise and experts have done. Also, I think of it as being everyone’s duty to support businesses that demonstrate their commitment to being eco friendly and self sustaining, as these guys so passionately do. It was more of an “experience” as opposed to a “stay”. I loved my experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your compliments and your wonderful feedback. You’ve summed up everything that we are most proud of - the Soneva service, the culinary experience, the camping trips and most of all our commitment and initiatives to protect nature whilst creating a sustainable business - we call this intelligent luxury.

My Team and I are certainly motivated by your compliments, and it is a great testament indeed of our commitment towards the Soneva philosophy of creating innovative, enlightening, SLOW LIFE - it’s about illuminating lives whilst treading lightly on the earth.

Should your future travels bring you back to the Maldives, it would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again.

Cannes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My expectations were high having been overwhelmed by a recent family holiday at sister resort Soneva Kiri (see separate review dated November 13th 2012), but even so they were exceeded by Soneva Fushi, a beautiful island paradise for the modern tourist with a conscious. It's difficult to imagine a more idyllic setting anywhere in the world, and the management's commitment to intelligent luxury, sustainable development, organic food & healthy living is both refreshing and inspiring.

The beauty is enriched by the warmth of the staff, always smiling and always at your service when you need them without ever being imposing. It was evident that they are well-looked after by their employers and happy to be on the island just like everyone else. Their positive vibes were an important part of the overall experience.

Just like Soneva Kiri, the food was superb. There was plenty of choice and once again I had to discipline myself not to overindulge in the the "chocolate room". We were fortunate enough to eat at the Japanese restaurant on the beach where every mouthful was an absolute delight. It ranks alongside Benz at Soneva Kiri as one of the most incredible dining experiences ever.

The proximity to nature was also breathtaking. On our first day we were treated to an improvised show from a family of dolphins at sunset just metres away from the Bara Bara bar. The access to the coral reef so close to the beach made snorkeling easy and an absolute pleasure every single day ... and many relaxing moments were spent cycling around what seemed at times like my own private exotic jungle.

I was lucky enough to be part of the most amazing New Year's Eve celebrations ever. Credit to the management for organising such an inspired set of events that included cocktails on the offshore sandbank, a culinary tour around the island, a great live band brought in especially from the French Riviera and dancing barefoot in the sand through the early hours of the morning. There couldn't have been a more perfect way to welcome in 2013!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Such a glowing review - thank you for taking the time to share your holiday experiences with the world! We’re glad that you chose to usher in the New Year at Soneva Fushi and that you had a great time enjoying all the festive events that we had to offer.

My Team and I are happy to have played a significant role in your great stay with us and we look forward to your return, hopefully soon.

Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

As soon as you step off the resorts boat onto the main jetty, you are greeted like family.
Everyday you wake up you still cant believe you are there.
Service from the staff was outstanding, and the villa was by far amazing! The food was outstanding and easily catered for my dietry requirements.
They make their own chocolate on the island, and iver christmas made a huge gingerbread house! Also the whole New Years Eve night was brilliant! Tasting around the world food, around the island. My family certainly did enjoy it and I know the staff did too which made the experience even better.
We also enjoyed the snorkelling as we were lucky to see sea turtles. And my partner was able to do his advance diving course with no problem as the instructors were helpful and friendly; he also had a chance to see some Rays!
I would like to Thank all of them for making our holiday amaxing and would never forget it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. It’s great to know that you had a good experience staying at Soneva Fushi during the festive season and that you enjoyed the New Years Eve night of tasting food from around the world!

Yes, our gourmet chocolate room is a favourite among all our guests especially the children – we’re glad you liked it.

Do come back for another holiday with us - we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you, hopefully soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This was without a doubt the best beach holiday my husband & I have had. We had been to the Maldives once previously, and decided to try Soneva Fushi after a friend recommended it.

We loved the relaxed atmosphere of the island - our Man Friday took our shoes on the boat from the sea plane to the island, and when our bare feet touched the sand, it was bliss. It actually felt strange putting shoes back on when we had to leave!

Our Soneva Fushi villa was great - very spacious and private. The style is rustic chic, and you can tell a lot of thought has gone into kitting the villas out with anything you could possibly need. I particularly loved our outdoor bathroom and garden area.

The food on the island was amazing. The selection at breakfast was huge, and in the evening you had a choice of three restaurants, which is great as it means the guests are all spaced out on the island and it never feels like there is a lot of other people there. All the restaurants have a relaxed and casual atmosphere which we loved.

We had the dinner on the sandbank which I would recommend - the sandbank offers a perfect view of the sunset. We also did snorkelling ourselves off the house reef, and a few scuba dives too. The visibility and quantity and diversity of marine life was some of the best I have ever experienced. For the dives we were in a group size of 2-3 people + instructor which was great having that personal attension.

Getting around the island is either by foot or bike (or buggy if you need), and I loved cycling in the morning to the sunrise yoga class when not many people are around. I also highly recommend the spa.

Overall, it was a fantastic trip and I can see myself returning at some point in the future. It's a place great for couples and families alike.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MLESAManager, General Manager at Soneva Fushi Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

My Team and I are grateful to receive your wonderful review of Soneva Fushi. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and our hospitality, as well as the spacious and private villa, the dining experiences, the snorkeling and dives and all that we had to offer.

We are glad that this was the best beach holiday that you have had, and we certainly look forward to your return, hopefully soon.

Stockholm, Stockholms Lan, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

This resort is worth a trip, it is expensive but you will not be disappointed! The place, the staff, the food, everything is better than you can imagine. We took boat trips for snorkeling with the resort marin biologist, even if we only were 4 people, they took us out on the reef. It was amazing! The house reef is very good, too. The marin biologist (Federica) was very nice and very helpfull and teaching us about the fish and the coralls.
We had a private sandbank dinner, the staff made every effort to make this a very special night for us. We tried their wine tasting and it was of very good quality. The island is very beautiful, the villas are not to be seen from the beach. You are not disturbed by neighbours. It takes about an hour to walk around the island. Don't bother to bring shoes, you walk barefoot for the whole stay! The observatory is amazing, the people working there will tell you all about the stars in the sky. It is not a place with golden taps, it is intelligent luxury as they call it! We have absolutely nothing bad to say about this place. We have never met friendlier staff, the chefs are very ambitious so the food is fantastic! Don't forget to bring an underwater camera!

Room Tip: Choose a villa on the sunrise side if you don't want to see an local island.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MLESAManager, General Manager at Soneva Fushi Resort, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and we are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly the food, boat trips, snorkeling, sand bank dinner, barefoot experience and all the facilities we had to offer.

We look forward to having you stay with us again and to the pleasure of serving you, should you plan to visit the Maldives in future.

Tivat, Montenegro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

They call it intelligent luxury, and I did not really know what that meant until I arrived. Local, organic, sustainable, caring for the environment around them; all in the context of beautiful food, kind people and jaw dropping scenery. Soneva Fushi has all the essential ingredients of a 5 or 6 star resort, but you can tell they approach things from a different angle. I appreciated no news and no shoes; dressing to impress or being online 24/7. I left rejuvenated!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at Soneva Fushi. We are glad that you liked our SLOW LIFE philosophy, which is to create unforgettable, enlightening experiences that rejuvenate each guest's love of SLOW LIFE. It's about illuminating lives whilst treading lightly on the earth.

It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again should your travels bring you back to The Maldives.

Laurie Burr

Been to Soneva Fushi Resort? Share your experiences!