“Rude Service, overpriced food!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Manka's Inverness Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Inverness
Manka's Inverness Lodge
You added Manka's Inverness Lodge to your Saves list
30 Calendar Way, Inverness, CA 94937   |
Ranked #5 of 11 Inverness B&B and Inns
Truckee, California
“Rude Service, overpriced food!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2006

My husband and I were spending a week in Point Reyes. We were staying at a vacation rental house which was very nice but was lacking a hot tub. We decided that we would really like to spend the last couple of nights of our vacation soaking in a hot tub. We were informed by friends that Mankas was one of the hotels in the area that offered rooms with private hot tubs. We called up Mankas and were informed by a very rude receptionist that the rooms with private hot tubs ranged from approx. $400-$700 a night. That seemed pricey to us seeing as how we were only paying $175 a night for a beautiful vacation home with bay views. However, we decided to go to dinner at Mankas and check our the accommodations while we were over there. We were not at all impressed with our dining experience. When we arrived for dinner we were told by the rude hostess to "take a seat" in the lobby. However, the very small lobby was filled with people and there was not a single seat anywhere. There were crowds of people standing against all available wall space also. We retreated outside and waited in the cold. We were relieved to finally be seated at our table 20 minutes later than our reservation time. We were not at all impressed by the food and we were even less impressed by our service. When we ordered a bottle of $100 white wine the waiter brought it out to the table warm and with the label ripped and torn. It looked like a $5 bottle of wine that they had picked up at Safeway. And anyone that has drank warm white wine knows how horrible it is. They put a pitcher of water at your table and it is your responsibility to pour your own water. The waiter was cold and rude and made HORRIBLE wine recommendations. He recommended a Cabernet with a meal that consisted of mostly seafood! Dinner consisted of 1 oyster, 1/4 of a small dungeness crab (which we had to clean and pick ourselves), mediocre duck and the worst dessert I have ever eaten. The portions are very small. We were still hungry at the end of the meal and went home and cooked some burgers. After our dining experience we decided that none of the rooms at Mankas could possibly be worth $400-$700 a night! Everything at Mankas seems to be overpriced. And everyone working at Mankas seems to be cold and rude. Not a warm and welcoming place to eat or stay. Don't bother staying here. I wouldn't even bother eating at the restaurant.

Stayed March 2004

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Berkeley, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2005

My husband and I stayed at Manka's in May to celebrate his birthday. We wanted a quiet getaway and thought we'd found the right place when we saw Manka's website and its promise of a serene, tranquil setting. But tranquil it was not. The $500/night cottage we stayed in was about 50 yards from the kitchen and an incredibly loud exhaust fan kept us awake all night. My husband went to the front desk twice asking that they turn it off and each time he was told that it would be shut off "soon", but it never was. We were booked for two nights, but after one sleepless night, we decided to leave. We were charged for two nights in spite of this. I tried for six weeks after to get a refund or credit, and each time I called was told that they were sorry and would send a gift certificate, but they never did. I should add that the food in the restaurant was extremely strange, not at all the type of meal you want to pay top dollar for.

• Stayed May 2005
Louisville, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2005

An absolutely romantic spot a little over an hour north of San Francisco. Quite different from but ranks up there with the Ahwahnee, Auberge du Soleil, Meadowwood and Ventana with regard to ambience, food and places I love to go when in San Francisco. Can be quirky, so you have to be open-minded and not pretentious.

• Stayed April 2005
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2005

I just stayed at Manka's with my well behaved golden retriever. The various guide books touted Manka's as being "dog friendly." The guide books are wrong. Manka's is, at best, dog tolerant, but not friendly, and there is no place at Manka's where your dog may join you except your room. If you venture out to try Manka's dinning room (well worth the money) Manka's requires that you leave your dog in your car. (Since it was quite cold, I managed to talk the Manka's receptionist into calling an off-duty kitchen worker to see if he would stay with my dog in the room at $10/hour.) Also, the only rooms dogs are allowed to stay in are Manka's worst, and are not charming or special like the cabins for which Manka's is known. If you want a truly dog-friendly Northern California experience, try the Cypress Inn in Carmel.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2005

For my husband birthday, I booked a night in Room 7 in the Annex and made dinner reservation for Sunday night. Check-in time is between 3 and 5 PM. We arrived a few minutes before 3PM and had to wait nearly 40 minutes for check-in. To our amusement (having read the spotty service one could expect at Manka's on this website)3 other couples were waiting for their rooms too. Now dinner is at 4:30 PM, one sitting only on Sunday!
Well, after being told many times that housekeeping was still working on our room, we were given an upgrade to Manka's Cabin! The most beautiful cabin in the property! We were told that the hot tub had a leak and they just found out about it. So we got the outstanding upgrade and apologies for waiting.

Dinner was exceptionnel, and I am not easily impressed! My husband had a blast, and still talks about his birthday get away.

We both highly recommend Manka's for the great food, the absolutely delightful decor, the unpretentious ambiance, and the beautiful Inverness area.

This is a destination for lovers, for people who enjoy quiet, nature, simplicity, and comfort!The most romantic place I have ever been!

We will return, as soon as we can afford it!

• Stayed November 2005
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2005

After reading the previous posts, I was a bit nervous about our weekend stay in Room 10 in the annex. I have wanted to visit Manka's Lodge and restaurant for years and finally bit the bullet and splurged. We definitely had the "entry-level" room, which was cozy (tiny) but very nice. We appreciated details like Kiehl's bath producs, Frette robes, ridiculously fantastic linens, an unbelievable shower and two of the most comfortable chairs I've ever had the pleasure of lounging in with a good book.

Service was...fine, but odd. I can't quite put it into words, but no one seemed to be able to let go of their formality. They smiled and such, but there was definitely a stiff facade that made me personally feel a bit...unwelcomed, which seems to be the wrong message to send at a lodge. After walking to the office to request ice (there are no phones in the rooms), I was assured a bucket would be brought to our room immediately. Twenty minutes later, I gave up and we opened the red wine -- the ice never came. It was no huge hardship, but why couldn't they follow through on such a simple, common request?

Bottom line: this isn't a place you visit to be fawned over or treated with intuitive service. You go here to be left alone in your very comfortable, inviting room. A big plus: walls are virtually soundproof...that, combined with an exceptional bed, will guarantee a fantastic night's sleep.

• Stayed September 2005
Portland, ME
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2005

Minuses: Do not believe the web site- Manka's is not some remote hunting lodge with views of Tomales Bay. From our pricey "Balcony room" in the main lodge our only view was some telephone wires, next-door ranch-style housing, and glimpses of the bay. The restaurant offered good food, but was exceedingly pretentious, with spotty service and wait staff pushing overpriced wines. Valet service is non-existent.
Pluses: Genuinely nicely appointed rooms- quite rustic. Good old-fashioned claw tub with "Two-person minimum" sign above it.
Overall- definitely not worth the money. If you want to experience magnificent Point Reyes National Seashore, stay at a cheap motor lodge and see what's really worth seeing.

• Stayed September 2005

Been to Manka's Inverness Lodge? Share your experiences!