“Experience the Restaurant, Forget the Lodge!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Manka's Inverness Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Inverness
Manka's Inverness Lodge
You added Manka's Inverness Lodge to your Saves list
30 Calendar Way, Inverness, CA 94937   |
Ranked #5 of 11 Inverness B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“Experience the Restaurant, Forget the Lodge!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2005

We stayed a weekend at Manka's for our 3 year anniversary, and splurged on dinner as well.

The dinner was adventurous, European, and kindly.. if not expertly... served. The lighting & decor are secretive and dark.. great backdrop for a long romantic dinner.

Our room in the main lodge was tiny but cozy; nice amenities, and big soft bed.
Our problem was entirely with the service, and attitude following. The continental breakfast we ordered the night we checked in was completely forgotten about the next morning ('hmm, seems the order was never placed', we were told). Then, we discovered that our room hadn't been cleaned while we were out on Saturday! This was apologized for, but no discount, bottle of wine, offer of breakfast, etc was offered. When we pressed about this, and the sharp disjunction between service and rates (our room was nearly $400/night) upon check out, the manager informed us that she'd have to check with the owner before she could grant any discount. She never called as promised, nor returned an e-mailed inquiry.
That's just plain rude, and NOT the way to run an Inn on repeat business.

Enjoy the dinner, but stay elsewhere in the wonderful area. There are many fine Inns and Lodges to choose from.

• Stayed July 2005

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2005

This place is not for the faint of heart. In choosing to stay here, one must remember it had its beginnings as a hunting lodge and it seems many of its first guests left their prey behind to decorate nearly every corner of the inn.

I just returned from a night at Mankas where I reserved a room with a tub. Room 8 was much smaller than I had expected based on the reservationists’ description. However, the bed was comfortable, the fire was warm, and the walls sound proof – noticeably missing were the tub and hand soap. As I noted in an earlier review, it seems “mis-describing” rooms is not uncommon. When I questioned the fact that there was no tub, I was told, “Perhaps you misunderstood the way the room was described to you as our reservationists call it a full bath with shower. All of our reservations know every detail of our rooms.” Funny, their expert reservationists made the same mistake with another couple who requested a room with a tub and, too, were disappointed.

After reading their website, I’m wondering if the reservationists have read the descriptions. The website’s description is “rooms eight and ten are appointed with separate showers…” What is the shower separate from, the bedroom? Additionally, when I booked the room I had a choice of a room in the lodge or the annex. I was told there is no real difference between the rooms, yet all the rooms in the lodge have tubs. Small difference. In fact, they sound like much nicer rooms than those in the annex with “vintage baths, showers that open to the sky, artisan tile and large decks.” Perhaps they thought they had a better chance of selling a room in the lodge for a Sunday night.

To be fair, I was offered a glass of wine or a bottle of champagne to compensate for the problem. Given we’d just uncorked a $50 bottle of wine in our room, I did not desire their choice of remedy. I asked the manager to think about what she thought was fair and to get back to me. As it turns out, ignoring the situation was her interpretation of fair. At check out, I raised this issue to the day manager who told me she knew of the issue (odd that she was not going to address it either). An offer of an upgrade on a future stay, breakfast or, at a minimum, a final apology at the end of our stay would have gone a long way.

What makes this so disappointing is that Mankas is on the cusp of being great. The food is outstanding and definitely adventurous. We had a wonderfully paced, expertly served, plentiful meal accompanied by a few bottles of a rarely found pinot noir. And breakfast the next morning was more of the same. Everything at Mankas is a little strange, including being told, "We've run out of soap and we've gotten a lot of complaints about it," but that is part of its charm. They need to figure out (or perhaps they do not care to) that they can keep the same vibe and offer 5-star service. I’ll likely go back, for dinner if nothing else, but not as quickly as I would if their customer service did not need so much polishing.

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2005

We ate at the restaurant in August 2004. We were staying in the area and were looking forward to a real treat.

The food was fine. The decor was too dark for my taste, but it was okay. The service, however, was a joke! The waitstaff kept messing up, giving us other people's dishes, etc., and never apologizing for the mistakes. After a while, we just had to laugh at how bad it was.

What bothered me the most, though, was that the couple next to us -- who, if anything, got even worse service -- nevertheless tipped 20 percent! Come on, people . . . if you reward incompetent service, there's absolutely no incentive for the staff to improve.

We won't be back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2005

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon and fell in love with this place. I had heard about the restaurant from a friend, so being foodies, we had to try it out. when I found they also were an Inn, I thought that would be a perfect weekend honeymoon retreat.

The thing that appealed to me most was there are no phones, no televisions and you are so tucked in to the mountain, you can escape everything! Having just come from a 250 person wedding weekend, we were elated to "hide-out".

We stayed in "Manka's Cabin", the priciest of pricey rooms, but hey it was our honeymoon. The bed was bout 5 feet off the floor and everything was down! You sink in for the BEST sleep you've had since you were a kid! Don't even get me started about the shower! It's outside tucked into the wall (very private) but you can smell and feel the coastal air while you shower! The soaking tub really is big enough for two, my husband and I had room to spare while we both soaked our wedding whirlwind away!

The food and atmosphere at the restaurant is unlike you'll ever experience, it' so cozy and dark in there, it's almost creepy...but in a good way. This is definately not a retreat for those on a budget, as we ended up spending as much there in 3 days as we could have on a 10 day Hawaiian trip, but it's very intimate and a one-of-a-kind experience.

I hate to say anything negative, but only one little thing was disappointing, the other cottage on the property is directly adjacent to the other, in fact, you share a driveway, so I'd of prefered more privacy, but they were very quiet. The personal outdoor hot tub on the deck is kind of visible from other units, so I was nervous to let it all hang out, and I would have prefered to have more privacy.

Also, the shopping areas of Point Reyes and Olema are SUPER close drive for fun mini-trips. You HAVE to go the Olema Inn for their "locals night", so much fun, live band and great tapa's style food-very friendly staff.

sanfrancisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2005

my husband and I stayed in the "Fishing Cabin" 3 times, rooms 1 and 2 several times and the glorious "Boat House", which was an experience never to be forgotten. The linens, decor, beds, (incredible) food and pristine beauty of the environs makes us go back again and again (and dream of going soon). I hate to sound like a cliche, but this place is magical...

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2004

The Inn booked us in a smaller room than was described to us. Then told us that we were mistaken and the innkeeper argued and told us we booked the wrong room even though it had been confirmed. The rooms were dirty as if they had not been properly cleaned. We were told that breakfast came with the room. What they did not tell us was this was an additional 45 dollars... I think that there are much better places to stay for this kind of money. They could learn something about service!!!!!!!!!

Been to Manka's Inverness Lodge? Share your experiences!