“Great Bed - front desk staff could have been better” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wingate by Wyndham Los Angeles International Airport LAX

Save Saved
You added Wingate by Wyndham Los Angeles International Airport LAX to your Saves list
Wingate by Wyndham Los Angeles International Airport LAX
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10300 La Cienega Boulevard, Inglewood, CA 90304 (Formerly Hampton Inn Los Angeles International Airport)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Inglewood
Vancouver, Canada
“Great Bed - front desk staff could have been better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We checked in for one night prior to a flight out of LAX. We received a good rate through hotwire, which prompted us to book with them instead of a Starwood hotel, which is who we usually book with.

When we checked in, the gentleman at the front desk had a surprising amount of paper work for us to fill out. I have never - even in extensive international travel at mom and pop hotels and chains alike - had to fill out so much paper work. It was just odd. The guy was also not very friendly or welcoming.

Once we got to the room, it was very clean, modern and the bed was heavenly. Seriously, one of the best hotel beds I have ever slept on. There was quite a bit of noise out the window, so if you are a sensitive sleeper you may want to bring earplugs.

All in all, even with the long check in, and unfriendly front desk staff, I would book this hotel again as I loved the bed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
WingatebyWyndhamlax, Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Los Angeles International Airport LAX, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
I am sorry that that happened to you, I am not sure about the extra paper work and if you could contact the hotel so we could discuss it. You should only have to sign a registration card. I am not sure what else you would have had to sign. Thank you for the nice review of our hotel. I hope you will try us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Korean first
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I've always found the Wyndham beds extremely comfortable and this location was no exception. We stayed for 2 nights and when I called the front desk for extra towels and coffee they were delivered within minutes. The breakfast was a different type eggs the second day, which was a nice change. If you have a car, you get free parking and you are pretty close to anything you need such as convenience store, drug store and restaurants. If you don't have a car, they have free airport shuttle service. I did wonder if being to close to the airport there would be noise, but it was very quiet. They also advertise if you aren't happy you don't pay, so you really can't lose on this one! I judge places by bed comfort and my husband likes a nice shower. This passed both tests. You have a small fridge in the room, ironing board, hair dryer, basically anything you need. And oh yeah, the internet is free. Free shuttle, free internet, free breakfast. Great deal. We booked through AARP and got an even better rate, so check around.

Room Tip: we were on 6th floor road side and no noise issues at all
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. It isn't very close to anything except the airport but we knew this going in so it was not a problem. The rate was good and the free breakfast was a bonus. Overall the common areas of the hotel were clean and the rooms were very clean also. I have seen other reviews complaining about the front desk staff but we had no issues with them. The lady we dealt with was polite and answered our questions. My only negative is the day we arrived there was a weird chemical smell in the hallway on our floor. But it was gone the next day so maybe someone had spilled something. Overall I would stay here again.

Pro: good rate
breakfast included
Free Parking - this is a big one!
clean hotel

Con: May not be the best location for someone who is not just overnighting.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Halifax, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Well, this may sound like a broken record for this hotel, but hopefully with another review that sends the same message, maybe the owner will consider doing something about it. I will never stay here again. My family and I decided to stay at a 3-star hotel with a price we could afford through an online booking site during the first three days of January. We were not concerned about the location or proximity to the airport (the jets did not affect our sleep...two adults and three kids, two rooms even and odd numbers).
Pros...rooms were clean, and the king sized beds were very comfortable. The maintenance and cleaning staff really do a good job, and went the extra mile to help us enjoy our holiday in the LA area. The breakfast was good for kids (waffles, yogurt, breads/bagels,...).
Cons...the front desk service.
There was no else checking in when we arrived. We were given two rooms with king sized beds. When I asked if it was possible to have a room with two beds, the front desk clerk said no, it was impossible, because that is what you booked. (We did not book king sized beds, nor did the online-booking service give us that option, and it was not apparent from our receipt that this was the case either). I did not push this, and two of my kids shared the king sized bed, no big deal. However, the front desk staff seemed short with us, as if this had happened to them many times that day. I decided that because it was New Years Eve night they didn't deserve any extra hassle and we made it to our rooms. Our room was cold ("sweater cold", even for Canadians) and both rooms were very dark (no ceiling lights, just three dull lamps...very difficult to find anything in a deep suitcase). A maintenance man in the hallway investigated the heating problem and advised us that the heater/AC unit did not work. He apologized, and indicated that it would be no problem if we wanted to move. We agreed, and he returned with a key to the room across the hall from our kid's room. We then went down to ask the front desk to recommend a nearby family restaurant for dinner. The first comment was that there was nothing nearby. When we rephrased, she recommended a good restaurant that was quite a ways ($50 taxi both ways) from our hotel. There were other places much closer, but the family enjoyed the restaurant nevertheless. Upon return to the hotel we tried to watch a pay-per-view movie. After many failed attempts it finally started, but then ended with an error message about half way through. We called the front desk, and they indicated that there may be a problem and that they would not charge us for the movie. At 8:00 the next morning my daughters were surprised by two guests coming into their room. They were in tears and shaking. The guests apologized (it was not their fault), and I went down to the front desk to investigate with my daughters, whose keys no longer opened their door. The senior front desk agent seemed bitter. No doubt things were a little mixed up because we had switched rooms, and we tried to explain this. However, she repeatedly interrupted our attempt, so we waited for her to ask us questions. My two daughters were given the impression that they had done something wrong. When my daughters left, I stayed to point out to the front desk agents that this matter was not handled very well, and that I felt that at least a little apology was due. She simply asked if I wanted to see the manager, which I declined. We avoided the front desk to not exacerbate the situation further. The next morning I needed to print out some vouchers for a tour but the printer was out of paper. As I approached the desk, a taxi driver came through the door and approached the desk. She asked if the person needing the cab was ready. The front desk agent took a mere glance in the waiting area and sharply said "no". The cabbie asked what she should do, and the front desk agent told her that she should just go. (Not, "please wait for a few minutes longer in case the customer is just slightly delayed", or not "did the customer provide a name or room number that I could look up"?). So the cabbie left. I then asked for paper, was greeted with a clear "sigh", and then after some fumbling was given the paper to load into the printer in their business office (two terminals with good internet access).

This is the lowest score I have ever given a hotel. We are very tolerant and respectful of people in the service industry. But it is clear that many of the issues (broken heater, poor front desk service, dark room) are not being attended to. The manager needs to learn how to train front desk staff, or find new staff (i.e. people who are willing to make some effort to help visitors). The young front desk agents there are poorly trained, lack any initiative. As such, I do not recommend this hotel to families, and it is a blemish among some very good Wyndham Hotels at which I have previously stayed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This new hotel was moderately priced for the LAX area with a complimentary airport shuttle, complimentary parking for folks with a car, and a decent morning breakfast. There were other hotels with a lower price but when you add the value of the shuttle and breakfast, I think I came out ahead. The neighborhood is not inviting at night but felt safe during the day. The wireless didn't work for me but they had computers in the lobby and a printer. The bathroom door kept swinging open and the microwave was missing the platter and would have been unusable if I needed it (but didn't). I wouldn't want to stay here for a week but for a quick layover, it's perfectly convenient to get to the airport.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Los Angeles International Airport LAX? Share your experiences!