“Worst hostel I've ever stayed in” 1 of 5 stars

Tradewinds Airport Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4229 West Century Blvd, Inglewood, CA 90304   |
Ranked #23 of 30 Hotels in Inglewood
Melbourne, Australia
“Worst hostel I've ever stayed in”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I read some of the bad reviews before I stayed here, and passed them off as being over the top as reviews are biased towards. To my dissappointment all the bad reviews seemed fairly accurate.
To sum my experience up:
As a single female traveller I booked to stay in an all female dorm. I got placed in a mixed dorm, which I did not realise until I woke up in the middle of the night to men walking around in their underwear. This normally wouldn't have been a problem except that the showers had no door or locking mechanism which made me feel quite uncomfortable. The showers were cold at night, and I had to get someone to fix the hot water (which to their credit they did promptly).

The 'continental' breakfast was only a muffin and tea or coffee. The 'free dinner buffet' was free if you bought a drink from the bar.

The staff were barely helpful, they answered my questions but have not got the right mentality for people working in the hotel industry.

In a nutshell I felt very unsafe at this hostel, and annoyed because all the claims about free things were mostly untrue. I generally don't mind if a cheap hostel doesn't have free stuff but don't advertise it if you aren't going to provide it.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Parkland, Florida, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

As we headed away from the airport on Century Blvd, we noticed tall palm trees in an odd place. That place turned out to be the Tradewinds Hotel. In the Hawaiian/Surfer type lobby, the clerks were kind and helpful. The pool area was really nice and beautifully decorated for Christmas. The hotel/motel looks small from the street, but is large inside. The suite style rooms, meaning two rooms in one area, definitely need updating, but were adequate and clean enough for our needs. This place is a bundle of paradoxes. The bathroom vanity needed to be replaced, but there were three lovely original paintings on the wall. Two nice televisions, but the phone's message light blinked without a message waiting. There are all kinds of freebies. The best one is the free shuttle which goes to the airport at your call. It also goes to the beach twice a day. We stayed four nights with no problems. The hotel offers car rental and park and fly so the parking could be dicey. We had no problems finding a space, but in the busy season it's no doubt a challenge.The restaurant staff is nice, but very laid back and slow. Food was good, but a little pricey. There are plenty of restaurants nearby. It was off season so the price was amazingly low. I would stay there again. If you are the type of traveler who likes puffy white comforters and a chocolate on the pillow, this place is not for you! The Tradewinds is funky and fun.

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room. There are no elevators and the stairs are outdoors. Rain could be a prob...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2014

Staff (reception) was very rude. One of the girls from the reception almost yelled at me, because i asked whick nr my room was. The girl behind the bar was very sweet and kind. The hotel is kind of weird but funny. the rooms are big but very old and oldfashioned. Says including breakfast but thats only coffee and a muffin.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2014

One of kind! Amazing vibe! Free shampagne every day! Heated swiming pool 24/7!
The 2 beadroom suite was huge and uplifting.Free shuttle to Munhuttan beach every day!
Free shuttle to the airport! This hotel is for those who want to buy a miracle for this price.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2014 via mobile

I loved this place, husband hated it! The place feels like a hostel, everything about it made me happy. It's so not nice but it's fun and vibrant and alive. Free muffins and coffee in a.m., free tea and cookies at 3, free champagne party at 6, free cake at 7, free popcorn 24 hours a day. Centrally located pool and tiki bar, pool tables, free book exchange/trade area, always people about. Eclectic mix of people -- I enjoyed it all but not necessarily the most clean cut, upper class kind of vibe. I felt perfectly safe but to each their own. Staff were a little salty but helpful, airplanes landing very nearby and swooshing overhead only added to the experience for me. Never got quiet really but I slept fine. Parking was a little tough but they made it work. TV's in room had a snow/static effect. But I'm still smiling about our stay. Boring it was not. :)

• Stayed October 2014
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2014

Booked this hotel based on it being good price and 2 stars - don't let that fool you - it doesn't even deserve 1. We had to wait for over an hour for the shuttle from LAX - called and was told it would be 20 minutes - half an hour later called back and was told the first shuttle was full so we would have to wait another 20 minutes. We just wanted to get there to get a few hours sleep before our next flight. Upon arriving, the front door was locked and we had to be let in - extremely sketchy. Had to give a credit card or pay $35 cash deposit for the "minibar" even though we had prepaid for the room. If I hadn't prepaid and it wasn't so late, I would have found a different hotel. The room was dirty and windows didn't close all the way. The bathroom was scary. Do not stay here - you're better off staying in the airport on the floor. I didn't sleep at all due to the stress of wondering if I was even safe. Thankfully I was with my husband which helped a bit, but also my children. Let's just say this was an "experience". Hopefully one which will never repeat.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2014

Girls at front desk rude and unfriendly. Room was dirty. .. cockroaches, ants, carpet dirty and sticky. stale smell. Looks like rats have gnawed in the corners of the bathroom. Advertised as a hotel but its a hostel. Nice Cuban guy Carlos at the snack bar and thats it.

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Tradewinds Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!