“Don't even THINK about staying here!” 1 of 5 stars

Motel 6 Indio
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   82195 Indio Blvd, Indio, CA 92201   |
Ranked #14 of 16 hotels in Indio
Tucson
“Don't even THINK about staying here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

Unbelievable. Luckily, I got there at night just to sleep, so I could not see how ugly this place is in the daytime -- wrought-iron and corrugated fencing, a disgusting, industrial-like part of town with numerous hooker-type motels nearby. As soon as I went to my room, a train went by -- loudly -- right outside my window! It was a long, long train -- it seems like it took a half hour to pass -- and it was impossible to sleep. Then, when it had passed, I could instead hear what sounded like loud trucks idling. I looked out the window and saw that there was nothing but huge trucks in a massive lot -- apparently a truck stop. The noise never stopped, except it was interrupted by another train about 30 minutes later. We're talking LOUD! In the morning, I was awoken by another train, followed by REALLY LOUD truck idling -- as it seems the parking lot was home to a truck-detailing business in which cleaning equipment was powered by the trucks' batteries while engines were running. As I showered I was interrupted by several knocks by a maid who was opening my door several times while I was getting dressed in an effort to hurry me out. In the daylight I could see that this place was right in front of a noisy, busy thoroughfare separating the motel from the train tracks. What a place to put a motel -- much less several of them within a few block radius. Noisiest room I have ever stayed in, not to mention a fan that would not shut off, and another fan in the bathroom that of course would not shut off either -- no choice if you wanted the light on. Classy.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

23 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Calgary, Alberta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Long day of driving in the rain, otherwise would not have chosen to stay at this location.
The first thing you notice are all the gates surrounding the place, much like a jail.
The staff (guards)are not friendly or helpful, they take the money and thats about it, no smiles
no small talk. Got in about 9pm, door to lobby is locked, they take a look at you before unlocking the door (big clue as to the safety)
The interesting part is there is a big sign on the counter suggesting signing in to Trip Advisor and writing a review. Maybe they're hoping for a good one!!!

Room is just ok, not particularily clean.
The biggest issue for me was the only thing between you and whoever hangs around this place is a very flimsy door of your room.
RUN DO NOT WALK TO A DIFFERENT MOTEL

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
california
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

Hairs in the shower , and the towels well you might as well use sand paper to dry off with. The television channel selection was one of the best even better then some of the higher class hotels I have stayed. Next to freeway but pretty quiet. A OK place for a night or two.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010 via mobile

Everyone was helpful but at 3:30 am I was awoken by my room telephone ringing, creepy guy kept callin me and then stalked my room so I called the Indio police and they were kind enough to escort me out of my room. I do not recommend this motel

• Stayed January 2011
West Hollywood, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2008

This was the worst lodging experience of my entire life. I have never felt less welcome at an establishment than I did at this Motel 6.

First, my rate was changed upon check-in. The rate that was recited was $15 per night more than what I was quoted when I made the reservation ON THE INTERNET. The person at the desk insisted that I made my reservation on the phone because that is what the computer said. I told them that was not true and she asked if I was calling her a liar. I gave up and took the rate and went on with it...

When we got to the room, it was absolutely disgusting. There was a hole burned in the carpet and there were flies everywhere. I called to ask if they had another room, and the woman threatened to throw me out if I wasn't happy.

The next day, there was no hot water. I decided not to call initially as I have worked at a hotel before without hot water, and I had sympathy for the hotel worked who was undoubtedly receiving countless calls. When the day and the night passed without hot water, though, I decided to make a phone call to the desk the next morning (the 3rd morning of my stay), and ask them what the problem was. They insisted that it was a Sunday and that they were doing us a favor by having a handyman come and fix the hot water... (which shouldn't have broken anyway). The man (JULIEN) at the front desk offered me 10% off my stay, which I begrudgingly accepted.

The day we checked out, JULIEN walked away when I approached the front desk, obviously avoiding me. He went into the back. I asked for JULIEN to the woman at the desk and she said hold on. JULIEN knew I had come for my discount, and he came to the desk and said, "You'll wait" to me, and helped people who were in line behind me... checking people in, checking people out, totally ignoring me. And he said, "What did you want?" when he was finally done with them. I told him I had come for my 10% refund, and he began to interrogate me angrily about how I had supposedly violated their policies... obviously taking out his rage out on me because I am young and he assumes he at least has that on me.

He said, "no, no... I'll give you your discount, little boy, come back." as I was walking away. I just said, "naw, man..." and walked out the door. I couldn't handle it anymore. It really isn't worth the $30 or $4 or whatever to get ridiculed by this jerk who manages this disgusting hotel in a cracky neighborhood.

Also, the hotel is in a terrible part of a terrible town. Even if you are in town for any of the number of festivals in Indio, consider staying somewhere nicer. I have had better experiences at Fantasy Springs and La Quinta... and Holiday Inn Express and Best Western.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — being there, price, service, julien at the desk
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2007

Motel 6, [--]

I'd STEER CLEAR of this place.

I've stayed at cleaner Motel 6's.

Plus, they make you sign a pledge when you check in that
you promise not to engage in illegal activity. Does that
mean this place is a magnet for illegal activity?

The staff could also care less if the Motel 6 here even
meets the basics. My TV remote was missing from my room,
I was informed that the chance of a replacement was
"impossible."

Tip: there are three or four comparable quality motels
on the same block as this one that go for $20-30 less
per night. Going East on I-10, exit at the Monroe St.
exit and turn left a mile later on Indio Blvd. Pass
Motel 6, and you'll find the much cheaper motels of
comparable quality.

Check into one of those -- which all serve Joshua Tree
National Park -- make sure you're room is good, and you'll
save yourself some significant money -- and disappointment.

-Travel.Editor.NYC

• Liked — I was able to leave as soon as possible
  • Disliked — Careless staff; a pledge everyone has to sign at check in not to engage in illegal activity -- that was a first
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2006

I stayed at the Indio Motel 6 for three days while attending the Coachella Music Festival.

I checked in early Friday evening, and was given a ground-level room. I had requested a non-smoking room with 2 double beds. They got the beds right, and the room did indeed have non-smoking signs, but unfortunately it smelled pretty strongly of stale smoke. Unfortunately, due to the massive influx of visitors in Indio for the music festival, there were no other rooms available. The room continued to stink of cigarettes for the next 3 days, despite my best efforts at ventilation.

The room was equipped with standard amenities: phone, desk, TV with basic cable, and luggage stand. The towels were pretty worn out. Note that the room did not include an alarm clock, or toiletries like shampoo -- bring your own.

The housekeeping service was good, as were the front desk staff. The water pressure for the toilet was pretty low and the toilet got clogged on Saturday. As I was leaving around noon I told the front desk that my room needed a plumber. By the time I returned around 1am, it was fixed.

They also initally forgot to magnetize my key card for my full 3-day stay, so I had to return to reception at 1am on the second night of my stay, so that I could get back in my room. This wasn't a big deal, and the staff member on duty was friendly enough about it, but it was a minor nuissance.

The air system in the room was weak at best. Given the hot temperatures standard in Indio, you would think that having a good air conditioner would be of prime concern to them. However, I had the system up on high for the entire stay, and during the day while sunny my room remained around 85 degrees despite having the air conditioner on at full blast.

There was a pool, but it was essentially a concrete hole in the ground next to the parking lot. Not very appealing, and I didn't use it.

Given that I only paid $62.99 per night, and many of the surrounding motels were charing $199+ for the same nights due to inflated festival rates, I can't complain too much. However, if you have the option of choosing another hotel over the Motel 6 Indio, I highly suggest you go with the alternate accomodation.

• Stayed April 2006

Been to Motel 6 Indio? Share your experiences!